Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last few miles per hour do not regen so well

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know if anything has changed but I am recently aware that the car (X) does not stop from low speed as well as it did. I did a test today and if you let the car full slow down under regen (with it set to max) it gets very close to stopped then the last little bit seems to relax the braking effect and almost coast a little (not fully, it still stops, just not as consistently as the rest of the 'braking'). I like to brake as little as possible so anticipate junctions etc and let the regen do the work, every now and again something stops unexpectedly and it highlights this little nuance.
It is also bad for slow speed manoeuvring in car parks when you move a little bit forward and it rolls more than expected.
Now, I think this is new, or changed - I've only done 4k in it but I'm pretty sure it stopped more consistently when I first started driving it.
So, all you more experienced MX owners - is this a change, normal, or is mine broken?

Don't know if anything has changed but I am recently aware that the car (X) does not stop from low speed as well as it did. I did a test today and if you let the car full slow down under regen (with it set to max) it gets very close to stopped then the last little bit seems to relax the braking effect and almost coast a little (not fully, it still stops, just not as consistently as the rest of the 'braking'). I like to brake as little as possible so anticipate junctions etc and let the regen do the work, every now and again something stops unexpectedly and it highlights this little nuance.
It is also bad for slow speed manoeuvring in car parks when you move a little bit forward and it rolls more than expected.
Now, I think this is new, or changed - I've only done 4k in it but I'm pretty sure it stopped more consistently when I first started driving it.
So, all you more experienced MX owners - is this a change, normal, or is mine broken?
What level was your battery at when this happened. I don't remember the exact % but when the battery gets low the there is no regen. I believe that the temperature of the battery is also a contributing factor.

What level was your battery at when this happened. I don't remember the exact % but when the battery gets low the there is no regen. I believe that the temperature of the battery is also a contributing factor.
50% plus on the battery (it's never been below 20%), temperature was fine (I'm aware that low battery temp restricts regen, the dash has yellow warning lines when that is the case). This is every day use, after journeys, charged battery etc so I think it is a decision the programming is making a something wrong with the system on my car...

That's common, low regen while at a few mph. Also, with a full (not empty) battery State of Charge (SOC), regen is low.

You can go totally pedal free by using your AP Cruise control, tap the speed down to 15,10,5,0 right up to and at the stop sign. Then tap back up after.

That's common, low regen while at a few mph. Also, with a full (not empty) battery State of Charge (SOC), regen is low.

You can go totally pedal free by using your AP Cruise control, tap the speed down to 15,10,5,0 right up to and at the stop sign. Then tap back up after.

Yes I used to use the cruise control all the time in my previous car for that but I have found the Model X system to be a little skittish and it often braked for hazards AFTER I had past them, I have pretty much given up using it which is a shame as it was one of the things I was expecting to be particularly good about the car.

The main time I am noticing it is slow manoeuvring in car parks, it was very predictable when I first got it and stopped the car proportionally to the speed it was going - now it seems like they have programmed in a gentler stop, probably to make it feel less jerky. That is a good idea when slowing from higher speeds, but when you want to move forward a few inches to park a bit closer to the car in front it is not so good for it to keep going that little bit more.

Yes I used to use the cruise control all the time in my previous car for that but I have found the Model X system to be a little skittish and it often braked for hazards AFTER I had past them, I have pretty much given up using it which is a shame as it was one of the things I was expecting to be particularly good about the car.

The main time I am noticing it is slow manoeuvring in car parks, it was very predictable when I first got it and stopped the car proportionally to the speed it was going - now it seems like they have programmed in a gentler stop, probably to make it feel less jerky. That is a good idea when slowing from higher speeds, but when you want to move forward a few inches to park a bit closer to the car in front it is not so good for it to keep going that little bit more.
Not for parking lots, residential street stop lights & signs I mean.