Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest tire size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, so I have a long-range Model 3 and it is time to get new tires. The current tire size is 235/40R19. I am keeping the same wheels. What is the largest size tire (all 4 matching) I can get without rubbing (at all, ever)? I obviously don't want to get anything that will damage the vehicle or make it unsafe in any way. I definitely want a wider tire, but if I can get something a little taller as well, that would be awesome.

Part 2: Once we get the size figured out, what model tire would you recommend? I'm looking for an all-season tire. I live in the south, so I really don't need something to perform in snow. TIA!

From what I've read, 265 on the stock wheels.

You also need to be very aware you can't change tire diameter much, because of the knuckle in the front (look into the front wheelwheel at the top).

Also, are you tracking the car?

Okay, so I have a long-range Model 3 and it is time to get new tires. The current tire size is 235/40R19. I am keeping the same wheels. What is the largest size tire (all 4 matching) I can get without rubbing (at all, ever)? I obviously don't want to get anything that will damage the vehicle or make it unsafe in any way. I definitely want a wider tire, but if I can get something a little taller as well, that would be awesome.

Part 2: Once we get the size figured out, what model tire would you recommend? I'm looking for an all-season tire. I live in the south, so I really don't need something to perform in snow. TIA!
As far as the tire model goes, I'd recommend Continental DWS06 Plus, I've put 50K miles on multiple sets of them across multiple cars and they've always been great.

265/35 is generally the largest you can go with stock suspension. 275s get iffy and would depend on brand. Really, at 275 though, you should be looking at suspension mods.
Be aware though that you'll lose efficiency by going wider, if thats even a concern of yours.

Reactions: Lindenwood

@David Shapiro The car can fit much wider tires than you should actually use on the stock 8.5" wide wheels. I think going super oversized will just give yourself mushy handling and worse range for no useful benefit.

On the 19x8.5" sport wheels I'd go for 245/40R19. You get 10mm extra width and a smidge taller sidewall / diameter, but it's still a 100% normal and recommended size for 8.5" wide wheels, and is an easy comfortable fit without risk of rubbing. Any taller and you would risk rubbing, e.g. 255/40R19 likely fits with some tires but probably not all, it's right on that borderline.

If it helps, I'm running 245mm width tires on 8.5" wide wheels on my Model 3 right now. My other Tesla came with 245 on 8.5" wide wheels, and so did my last ICE car.

As for a tire model recommendation, for allseasons in GA I would look to the "ultra high performance" (UHP) allseason category, especially the Continental DWS06+ and Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4. I believe those two are widely regarded as the best in the category, and I doubt you'll go wrong with either of them, though I haven't used them myself.

Running the v2 19’s and I’m wondering if the added sidewall on 245’s will make the wheels look smaller 🤔

I’d love to give the car a smidge of a wider stance and I’m thinking the 245’s will accomplish that better than the stock 235’s

I’m going to apologize first if this sounds like a hijack. Aside from an improvement over the reviled MXX OEM, is it possible to get some protection of the wheel from curb rash with a wider tire? We have a very long thin scrape on one wheel that was entirely avoidable (!) that must remain unmentioned. When these tires wear out I would consider a +1 if it lends to defending the wheel rim.

I changed my tire (accidentally) from 235/35 to a 245/35/20 and my car got messed up. I am curious if anyone knows why or can tell me why?

I drove only 3km with it, but it felt like the computer was completely lost; it showed a yellow car swinging sing (see photo) and the speed was fluctuating. I also heard some weird crackling sounds on the front suspensions..

After swapping them for my old winter tires (235/35) the yellow sign disappeared and the sounds was gone too..

Attachments

• 9CED62D1-418B-4C83-A5FA-0A0EFF97F45B.jpeg
    9CED62D1-418B-4C83-A5FA-0A0EFF97F45B.jpeg
    440.7 KB · Views: 155
I have a 2019 Model 3 LR... 235/40x19 Mechlin Tires. My left rear tire blew, I think a pothole took it out.
I been wanting a wider tire for grip and wheel protection (wheel sticks out farther than my tire).

So I got the two rear tires replaced with Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus 245/40/19.
I think the new tires are .4 inch wider and .3 inch taller total. They do stick out past the rim a little bit.
I did not want to replace the fronts, yet because they are still good.. looks to have about 30-40% thread left.
New tires feel ok.. and are quiet.

my worry...
I will replace the front with Extreme Contact to make it a square setup.. once the front tires threads are low. Maybe by end of year (6-8 months). The rear tires are a little taller (.3 inches) so they spin different from front...
So will this be a problem?
cause faster wear on front or rear or both?
lower my efficiency / range?
damage motors?

I changed my tire (accidentally) from 235/35 to a 245/35/20 and my car got messed up. I am curious if anyone knows why or can tell me why?

I drove only 3km with it, but it felt like the computer was completely lost; it showed a yellow car swinging sing (see photo) and the speed was fluctuating. I also heard some weird crackling sounds on the front suspensions..

After swapping them for my old winter tires (235/35) the yellow sign disappeared and the sounds was gone too..
the warning is about traction control.. slipping traction...

sounds like you only changed 1 tire... 1 tire is taller than the other side.
so your left wheel and right wheel are NOT moving at the same speed.
so the car thinks 1 wheel has lost traction with the road.
i think the clicking is traction control trying to help stabilize your car.