Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Largest width rear tires for 21" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any pictures by chance? What offset was the setup? I’m guessing the front spec was a typo? Where exactly did it rub? (My front is 255/30) Appreciate the help very much.

You're right, it was a typo. 255/30R22. The outside of the tire rubbed right near some of the plastic venting in the liner. The offset was +30, I think. It was almost too much but did take the wheels all the way to the outside, nearly even.

Expect your efficiency to drop like a stone. I lost like 20% effective range with them installed. I bought a separate set of TPMS sensors for my 22s so that I could swap the 19s back on for taking trips. In fact, because I saved the 19s, I was able to keep the 22s when I sold my P90D. I'm going to put them on my P100D this weekend. I'll take a pic on Sunday and put it here.

Any pictures by chance? What offset was the setup? I’m guessing the front spec was a typo? Where exactly did it rub? (My front is 255/30) Appreciate the help very much.

Put the 22s back on this weekend. Here's a few shots that I hope you find helpful:

I did confirm that I've got +30 offset; it was stamped on the casting on the inside of the wheel. Here's the fitment for 295/25. My sense is that there is room for a little more width based on how convex the sidewall is.
Tire1.jpg

Stock offset versus the +30.

Stock +40mm
Tire2.jpg

22" +30mm
Tire3.jpg

And finished product with Vossen 22s.
Tire5.jpg

Put the 22s back on this weekend. Here's a few shots that I hope you find helpful:

I did confirm that I've got +30 offset; it was stamped on the casting on the inside of the wheel. Here's the fitment for 295/25. My sense is that there is room for a little more width based on how convex the sidewall is.
Tire1.jpg

Stock offset versus the +30.

Stock +40mm
Tire2.jpg

22" +30mm
Tire3.jpg

And finished product with Vossen 22s.
Tire5.jpg
Looks awesome. BTW what's the black bar on the front above your front tag?

Is yours lowered at all? I'm about to get a set of 22s and trying to scramble and find a size that will fit and hopefully meet the load rating requirement at the same time. I think the 305s in the rear are the only ones I saw with the proper load rating, short of dropping way down to like a 265, but man would those things be stretched to fit on a 10.5" rim width.

Reactions: EVSteve
Is yours lowered at all? I'm about to get a set of 22s and trying to scramble and find a size that will fit and hopefully meet the load rating requirement at the same time. I think the 305s in the rear are the only ones I saw with the proper load rating, short of dropping way down to like a 265, but man would those things be stretched to fit on a 10.5" rim width.

No drop; stock height although it has the air suspension. I also had these on my P90D with coils and it rode at about the same height as the pictures. Tire load rating is an issue you have to pay attention to. The door jamb sticker doesn't specify a load rating like some other manufacturers do, but it does have max allowable vehicle weight by front and back (GAWR). You can use this to calculate max working load by tire (i.e. divide by two) and compare to the rating that you may be contemplating. The rear tires shouldn't be a big deal with a 97 load rating or better. The fronts on the other hand get close to minimums, assuming that you will ever approach max gross in your car.

Yeah, I think discount tires computers were trying to match the original factory provided tire specs, but since I had aftermarket rims that were 10.5" wide they had literally no 21" tire options to fit on my car for that application. It was a PITA. So the problem is trying to get tires to test fit on my car for fitment that have the load rating required otherwise they won't do anything. Then if I buy on my own online and just have them mounted and balanced I run the risk that they won't fit lol. I am lowered with UP brackets so that probably causes a problem as well, might have to get the Pirelli P Zero's everyone is getting put it back to stock and work backwards from there with lowering links to see how far I can go.

No drop; stock height although it has the air suspension. I also had these on my P90D with coils and it rode at about the same height as the pictures. Tire load rating is an issue you have to pay attention to. The door jamb sticker doesn't specify a load rating like some other manufacturers do, but it does have max allowable vehicle weight by front and back (GAWR). You can use this to calculate max working load by tire (i.e. divide by two) and compare to the rating that you may be contemplating. The rear tires shouldn't be a big deal with a 97 load rating or better. The fronts on the other hand get close to minimums, assuming that you will ever approach max gross in your car.

Yeah, I think discount tires computers were trying to match the original factory provided tire specs, but since I had aftermarket rims that were 10.5" wide they had literally no 21" tire options to fit on my car for that application. It was a PITA. So the problem is trying to get tires to test fit on my car for fitment that have the load rating required otherwise they won't do anything. Then if I buy on my own online and just have them mounted and balanced I run the risk that they won't fit lol. I am lowered with UP brackets so that probably causes a problem as well, might have to get the Pirelli P Zero's everyone is getting put it back to stock and work backwards from there with lowering links to see how far I can go.

Yeah, Discount is a bit of a stickler on matching the rating of the OE tires, even if it was grossly oversized. You'll need to go to NTB or a Mom & Pop outfit. As I recall from my own odyssey into tire/wheel selection, I think the rear clearance gets worse with increasing ride height, not lowering.

Yeah, Discount is a bit of a stickler on matching the rating of the OE tires, even if it was grossly oversized. You'll need to go to NTB or a Mom & Pop outfit. As I recall from my own odyssey into tire/wheel selection, I think the rear clearance gets worse with increasing ride height, not lowering.

Good note on the clearance, I will take a peak, seems like there is part of the suspension that wraps the back portion of the tire that gets closer the lower you go, but could be completely wrong on that. Just remember the 295 Michelin not fitting, but that may just be an extraordinary fat tire or something lol. The rim manufacturer had said they had run numerous P100D with the Pirelli 295 in the rear....I personally would like even more meat on it like a 305 in back with 255 in front.

Good note on the clearance, I will take a peak, seems like there is part of the suspension that wraps the back portion of the tire that gets closer the lower you go, but could be completely wrong on that. Just remember the 295 Michelin not fitting, but that may just be an extraordinary fat tire or something lol. The rim manufacturer had said they had run numerous P100D with the Pirelli 295 in the rear....I personally would like even more meat on it like a 305 in back with 255 in front.

Yeah, for sure; maybe there's something that gets close. What I noticed is that the geometry of the strut changes with height and when the suspension is totally unloaded the strut ends up being closer to the inside edge of the wheel and tire.

Yeah, for sure; maybe there's something that gets close. What I noticed is that the geometry of the strut changes with height and when the suspension is totally unloaded the strut ends up being closer to the inside edge of the wheel and tire.

Yeah that's what I was kind of remembering, but to be honest never actually looked at what was really moving in there, so you may be correct. I know I got the adjustable rear camber and that's tweaked the ride height of the UP in the rear so lower links may be better any way. Also need to see how the camber adjustment worked to see where it made things further/closer. I do know on the UP brackets on really hard bumps on the highway my rims did hit the air strut tower and created a small dent on both my cars P85D and P100D.

• Informative
Reactions: GWord
Just looking for clarification on load ratings for 21" tires. These vehicles weigh just under 5k total. Just looking at the continental contact5p and they are rated for over 2000 lbs each. That's over 8k weight. These vehicles only do 250 km/hr so I doubt the speed rating matters. What am I missing
Screenshot_20180421-170904_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
20180419_145825.jpg
Also I am running 285/35/21 continentals. I doubt the continentals in anything bigger than a 285 in a 35 series will fit. Here's a photos of how close the 285s run. But they don't rub... they are extremely close though. Photo of wheel gap between tire and air suspension. Rear is 10.5" rim

Last edited:
View attachment 295757 Also I am running 285/35/21 continentals. I doubt the continentals in anything bigger than a 285 in a 35 series will fit. Here's a photos of how close the 285s run. But they don't rub... they are extremely close though. Photo of wheel gap between tire and air suspension. Rear is 10.5" rim

10.5” rim but what is the offset? As a last resort spacers can increase the gap.