Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Laser Parking Assist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We would like to install a laser parking assist device in our garage for help in aligning our MX in a kind of tight space. Normal use would be to aim the laser pointer at the hood of the car and steer to "walk" the pointer so that the car ends up in the optimum desired position.

However, there is no view of the hood from the MX driver's seat (or at least not for us, as we have the seat configured). Are there any other ways to use such a device can with a MX to aid in parking?

It might not help your situation, but I have found the parking sensors to be very accurate - I creep in until it reads exactly 20 inches and that places the car exactly where I want it. I also have one of those tennis ball thingys, but the sensors are better!

Exactly what I do. In my case it also detects a pole towards the front of the garage. I have to ignore the first 20" warning (usually only red warning on one side of the car) and keep going until the second warning. But it does seem accurate. We have a flat surface at the front of the garage, which probably helps.

Thanks for the many useful suggestions. However, our problem is not really the fore and aft - Tesla sensors really handle that just fine. It's really getting the car lined up port/starboard.

Once we're halfway in, the corner sensors give us a good idea as to where we are, left- and right-wise. But if we're not at the correct distance at that point, we more often than not have to back up and take another run at it. If we could have something that guides us in all the way, that would be a big help.

I would point the laser through your windshield, and look for it on your dash. You will get some refraction as it goes through the windshield (and maybe some ghosting too) but it's all relative, so it doesn't matter.

Lol, how is this different from what I said? :D

Wasn't ignoring you - just not clear in my mind how I could parlay the corner placement of the dot into knowing how to correct left/right positioning. Seems like you could see the first dot there, but be coming in at an angle and screw things up?

I'm thinking the best thing (for me) will be to get a two-laser rig, install it, and then just start dinking around with it until I get workable scheme in place.

Thanks for chiming in.

I would point the laser through your windshield, and look for it on your dash. You will get some refraction as it goes through the windshield (and maybe some ghosting too) but it's all relative, so it doesn't matter.

I do this as well. I have mine set so I stop just as the laser goes off the center "peak" of the dash (above the steering wheel). With this, I know if I am centered and when to stop.

• Informative
Reactions: JenkinsEar