Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last AD07s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought from Tire Rack. They have the front LTS AD07 in stock (as of last week), but none of the rear size. The rear size has LTS 2 available.
At the moment I have the new front LTS AD07 and the rear LTS 2 AD07 on my roadster. Seems the same as it always was.

Glad the front LTS are so much less expensive.

I just bought from Tire Rack. They have the front LTS AD07 in stock (as of last week), but none of the rear size. The rear size has LTS 2 available.
At the moment I have the new front LTS AD07 and the rear LTS 2 AD07 on my roadster. Seems the same as it always was.

Glad the front LTS are so much less expensive.
The fronts tend to last a while, but the rears wear out quickly. I'm running the newer AD08's on the rear, and they seem to last a little longer. I'm curious how the new LTS2's will wear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any performance difference between the AD07's and AD08's? I guess... what justifies the added cost?
What added cost? I'm my experience, the AD08's have been cheaper, or only marginally more expensive. Maybe the prices have shifted recently? There are some YouTube videos that seem to say the AD08's provide better performance on a track. I'm just hopeful that the newer compound will last longer.

I just got all my tires replaced last week. I got the AD07's for the front.
I got Michelin Pilot Sport for the rears last year from Discount Tire. Put 6,000 miles on the car and the Michelin are totally bald. Since the tire had a warranty on them I was able to get a $100 discount on a new set of tires so was able to get the rear tires for total of $60.
How many miles are you guys getting with the rear tires (either AD07 or AD08)?
FYI: I am not racing my car other than spirited acceleration on my daily drive.

How many miles are you guys getting with the rear tires (either AD07 or AD08)?
FYI: I am not racing my car other than spirited acceleration on my daily drive.

I was able to get 12,500 miles from my original rear AD07s, about 14k from my AD08/08R tires. Augie holds the record for milking the rear AD0X life, I think he achieved something like 25k+ miles. His Roadster is a daily highway commuter. My daily driving consisted of half of twisty mountainous roads, lots of hard regen and hard fast braking, and half highway. The key I found for my longevity of the rears was to not snap or do quick take-offs from red lights, stop signs, etc. That I would roll the car forward to about 10mph or so before punching it. I believe each time you hammer off the line the tires are negotiating with TC & the pavement, and that's where most of the wear is coming from.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rolf68 and Vip
The key I found for my longevity of the rears was to not snap or do quick take-offs from red lights, stop signs, etc. That I would roll the car forward to about 10mph or so before punching it. I believe each time you hammer off the line the tires are negotiating with TC & the pavement, and that's where most of the wear is coming from.
Since you told us this once in a prior post I've been testing this theory and I think you're right. I got 7 or 8k on Mich Pilot Super Sports and then got a second pair for about half price under warranty. They're guarantied for 15k. Right now i'm at the end of a pair of AD08r and they didn't last as long as the Pilot Super Sports. The AD07s will wear out the quickest.

I got Michelin Pilot Sport for the rears last year from Discount Tire. Put 6,000 miles on the car and the Michelin are totally bald. Since the tire had a warranty on them I was able to get a $100 discount on a new set of tires so was able to get the rear tires for total of $60.
It sounds to me like using the Michelin PSS tires on the rear is the way to go because even though they wear out fast you can get another pair for almost nothing.

Henry, am I reading your post correctly? You are saying that the PSS lasted 7-8K, the AD08 lasted less, and the AD07 lasted even less.

I've only owned my Roadster since Oct. 2014. My only experience so far has been that I had to replace the rear AD07 after 11K. I am not using the @wiztecy method of a slow rolling start below 10mph to preserve the rears, which makes a lot of sense to me. I just don't do rapid starts very often. But I want to...

I've got the Michelin PSS tires on my Roadster 2.0. They were already on the car when I bought it (unknown how long), and I've added about 12k miles since then. Still have good tread...

Am I not driving the car hard enough? :)

It sounds to me like using the Michelin PSS tires on the rear is the way to go because even though they wear out fast you can get another pair for almost nothing.

Henry, am I reading your post correctly? You are saying that the PSS lasted 7-8K, the AD08 lasted less, and the AD07 lasted even less.

I've only owned my Roadster since Oct. 2014. My only experience so far has been that I had to replace the rear AD07 after 11K. I am not using the @wiztecy method of a slow rolling start below 10mph to preserve the rears, which makes a lot of sense to me. I just don't do rapid starts very often. But I want to...

You read my post correctly - most miles from Mich PSS, then AD08r, the worst were AD07. I don't think very many people get 11k miles out of the AD07s. Some would say that "you're not driving the car the way it's supposed to be" but I have no opinion on that. At the rate you're driving I don't think you'd ever have a PSS warranty claim.

If you have a 1.5 you should read through the 1.5 tire thread before you buy the PSS. I wouldn't get them unless you have a 2.x. The ratio of RPM between front and back tires causes problems with the 1.5 traction control. The 2.x cars have a tire learning feature to overcome this.

I don't think very many people get 11k miles out of the AD07s. Some would say that "you're not driving the car the way it's supposed to be" but I have no opinion on that. At the rate you're driving I don't think you'd ever have a PSS warranty claim.
If you have a 1.5 you should read through the 1.5 tire thread before you buy the PSS
Thanks Henry, understood that us 1.5 owners can't realistically use anything except the Yokos. Still hoping that Tesla is going to announce a new lower rolling resistance tire that all Roadster owners can use, but who knows.

As to my Roadster driving technique..okay, I give in, I will do more hot launches but use @wiztecy 's "rolling start" method. :rolleyes:

The rolling start is also safer, there's a thread here sometime back of a Roadster owner who just punched it off the light..... people around you just don't comprehend how fast these cars accelerate, well, some person pulled out of the intersection as the Roadster was ramping up speed, the Roadster owner had to swerve to avoid a crash and in doing so lost the back end slamming a curb and doing some damage to the wheels and underside of the Roadster. I've grown up on the crotch-rocket Japanese race bikes and its the same thing there, so with that, I've always not trusted others, rolled out slow then hammer it once I see its safe.

Ugh. Minor Accident.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mark77a and Rolf68
Thanks Henry, understood that us 1.5 owners can't realistically use anything except the Yokos. Still hoping that Tesla is going to announce a new lower rolling resistance tire that all Roadster owners can use, but who knows.

As to my Roadster driving technique..okay, I give in, I will do more hot launches but use @wiztecy 's "rolling start" method. :rolleyes:
When I bought my 1.5, it had a set of Kumho's on the rear. You can probably find a tire that matches the "rotations per mile" spec and put them on the back without any issue. But I don't think they work very well for the way I drive the car.