Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Largest gaps between Superchargers on US Interstates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The gap between McAllen TX supercharger on I-2 which is the closest Supercharger to the start of I-69C/US281, and Three Rivers TX supercharger at US281/I-37 is quite long at 170 miles.

“Coming soon” in Alice TX will spit this.

There is no supercharger in Pharr, you have to divert to McAllen Convention Center just off I-2 if you need a supercharger.

From my place heading north it’s 180 miles to the Three Rivers TX supercharger.
These lists are just _along_ _individual_ _Interstates_, _from start to end_. This includes some future Interstates, although I have now separated those out in the Wikipost.

The lists in the Wikipost do not include:
- Distances traveling from end to start. These often differ from start to end.
- Travel to the start of the Interstate.
- Travel from the end of the Interstate.
- Travel joining in the middle of the Interstate.
- Auxiliary Interstates
- US Numbered Highways
- State and local roads
- Interstate to Interstate, including crossing International borders. There are some larger gaps created when switching Interstates. I track those separately. (Kaycee, WY!)

In general it seems like the useful information is how far you have to travel between between superchargers on major US highways/interstates. Obviously if you run out of highway/interstate you have an end case that doesn’t reach another supercharger unless you route to a different highway. So just putting that terminal distance to not reach another charger isn’t very useful.

I’m just talking about how far you actually have to drive from the closest supercharger to Pharr to reach the next supercharger going north on US281/I-69C. This distance is 170 miles. That’s the real gap.

I-69C already exists in sections. Otherwise it’s US281. US281 already meets I-37 right at the Three Rivers supercharger, so that end is not an issue.
I totally understand what you are saying. In fact, I had already had this same conversation about interstate to interstate gaps such as Billings to Miles City, MT or Sheridan to Evansville, WY. I was merely explaining his methodology (and then he followed up and explained it in more detail).

Reactions: AudreyHTX1
#25 is now Mountain Home, ID splitting 126.5 miles on I-84W between Boise, ID and Twin Falls, ID.
...which doesn't even need to be done. I drove to Twin Falls on Friday and back to Boise on Saturday. It just makes me madder that they still aren't covering the U.S. 95 route. Splitting that one in half would have two 126 mile pieces.

Reactions: webbbcam and DrGriz
...which doesn't even need to be done. I drove to Twin Falls on Friday and back to Boise on Saturday.
Definitely needs to be done. Having a 126 mile gap on a major interstate served by v2 superchargers is not good at all. Also, Twin Falls is a significant diversion off the freeway. It's fun to watch the BASE jumpers once, not so fun to stop there over and over again.

I'm guessing Idaho superchargers haven't started filling up much yet, but I was on a recent trip through Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana and many of the v2s were full and some even had a line on a summer Saturday and it was no fun at all. Splitting with your paired stall and running the A/C in 100F heat, you get <60kW. And with the slow charge rates, it just snowballs with slow throughput and lines build up fast. By reading some threads, the same thing was happening on I-70 in Kansas that weekend.

So yeah, better spacing and adding v3s will be necessary for even places like Idaho. If the crowding hit places like KS, OK, AR, and LA this year, then it will probably hit Idaho next year.

...later, AFTER highway 95. Additional excess capacity can certainly be on the list, but must be a secondary concern after enabling travel routes.
It isn't really either/or.

Also, from Tesla's perspective, long lines at superchargers along major interstate routes is worse publicity than not having superchargers along a route where they haven't had superchargers all along.

Also, from Tesla's perspective, long lines at superchargers along major interstate routes is worse publicity than not having superchargers along a route where they haven't had superchargers all along.
The Boise Supercharger (150kW, 8 stalls) has always been crowded when I've been there this year. Mountain Home will allow some to skip it.

But @Rocky_H is correct. The US95 problem is way way bigger and what's the plan for that? It shouldn't be either/or, but nearly 400 miles between superchargers on the main route through the state?

1660262595941.png

Last edited:
Reactions: webbbcam

See Kansas. One site had half the stalls gone and they had a whole bunch of people waiting in line because it's a sizable gap either side.
There are two planned to help with that.

Also, Boise, ID and Twin Falls, ID are v2. V3s Ontario, ID to Burley, ID is 210.2 miles.

Splitting gaps gives you more resiliency, more natural stops, better charging regimes and is still particularly helpful now with new often higher-capacity, v3s splitting older, smaller v2s.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD

Right, it isn't either or. One is a project that will be needed at some point in the future, versus the other that is already about 5 years overdue.

And that does really grind my gears where people are talking about how important it is to AVOID using V2 Superchargers, versus connecting a route that takes hours charging on an outlet at an RV park. That's crazy.

Last edited:
The Boise Supercharger (150kW, 8 stalls) has always been crowded when I've been there this year. Mountain Home will allow some to skip it.

But @Rocky_H is correct. The US95 problem is way way bigger and what's the plan for that? It shouldn't be either/or, but nearly 400 miles between superchargers on the main route through the state?

View attachment 839879
Remember cold weather = decreased range, as much as 40%. Add wind. Need high speed chargers.

Reactions: kayak1 and DrGriz
Definitely needs to be done. Having a 126 mile gap on a major interstate served by v2 superchargers is not good at all.
Harrisburg, PA <-> Moosic, PA = 115 miles, and this isn't even out in the wild west! Granted, there are very few facilities of any kind along that route (it's a bladder test!)

Surprisingly I haven't noticed significant crowding at either of those sites. Well, Harrisburg was nearly full on my last visit. Moosic has only been just barely over half full during one visit...the rest of my visits have been pretty empty (and it's a great stop amenities-wise).

Splitter!

On I-90, splits 120.9 miles, 27.3 miles from Sheffield, OH, 94.8 miles to Erie, PA.
Tesla findus also says a better splitter, Mentor, OH to the east, is targeted to open Q4 2022.

Harrisburg, PA <-> Moosic, PA = 115 miles, and this isn't even out in the wild west! Granted, there are very few facilities of any kind along that route (it's a bladder test!)

Surprisingly I haven't noticed significant crowding at either of those sites. Well, Harrisburg was nearly full on my last visit. Moosic has only been just barely over half full during one visit...the rest of my visits have been pretty empty (and it's a great stop amenities-wise).

That gap is currently 50th by distance. I'm hoping they'll split it at Frackville, PA :D

Reactions: RTPEV
That's about as long as the one near me in Sonora CA, I fear Copperopolis has pushed mine off the map however, not really convenient for going over the Sonora pass, probably not a splitter in the traditional sense, but there is a LOT of altitude gain involved in the crossing:

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 8.43.13 AM.png

So I charge at my cabin near Twain Harte. It's some of the best driving I have even experienced over that pass. No DCFC either

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 8.49.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 8.49.00 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Reactions: Prairie
Randy,

Since Mariposa has a SC currently under construction, it is certainly plausible that Sonora might still get some love for those souls spending some time poking around the Mother Lode or who have reason to hit the snow play areas east of you. Maybe Tesla is finding a suitable location difficult--I suspect they'd want it off the 108 bypass near Mono Way rather in Sonora proper. Maybe because Sonora Pass is closed 5-6 months per year that they don't think it is an urgent need since the out-of-the-way Copperopolis SC is on SR4 and, what, a thirty-minute detour if you take O'Brien's Ferry Road?

For me, Sonora would make eminent sense. Coming from the Valley, it is easy to head to Snelling, then north on county J59 to 108 to go east to Sonora. I can make it home easily from east-to-west from Topaz Lake or Mammoth with 90% in the battery via Sonora Pass. Eastbound is another matter.

Splitter!

Splits a 105.1 mile gap on I-85, 78.8 miles from Greenville, SC and 28.2 miles to Charlotte, NC.