TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Largest width rear tires for 21" wheels

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by artsci, Jan 13, 2017.

1. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Just curious. With 21" wheels what's the widest rear tire one can mount that won't rub?

Compared to the stock 245/35-21 tires, 285/30-21s are 1.6" wider and virtually the same height. 295/33-21s are 2" wider and .2" higher. 305/30-21s are 2.4" wider and .4 inches taller. Any clearance issues should be on the inside fender well which I suppose could be fixed with a modestly wide wheel spacer.

Any thoughts or experiences that can enlighten me?

• Like x 2
  2. ifung90

ifung90 Member

I am running a 21x11 et29 wheel with 285/30/21 rear. However if u are low, you'll rub. I would run 21x10.5 et30-33 offset and run 285/30/21 safely

• Funny x 1
  3. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

I run 275 on the staggered gray turbine setup, no rubbing here. Was thinking of adding spacers like you but that may cause the rubbing especially as I have lowering links.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This question regards the 21" arachnid wheels which I'll be getting in the spring. I already have spacers that will result in et30. Are you saying with that set up 285/30-21 would not rub? That's kind of what I'm thinking.

• Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm currently running 275/35-20s on the rear and have no rubbing issues when the car is lowered, and that's with the 18mm spacers. I think the lower offset the spacers produce eliminate the rubbing.

6. BigCity

BigCity Member

I was running a set of 275 Hankooks Evo2 on mine, went to replace with a new set but they wouldn't install them due to the weight rating being too low. Apparently on a 21" staggered setup the rears have to carry a 102 rating and hankooks are 98 so Discount tire wouldn't touch it. Problem is there is nothing that carries that weight rating except the super sports in a 295 width....they ordered 2 to test fit, but not feeling good about it. If that doesn't work I'm basically screwed as these are 10.5" after market rims.

7. AMSV

AMSV Member

I am looking to buy 19" wheels with 265mm tires for the front and 295mm for the rear. Any guidance on where I can get this job done? I am also going to widen the outer wheel wells to decrease chance of rubbing when the car is lowered.

8. The Duke

The Duke Member

The stock 265 work great on 10.5" width. I have that set up.
    According to Tire Rack:
    265/35ZR21 (101Y) XL 220 AA A 1,819 lbs. 9-10.5"

9. BigCity

BigCity Member

Really, that's good to know but surprising, the 275's already looked like they were pretty stretched on rims like they were...

10. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

What tires did you finally go with on a 10.5 rim?

11. BigCity

BigCity Member

I have not at this point discount tire refused to install any tire on my vehicle because none of them had the proper load rating according to them, so I just put on my winter setup until I could figure out what is going on.

12. GWord

GWord Member

Currently running 22" x 10.5" with a 295/25 series tire. No trouble, although I know you asked about a 21" setup. But from a width point of view, things are fine with 295.

13. BigCity

BigCity Member

Funny you should say that I had anther anther thread about 22s and tire sizes as well as I was debating upgrading. What manf and model of tire are you running? Do you happen to be lowered?

14. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Interesting. Just spent allot of money ordering custom rims. 22 with 25 series tire. How does it ride? I assume it would ride terrible when compared to stock

15. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

Anyone try different brands of tires. I know from past experience allot of different brands fit different even though they are rated the same. Wondering if we can get away with 295/35/21s depending on brand

16. GWord

GWord Member

I'm on Pirelli P Zero Nero GTs. I'm on coils, not lowered but post facelift where the stock height is markedly lower than previously.

17. BigCity

BigCity Member

Perfect that was exactly what I was hoping to hear, I had the exact same tire and rim sizes recommended, plus it looks like you have a performance version of P90D. So shouldn't be comparable to my P100D.

18. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Anyone attempt a 305/25R22? I have a set of 22”x10.5” rears with a +35 I’m trying to match diameter as close as possible. The front wheel is a 22”x9” +30 which I expect I can run a 255/30R22?

Getting mixed results from searches. Most say mild rubbing when turning at full lock but I’m more concerned about getting as close to the load requirements of factory while keeping the same circumference. I presume there would be an issue with dual motors if one is running 2-3 mph faster than the other? Car is a 2017 100D air suspension.

Tires are Pirelli P-Zero PZ4

19. GWord

GWord Member

I had 295/25R22 on the rear with 10.5" wheel width. The wheel was still wider than the tire by a fair margin. I'm sure I could have done a 305 without trouble. I had the same setup you are proposing on the front (255/35) and there was minor rubbing from the passenger side at about 50% wheel deflection. No rubbing at full lock. I used a heat gun to deform the wheel well liner just a tad and got rid of it mostly. But even if I hadn't, it was no big deal. Just a bit embarrassing when backing out of a space in a silent parking lot.

• Like x 1
  20. EVSteve

EVSteve 110% Solar Powered

Any pictures by chance? What offset was the setup? I’m guessing the front spec was a typo? Where exactly did it rub? (My front is 255/30) Appreciate the help very much.