Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Splitter!

Chops 40-odd miles off the biggest gap in the east, cutting it below 140.
Wiki update? šŸ˜€

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Splitter!

Splits 113.2 I-76E Start to Cranberry, PA.
79.1 to Service Plaza.
34.2 to Cranberry, PA.

On the Socorro, NM thread @PLUS EV asked if I had a list of gaps 140 miles or greater.

Of course I do!

I posted there, but I figured I'd create a separate thread for it.

Note that:
- I've included some gaps that are future Interstate-ish routes like I-69. Those Interstate routes may never be built, but since they're identified it makes sense they have traffic and need Superchargers, right?
- I don't tolerate much diversion, so for example I-35 from Ardmore to Perry, OK is listed because Oklahoma City, OK is over 10 miles diversion and I-55 is listed because of the relic of Tesla's location desperation, Memphis, TN.
- I ignore urban Superchargers.
- Only a few of gaps listed have even identified splitter locations. Haubstadt, IN and Nevada, MO are under construction. Socorro, NM is identified.
- Watertown, SD to Fargo, ND is listed, and Watertown, SD fairly recently split a larger gap on I-29 from Sioux Falls, SD to Fargo, ND.
-Meridian, MS to Birmingham, AL is on an I-20/I-59 concurrency so listed twice

SeqHwyFromStateToStateGapSplitterStateToFrom
1I-69BrinkleyARKuttawaKY280.1
2I-44Start (US-277/281/287 Wichita Falls)TXCatoosaOK255
3*I-26AshevilleNCNorth CharlestonSC253.8Asheville - Thetford StNC5.7248.5
3I-49TexarkanaTXLowellAR250.3
4*I-26Asheville - Thetford StNCNorth CharlestonSC248.5OrangeburgSC180.469
4I-55GrenadaMSMinerMO239.4
6*I-69KuttawaKYBloomingtonIN212HaubstadtIN108.9103.5
7*I-64Mount VernonILLouisvilleKY195.1HaubstadtIN81.4112.6
7I-40Oklahoma CityOKVan BurenAR194.3
8I-69WLaredo at MexicoTXVictoriaTX184
9I-40OzarkARBrinkleyAR181.6
10I-26Asheville - Thetford StNCOrangeburgSC180.4Columbia - Harbison BlvdSC138.342.9
11I-35LaredoTXSchertzTX173.1
12I-69RichmondTXNacogdochesTX170
13I-74West CincinnatiOHHuntingtonWV158.7
14I-35ArdmoreOKPerryOK155
15I-25Truth or ConsequencesNMAlbuquerqueNM150.2SocorroNM72.879.1
16I-69CStart(PharrTX)End (George WestTX)149AliceTX10941.4
17*I-49JoplinMOEnd (I-435 near Kansas CityMO)148.3NevadaMO67.482.2
18I-40KingmanAZFlagstaffAZ147
19I-69NacogdochesTXTexarkanaAR145.9
20*I-59MeridianMSBirminghamAL144.8CottondaleAL49.249.2
20*I-20MeridianMSBirminghamAL144.8CottondaleAL96.649.2
21I-40GallupNMAlbuquerqueNM144
22I-29WatertownSDFargoND143.1SissetonSD57.988.8
24I-40Start(BarstowCA)NeedlesCA141
25*I-5Grants PassORSpringfieldOR138.4Myrtle CreekOR46.992.4

Aside: this is from a worksheet I have that goes down to 100 miles. That list has a total of 122 unsplit gaps. 9 gaps from my original list have been split (including some splits still greater than 100 miles), 8 are under construction and 3 have an identified ("permit") location.

Updated: Asheville - Thetford St, NC is a pathetic splitter, so closes an entry but adds another one.

Updated: Striking through the open ones. Also added the important Myrtle Creek splitter which was just below the 140 in the original table.

Updated (3): Orangeburg, SC splits Asheville - Thetford St, NC and North Charleston. It's only a partial splitter, and was a large gap, resulting in Asheville - Thetford St, NC to Orangeburg, SC (180.4 miles) being added to the list.

Updated: Tuscaloosa, AL open under construction and called Cottondale, to reflect the postal town.

Updated: Alice, TX splits (Future) I-69C from the start at Pharr, TX to the end at George West, TX

Updated: Sisseton, SD splits I-29 from Watertown, SD to Fargo, ND.
Updated: Columbia - Harbison Blvd, SC splits I-26 from Asheville - Thetford St, NC to Orangeburg, SC.
We're driving west on I-40 from Van Buren, AR and can't make it directly to Oklahoma City in our 2022 M3 RWD. We have to route through Tulsa. Not too out of the way, but still. With the current heat wave in the South we are testing the car's range to it's limit.

Reactions: Prairie
We're driving west on I-40 from Van Buren, AR and can't make it directly to Oklahoma City in our 2022 M3 RWD. We have to route through Tulsa. Not too out of the way, but still. With the current heat wave in the South we are testing the car's range to it's limit.

It's one of the obvious gaps for Tesla to fill, and everybody who drives it should strengthen the signal to Tesla.

Reactions: Prairie
It's one of the obvious gaps for Tesla to fill, and everybody who drives it should strengthen the signal to Tesla.
These little 60 mile detours to reach a charger are a real pain in terms of both time, and distance. One hour there, one hour back. No, Iā€™m not going to Wray, WY from western Neb. When I want to go EAST.

As the number of gaps >140 miles continues to drop, any thoughts on re-doing the first post to show the new top 25, or drop the threshold to 120 miles or 100 miles?

My pet peeve gap is at 110 miles, but not quite visible on your public list. Granted, it's not like being able to "see" it is going to help get it fixed, but I can at least lament it and maybe not feel so bad if I see some worthy gaps ahead of it.

Updated the Wiki for the open Columbia - Harbison Blvd, SC. Congratulations I-26ers on travel getting a little easier.

As the number of gaps >140 miles continues to drop, any thoughts on re-doing the first post to show the new top 25, or drop the threshold to 120 miles or 100 miles?

My pet peeve gap is at 110 miles, but not quite visible on your public list. Granted, it's not like being able to "see" it is going to help get it fixed, but I can at least lament it and maybe not feel so bad if I see some worthy gaps ahead of it.

Don't tell me which gap. I'm AFS (Away From Spreadsheet) but I'll look it up and guess later. :p
But if it's only 110 miles, I don't think it's that close to being visible. There's sadly a bunch of them ahead of yours.

I do want to update the list to make you, me and @PLUS EV happier
- Add a note column so I can indicate gaps where it's just Future Interstate or where there's something between that I've excluded because it's an excessive diversion, restricted access, an Urban SC or there's just a findus "Coming Soon" pin.
- Then separate out all the Future Interstate gaps to another table. Some of them are actually really planned, but some are not.
- Expand the table to add more of the shorter >100 gaps.

BTW in the "not open" list remaining in the Wiki post it goes:
Future+findus Blytheville AR 2023
Diversion OKC 10.5/18 (miles/minutes) - actually this one isn't that bad as far as diversion go.
Future
Diversion Memphis 23/27
findus Henryetta OK 2023
Future
Diversion Little Rock AR 21.8/26
*crickets*
Future
Future
Diversion OKC 19.8/27
Socorro NM Construction
Future+Alice TX Permit
*crickets*
Future
findus Grants NM
Sisseton SD Permit
*crickets*

So mostly "Future Interstates", many of which aren't even really slated for construction, but still a few gaps not even addressed on the findus page.

• Love
Reactions: RTPEV
Ironically the new I-26 gap from Columbia to Asheville is 138.3 miles, which is 0.1 miles from making your list šŸ˜‚ I-26 is slowly filling in!
Yes, it's now #19, and that includes a bunch of "Future Interstate" gaps, plus one Construction and two Permit.
So after I redo the table I-26 will still be there. :p

Anyway,

Splitter! (Just)

Splitter on I-35. (It's I-35E, but I'd already picked that side as I-35.)
Splits 102.6 miles, 83.6 miles from Albert Lea - Happy Trails Lane, MN and 20.8 miles to Oakdale, MN.
(I know, Oakdale, MN is a relatively large diversion, but it's 9.1 miles, within my 10 mile limit)

Splitter!

Newport, ME, located at a Hannaford grocery store will split the 114.4 mile gap, 27.4 miles from Waterville, ME (Construction), 88.2 miles to Medway, ME.
Tesla findus says coming Q2 2023.
There is currently a 10.8 mile, 14 minute diversion off I-95 to a location at Brewer, ME.
(Brewer, ME will still be helpful for making the connection to Baileyville, ME en route to the border crossing at Calais, ME.)

Reactions: kayak1
Splitter!

Splits 113.5 miles on I-20, 48.8 miles from Midland, TX and 65.5 miles to Sweetwater, TX.

Reactions: RTPEV
The gap between McAllen TX supercharger on I-2 which is the closest Supercharger to the start of I-69C/US281, and Three Rivers TX supercharger at US281/I-37 is quite long at 170 miles.

ā€œComing soonā€ in Alice TX will spit this.
Splitter! On Future I-69C, Alice, TX will split 149 miles, 109 miles from the start at Pharr, TX, 41.4 miles to the end in George West, TX.
There is no supercharger in Pharr, you have to divert to McAllen Convention Center just off I-2 if you need a supercharger.

From my place heading north itā€™s 180 miles to the Three Rivers TX supercharger.

Last edited:
The gap between McAllen TX supercharger on I-2 which is the closest Supercharger to the start of I-69C/US281, and Three Rivers TX supercharger at US281/I-37 is quite long at 170 miles.

ā€œComing soonā€ in Alice TX will spit this.

There is no supercharger in Pharr, you have to divert to McAllen Convention Center just off I-2 if you need a supercharger.

From my place heading north itā€™s 180 miles to the Three Rivers TX supercharger.
Pharr is the start of future I-69C!!

I understand that, but this is a case where you canā€™t charge at a Tesla supercharger in Pharr at the start of I-69C, so you have to come from the McAllen supercharger on I-2, effectively making the gap to Three Rivers TX 170 miles, not 149 miles.

I understand that, but this is a case where you canā€™t charge at a Tesla supercharger in Pharr at the start of I-69C, so you have to come from the McAllen supercharger on I-2, effectively making the gap to Three Rivers TX 170 miles, not 149 miles.
Just clarifying his methodology. I don't put a ton of stock in the "future interstates" anyway.

Also, there's no reason you couldn't start a drive in Pharr or any place else. There's no rule that you have to start a drive in McAllen. And actually, the beginning of I-69C is only about 6 miles away from the McAllen supercharger anyway. I believe your issue is more on the other end where George West will be the end of "future" I-69C where it will meet I-37. Then you continue on like 20 miles on I-37 to Three Rivers.

In general it seems like the useful information is how far you have to travel between between superchargers on major US highways/interstates. Obviously if you run out of highway/interstate you have an end case that doesnā€™t reach another supercharger unless you route to a different highway. So just putting that terminal distance to not reach another charger isnā€™t very useful.

Iā€™m just talking about how far you actually have to drive from the closest supercharger to Pharr to reach the next supercharger going north on US281/I-69C. This distance is 170 miles. Thatā€™s the real gap.

I-69C already exists in sections. Otherwise itā€™s US281. US281 already meets I-37 right at the Three Rivers supercharger, so that end is not an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H