Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last call for a custom RWD Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Carl

Supporting Member
Jan 12, 2013
Belgium
According to this article from Electrek, no more custom orders for RWD's as from next week!

So if you wanted an RWD with the latest bells & whistles, a 4.3s acceleration (and with a bit of luck even an 85 kWh battery) at the latest possible production date, looks like you'll have to decide before Sunday!

Exactly. S75 does 4.6 secs 0-100km/h (the "Classic" P85 did 4.5 secs).

I for one liked the handling of my "Classic" more than that of my current 85D (less motor whine, no vibrations in steering wheel from front motor, overall more fun with accelerations, ...), and am sorry to see RWD go. I'd buy one tomorrow if it came with a 85 kWh battery.

Reactions: DIL and arcus
In Europe, there were people who ordered a 75 and ended up with a (probably software-limited) 85, over the last weeks. In terms of range @100%, that doesn't make any significant difference but what does make a difference is charging speed at Superchargers between 75kWh/350V and 85kWh/400V.

Put simply, what would be a 10 hours trip in a 'real' S75 would be a 9.5 hour trip in an S85 or a software-limited S75, as a result of better charging speeds. To compare: it would be a 9 hours trip with a S100 (according to A Better Routeplanner) but that battery, in Europe, costs 28,000 EUR more.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DIL
In Europe, there were people who ordered a 75 and ended up with a (probably software-limited) 85, over the last weeks. In terms of range @100%, that doesn't make any significant difference but what does make a difference is charging speed at Superchargers between 75kWh/350V and 85kWh/400V.

Put simply, what would be a 10 hours trip in a 'real' S75 would be a 9.5 hour trip in an S85 or a software-limited S75, as a result of better charging speeds. To compare: it would be a 9 hours trip with a S100 (according to A Better Routeplanner) but that battery, in Europe, costs 28,000 EUR more.

i think it was limited to like 6 people in one country, probably a fluke since there has been no other reports anywhere else nor any acknowledgement from Tesla.

This might be it for me. I just test drove RWD 75 and it’s prett sweet. Nimble and plenty fast. Might hold resale better as an extinct species. Back to the configurator, Batman!
Hop I’m not to late but several people in Europe that have order Model S 75D and are waiting for delivery have get a price drop of nearly $5k. For they how really want RWD it’s time to order but it’s a risk that your car have loss a few thousand even before delivery if you order one now.

CNBC put up some great click bait today. Had this video and some similar verbiage on their chyrons. Classy move.

upload_2017-9-21_22-47-28.png

According to this article from Electrek, no more custom orders for RWD's as from next week!

So if you wanted an RWD with the latest bells & whistles, a 4.3s acceleration (and with a bit of luck even an 85 kWh battery) at the latest possible production date, looks like you'll have to decide before Sunday!
I'm picking up my Midnight silver RWD MS75 with enhanced AP this Monday September 25th, didn't see the need for AWD as I was taught well how to drive in snow and, the fact that it's lighter, it's a less complex car not to mention $5k cheaper is a no brainer. I can apply the savings toward a future MS.