Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Splitter! Pueblo - Central Main St, CO will split131.7 miles on I-25, 88.1 miles from Trinidad, CO and 44.6 miles to Colorado Springs, CO.

Splitter! Rochelle, IL under construction at a Casey's.

Splits 116 miles on I-88 (West), 77.7 miles from the start near Moline, IL, 40.9 miles to North Aurora, IL.

Of my list of 100+ mile gaps:
Permit 8
Construction 4
Open 32
Remain 90

Max SeparationNeeded12/31/2021
251405n/k

Last edited:
If we count Canada, then Real Soon Now, Soldotna Alaska to Prince George BC - 1855 miles.
Yeah- As an Alaskan, that gap really affects me. Those two stations are at the ends of the only routes connecting Alaska with the rest of the SC network. I drove my new Model S from delivery near Seattle, WA to my home, about 230 miles south of Anchorage, AK, in nine days in October 2021 via Route 37 and plan another round trip this summer/fall.
So where to locate how many new superchargers to adequately close the gap?

Hey Tesla: My priority sites to fill this, the largest gap in the N American network, would be:

1. Tok, AK
2. Nugget City/Jct 37 Services, west of Watson Lake, YT
3a. Kitwanga, BC

3b. Ft Nelson, BC
3c. Ft St John, BC

4. Beaver Creek, YT
5. Chetwynd, BC

These sites are over two different route options, thus the 3a-3c numbering. Both would shorten a nine day trip to a three day trip. The first option requires only three supercharger stations, the second requires four. They both require overnight level-2 charging between some stations, but you need to stay overnight somewhere anyway. If your car has less than about 270 miles of reliable range, there are mostly good level-2 charging locations to get you across the longer gaps.

Priorities 1-3a use Route 37 (the Cassiar Highway), which has a few overnight charging possibilities between 2. and 3a., but none of those possibilities are optimal. I used one, but it required level 1 charging for two days at a resort operating on a wobbly diesel-powered generator. There is a level 2 possibility at that resort, but it remains unexplored. HIgh-voltage transmission lines are tantalizingly close. Other locations are either not open year-round or are even sketchier. There isn't a whole lot along route 37. A good level 2 option for an overnight stay near Iskut, BC would solve this overnight issue along the Cassiar. Iskut got connected to the grid with BC Hydro in 2014. There is a campground with cabins, and a lodge there, both now have 30a-110v power outlets.

Priority 1 & 2 with 3b & 3c use Route 97 (The Alaska Highway), requiring a fourth SC location, whereas the Cassiar route only requires three (but has the overnight issue). The Alaska Highway is about 100 miles longer than the Cassiar, but more populated. There is reliable level 2 overnight charging at Muncho Lake, between Priority 2 and 3b. It might be easier to build a 4th SC station along the Alaska Highway than to get reliable level 2 charging at an overnight spot in Iskut?

For cars with shorter ranges, these still make a 3-day trip possible because there is solid level 2 charging to fill the longest gaps with 2 hours or so of charging, especially between Prince George, BC and Kitwanga, BC (302 miles), and Tok and Anchorage, AK (318 miles).

Number 4. Beaver Creek, YT, closes a 290 mile gap between Tok and overnight at Haines Junction. There is sketchy level 2 charging at Beaver Creek now. A better level 2 option would be adequate there, but even a 50 kWh "supercharging" station would be nicer. At Haines Jct, there is DCFC. However, level-2 charging there in the off-season there isn't great. It would be nice to have a solid level 2 station at a motel in Haines Jct (or see below). Currently, you'd need TT-30 splitter and extension cord to charge at two rv spots next to a gas station and walk to a motel. Regardless of the route, you need to pass through Haines Jct.

Priority number 5 splits the 272 mile gap between Prince George, BC and Ft St John to 188 and 84 mile segments. There may be already decent level 2 chargers along this route, so #5 might be even lower on the priority list. The next longest gap would be 258 miles between priority 2 and Whitehorse, where you'd eat dinner and charge at level 2 for a couple of hours before making it 96 more miles to Haines Jct, heading to Alaska. Going the other direction, you'd eat lunch in Whitehorse while charging at level 2 before making it 258 miles to priority 2. In between, Marsh Lake has a DCFC station 34 miles east of Whitehorse, a level-2 charger there might help. Otherwise it's Teslin, which is halfway, but is pretty small.

All this said: There are already several DC fast-chargers along the route. Perhaps the cheaper interim alternative would be prioritize providing CCS adapters for those of us stuck on one side of these large gaps!!

Splitter! St. Johnsbury , VT. Development Review Board application found. It will be at a Price Chopper supermarket.

Splits 109.7 miles on I-91, 65.9 miles from West Lebanon, NH and 45.8 miles to the end at the Canadian border in Derby Line, NH.
(Derby Line, VT is known for having a library that straddles the border. The entrance is in the USA. A family was caught crossing the border by cutting across the library lawn. Family expelled after crossing the border using the Haskell Library lawn).

Splitter! Natchitoches, LA. At a Lott Oil (Louisiana company) gas station/convenience store.

Splits 121.3 miles on I-49, 53.9 miles from Alexandria, LA, and 68.5 miles to Shreveport, LA.

Pathetic splitter!

Under construction at a Meijer supermarket.

Splits the 127.3 mile gap on I-69 from Indianapolis, IN to the existing Fort Wayne, IN Supercharger, 121.1 miles from Indianapolis, IN and 7.3 miles to the existing v2 Supercharger in Fort Wayne, IN

Still need a Supercharger in Gas City, IN properly to split that gap.

Splitter!

On I-29, Sisseton, SD will split the 143.1 mile gap, 57.9 from Watertown, SD, 88.8 miles to Fargo, ND.

251395n/k

Nothing on I-83 going north through Nebraska and South Dakota. Desperate need due to climate conditions and lack of charge. Same on I-20 across northern Nebraska. Both are major travel routes.

Reactions: unk45
Nothing on I-83 going north through Nebraska and South Dakota. Desperate need due to climate conditions and lack of charge. Same on I-20 across northern Nebraska. Both are major travel routes.
As has happened through the ages, towns along those routes will need to build fast chargers if they want to attract folks to go through them. Otherwise, in Nebraska, all EV travel will be north to I-90 or South/North to I-80 or South to I-70. Clearly, they already missed out on last 2 rounds of Nebraska State Environmental Trust funds. Maybe there will be more in the future.

Reactions: RTPEV and Prairie
They aren’t interstates.
Supposedly a Supercharger will be installed at a Runza in North Platte, NE. That's US-83.

And to be fair Nebraska is in the biggest gap on US-20..

However, yes, not Interstates.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the United States of America ...

Pathetic splitter!

On I-80, Carlin, NV will split a 125.1 mile gap, 104.5 miles from Winnemucca, NV and 20.9 miles to Elko, NV. Those other two are both older v2..

Supposedly a Supercharger will be installed at a Runza in North Platte, NE. That's US-83.

Pathetic splitter!

On I-80, Carlin, NV will split a 125.1 mile gap, 104.5 miles from Winnemucca, NV and 20.9 miles to Elko, NV. Those other two are both older v2..
What is called Hwy 20 is actually an interstate. nebraska just doesn’t have a million drivers a day….

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: unk45 and Rocky_H

Pathetic splitter!

Yes but it is the junction of I-80 where the rest of the tesla chargers are once you leave Lincoln and Omaha. True, the junction of I-83 and I-80. There is Nothing on I-83 going north all the way into South Dakota and probably nothing going south into Kasas. Its a long, lonely, cold, and windy if not winding road…..barely a campground to be had for 14-50 charging.

Splitter! Rochelle, IL under construction at a Casey's.

Splits 116 miles on I-88 (West), 77.7 miles from the start near Moline, IL, 40.9 miles to North Aurora, IL.

Of my list of 100+ mile gaps:
Permit 8
Construction 4
Open 32
Remain 90

251405n/k
I think you can mark this one as completed.

Yes but it is the junction of I-80 where the rest of the tesla chargers are once you leave Lincoln and Omaha. True, the junction of I-83 and I-80. There is Nothing on I-83 going north all the way into South Dakota and probably nothing going south into Kasas. Its a long, lonely, cold, and windy if not winding road…..barely a campground to be had for 14-50 charging.
Interstate 83 is in Pennsylvania and Maryland. You are referring to US Highway 83.

I wish they didn't have interstate numbers reused in two separate disconnected areas of the country. I was surprised to hear people in the Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut areas talking about I-84, when that is the main interstate through Idaho and Oregon. Local city streets do that sometimes, but I thought they could have avoided it with interstate numbers.

Reactions: Prairie and PLUS EV
Interstate 83 is in Pennsylvania and Maryland. You are referring to US Highway 83.
I stand corrected. Highway 83 goes from the Texas border to the Canadian Border. It is a major north south route. Count the semi traffic Plus locals and tourists. it needs superchargers. As does Hwy 20, another multi-state thoroughfare. Hwy 20 is main route from Black Hills tourism headed to Chicago area unless to take the boring interstate across South Dakota. Hwy 20 is very scenic, topographic variability, historic locations.