Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Late 2015) - any developments on the electric BOAT front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the skills to build a battery powered boat... yet filmed with a potato :(
I love it, I just want more detail, more photos, more HD video!

What would I need to replace the OMC 460 engine + 72 gallon fuel tank on my 24' Chris Craft?

It's about 5,400 lbs dry and cruises at 30/35. Top is 55.4

My engine is super stupid rare, and parts... pretty much no longer exist, but I LOVE my boat. and I could drop in a modern engine, but electric would be so cool...

Last edited:
Dear god, it would be cheaper to buy another boat! Like the Formula 292 with twin 6.2L that I'm looking at already... And I'd still have $15,127 left over for gas...

Same reason I never got to build that EV wrangler for off road use... the $ just doesn't work :(

Revisiting this thread (of mine!) as I spent almost a week poring over that Boston Whaler I mentioned back in post #1....

The Torqeedos currently available still are painfully small, slow and spendy...although there now is a Juneau-based whale-watch operator who has two catamarans powered by them; there’s an Austrian outboard & inboard alternative: Aquawatt (www.aquawatt.at) that provides outboards up to what they claim is an 80hp equivalent, which would fit the bill...except the bill is, understandably, still up there (about $20K w/o shipping) and I think the battery kWh remains quite range-limiting (any buoyed SpCs out there?:D).

I might try to sniff around this winter along the PNW (Puget Sound, effectively) to learn who is doing what in this field.

Anyway, resurrecting this thread to see if stirring the pot brings up any other tasty morsels.

World’s first electric boat race series takes to the seas in Monaco | Living

upload_2020-9-26_9-20-5.png

Reactions: TEG