Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last few updates, strange MCU/car behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 March built P100D. I am currently on 12.1.2. Through the last few updates (not just the last one) car exhibits weird behavior:

1. Prolonged “system is booting up” times. Twenty, 30 seconds, sometimes longer.
2. Occasional both screens back while attempting to start driving (once lasted over 2 minutes; all systems were off during that time).
3. Charge port not opening from direct press or key fob on and off.
4. Main screen rebooting while driving.
5. Lane departure limited warning on and off.
6. Intermittently no internet after reboot.
7. No back up camera (white screen instead of camera).

Probably a few more thing I forget. I used need to soft reboot the car maybe once per month. Not it’s either daily or every few days.

What’s going on? Is this my MCU or crappy updates? Should I take it in?

Reactions: Nrazar
...Should I take it in?

Since these symptoms are fixed (until the next time) at each reboot, it's probably software update quality as it tries to fix or improve something but in doing so it might introduce some bugs as well. If so, taking the car in won't help until the next update which might repeat the same procedure again: Fixing old bugs by introducing new bugs.

Prolonged booting up time might be related to deep sleep. You might want to check energy saving settings and turn them off to see if it might make any difference.i

Since these symptoms are fixed (until the next time) at each reboot, it's probably software update quality as it tries to fix or improve something but in doing so it might introduce some bugs as well. If so, taking the car in won't help until the next update which might repeat the same procedure again: Fixing old bugs by introducing new bugs.

Prolonged booting up time might be related to deep sleep. You might want to check energy saving settings and turn them off to see if it might make any difference.i

Energy settings are off.

(3) is pretty much a known issue that a future update will fix, I've seen plenty of reports of it and experience the same thing. It may open for you while a door is open, and you can press on the front end of it to release it while you're standing at it if the charger button isn't working.
(4) has been reported, but far less frequently. I haven't seen it, but I suppose it could be MCU specific, except I thought the MCU2 vehicles didn't have energy settings and you imply that you do just above.

The remaining issues seem to me like they'd justify some level of service intervention. You might get some timestamps saved up and ask them to review logs before you come in so that they can troubleshoot remotely in cases where that's relevant, especially in the cases of (1), (5), and (6), which all sound likely to be intermittent and may not be "reproducible."

Reactions: rjdoc74
Can I add a fun new bug in 12.1.2?

1DC80F5C-88DF-4357-B301-6EF76CA587C7.jpeg

Yes, I typed in 1000 Broadway, New York. The navigation address entry types in backwards!

Anyone else having this issue? I searched the threads but couldn't find anything, though I wasn't quite sure what to search for...

I'm on 12.1.2 5c87371.

I was having odd software problems with my MX, July 2018, with software 2019.12.1.2. Would not charge from level 2 chargers even with an adaptor, car screens "locking up" and requiring a hard scroll wheel reset, MCU or dash displays shutting down randomly and rebooting, and running the dog mode more than 30 minutes locked the MCU. Even the model X Christmas show stopped playing! Ye Gods!

I took it in to the SC today and they needed to know the exact time and date of these events. ( was not aware that for troubleshooting, they need this data for troubleshooting. They are very matter-of-fact about this. I did not know this before!

Fortunately I had snapped screenshots of the events that were timestamped, so I could give the exact time and date that they happened, mostly. The service techs uploaded this info, look at the logs and they could determine that there were additional firmware updates that fixed some of these reported bugs for my car. The firmware updates are not listed in the car or on the Tesla app. They pushed them to the car right there. I was able to drive it home, install the software in the driveway, and now I will take the car out and do destruct testing again.

There is still a lot I don't know about managing this car.

My X #88000 has been having glitches. Speed limit icon on driver display and radio on center display glitch off and back on and my screen has rebooted several times this past month. Seems to be momentary computer freeze. Supercharging starts off jumping to 110kw over 300 mph then drops off to 10kw soon after and or stops charging 2019.8 and now 2019.12

So I had experienced camera/sensors disabled technical difficulties just two days ago...I'm currently on firmware 12.1.2. I went to go for a drive and there were a total of 4 of us in my less-than-two-week-old Model 3, and the computer rebooted itself, so we had to wait for that to finish...around 20-30 seconds. Once I started driving, the lane sensors were not functioning and the rear camera was disabled, and I had no speed indicators nor warnings for surrounding traffic/lane departures/abrupt braking... I only had a black screen showing when I tried to enable the rear view camera. This continued for a handful of hours that day with intermittent use of the vehicle. It finally resolved itself in the evening when I went to drive home after the days' events. Glitch? I'm thinking so...

Model X update:

In doing testing to failure today, discovered one item about dog mode. When you get inside the car, you can salvage the dog mode lockup problem by LEAVING THE DOORS OPEN and toggling dog mode off... then then car will remain responsive and you can drive off. If you close the doors, the dog mode locks on and you are stuck with an unresponsive car and will have to do a scroll wheel reset!

I am testing other features to failure. There is so much I don't know about this car.

(I think my girlfriend hates the car, but likes the dog mode!)

My main screen now reboots daily while driving and I loose back up camera daily. At least 2 soft resets per day. Drives me nuts. I made an appointment for service. Will probably be told “within speck”.

Me too. I had an update fail, and it's been doing what you describe ever since. I have an appointment in June (because it's impossible to get one any sooner!)

Me too. I had an update fail, and it's been doing what you describe ever since. I have an appointment in June (because it's impossible to get one any sooner!)

Try a reboot with car parked. Hold wheel knobs and brake down for 5 seconds and then release.

Whenever I have had weirdness on the UI this has fixed the issues. I do it after every software update.

I have a 2018 March built P100D. I am currently on 12.1.2. Through the last few updates (not just the last one) car exhibits weird behavior:

1. Prolonged “system is booting up” times. Twenty, 30 seconds, sometimes longer.
2. Occasional both screens back while attempting to start driving (once lasted over 2 minutes; all systems were off during that time).
3. Charge port not opening from direct press or key fob on and off.
4. Main screen rebooting while driving.
5. Lane departure limited warning on and off.
6. Intermittently no internet after reboot.
7. No back up camera (white screen instead of camera).

Probably a few more thing I forget. I used need to soft reboot the car maybe once per month. Not it’s either daily or every few days.

What’s going on? Is this my MCU or crappy updates? Should I take it in?
Me too. This is a problem with energy savings mode. Turn that off, and it all goes away. Sad, hope they fix. I don’t want to waste a few kWH daily but no choice until they fix.

If you have energy savings off, do a hard MCU reboot ( hold wheels until T appears, ~30 sec) and also IC reboot (hold upper buttons till IC goes black.).

Me too. This is a problem with energy savings mode. Turn that off, and it all goes away. Sad, hope they fix. I don’t want to waste a few kWH daily but no choice until they fix.

If you have energy savings off, do a hard MCU reboot ( hold wheels until T appears, ~30 sec) and also IC reboot (hold upper buttons till IC goes black.).

Thank you tomas. Did a 30 seconds reset twice and tried holding upper buttons for a long time (but nothing happened). All was good yesterday, but this morning still no back up camera (black square instead). Had to do a steering wheel button recent.

Thank you tomas. Did a 30 seconds reset twice and tried holding upper buttons for a long time (but nothing happened). All was good yesterday, but this morning still no back up camera (black square instead). Had to do a steering wheel button recent.
Ok I’m learning new things. Old cars required reset to both MCU and IC, thus upper buttons. Newer cars that is accomplished just by resetting MCU. The important thing is to do a hard reset, ie hold in knobs until T appears. Soft reset fixes fewer things.