Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Last minute speculation: How to swap the battery without moving the battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks!

I know the demonstration will be carried out in a few hours, however I have figured out a way to swap the battery without moving the battery across the car, but moving the car across the battery.

The idea is inspired in the variable gauge trains that are running through Spain. In the facilities where the axles actually modify their gauge the bogies run over a slipping surface while the axles get unloaded and then their wheels are displaced by passive rails.

If we try to apply this to the Model S, the battery swapping station would be like a washing tunnel, where the car enters and keeps moving while the battery is dropped in a certain place and the new battery, that lays on the ground a few meters further, is inserted as the car advances.

Remember that the battery weights almost 1,000 lbs, so removing it from the car will make it rise up suddenly, due to the same springs dealing with noticeable less weight.

Maybe it's a crazy idea or maybe not... But I wanted to share it with you before we know the system developed by TM :)

Here is a video of the gauge exchanger devices found in the Spanish Railways:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you can better see what I mean:

If you watch the video carefully, you can see the blue locking devices that are pulled out by the red I-shaped bars. Those bars are no more than a rail with different height all the way though the gauge exchanger, so they are completely passive and moves the locking devices thanks to the forward movement of the bogie.

In this video you can see how is their profile: They get down and up (the red bars):

If we see the bottom of the Model S battery pack, it has rails that look as designed for this purpose. They match the Talgo RD design:

WSg8REf.jpg

T7z8NeF.jpg

The advantage of this system is the reliability: As the battery is physically guided and then forced to get down and up, it cannot be misguided, fall or remain stuck.

I repeat that this is just product of my imagination, but would be suitable for the Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

My guess would be that no matter if the car is being moved or it is stationary, it's certainly going to be locked into place on some lift device either way.

I do not agree with you: If we look to the pic tweeted by Elon, we can see a platform of just 8 or 10 inches tall and about 40 feet long where the Model S rolls over to swap its battery. It fits with my theory:

XGpeysJ.jpg

The battery to be dropped is stored at the beginning of the platform while the battery to be inserted remains in the final part of the ramp. The car rolls over that, drops one battery and gets the other, all in a 40 feet run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would just like to point out I had a similar theory earlier today regarding the car dropping one battery, driving to another, and picking it up, and I was handed a crack pipe :)

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ll-be-accomplished/page41?p=367298#post367298

Yeah, I read your post this morning and aha! the traction during swapping may be an issue. But as my proposal only requires the car to move forward for 40 feet, that push can be provided:

a) By the inertia of the car moving before entering (I don't think so)
b) By the 12 V battery (definetly not enough to feed the power electronics)
c) By a sort of capacitor designed for this purpose (seems feasible)
d) Another way (electrified rails feeding the PE, etc.)

e) A lever pushing the car as in the washing tunnels

- - - Updated - - -

Mod Note: we have so many threads speculating on this subject, we would like to keep the post-announcement discussion in one place. For all discussion/comment on the actual announcement please go to the following link...

Charging Standards and Infrastructure/-Tesla-battery-swap-Post-announcement-discussion

Thanks!

Yes, that is true... But I though this idea might be worth of a different thread.

Anyway if you mods consider it adequate, feel free to close this thread and merge it with the main one.

I would just like to point out I had a similar theory earlier today regarding the car dropping one battery, driving to another, and picking it up, and I was handed a crack pipe :)

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...ll-be-accomplished/page41?p=367298#post367298
I think the way most people read your comment is that there is some hardware on the car "actively" involved in the swapping (most likely some kind of robotics). This proposal has the hardware on the car still passive and like Bipo point out only some kind of push needs to be provided.