Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
JAN 2017 S75D-nee-S60D high-mileage owner here.

Curious to see if other members with a S (or X) built in this time frame experienced any issues with the DRLs. By DLRs, I mean the "halo" which borders the LED headlight enclosure.

Earlier this year the passenger side DLR partially failed where a portion of the DLR was not illuminated. I suspect one underlying lights (LEDs?) in the DLR strip went out, but never directly asked that question. I observed no other defect in the DLR or headlights at the time. I filed a service request under warranty. A ranger was dispatched by Tesla Service, diagnosed the issue, requested the replacement part - an entirely new headlight assembly - and then returned to swap it out when the part came in.

Shrugged it off to Tesla being Tesla and did not think anything more of it until the driver's side DLR did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Like before, a portion of the DLR halo had gone dim but the headlight itself appeared to be functioning normally. Dropped it off at the SC they replaced the entire driver's side headlight assembly.

I can understand parts breaking but am suspicious the exact same failure occurred twice. This suspicion leads me to question if the supplier Tesla used to provide illumination to the DLRs had a defect in the manufacturing process - hence the thread. Curious to see if any other members with similar late 2016 / early 2017 build S's (or X's) experienced similar issues.

FWIW I've got ~49k on the car and the two part numbers that were replaced were:
  • Drivers Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Passenger Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, LH (1053570- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Bonus fact: Service said the part cost ~$1.2k + labor (asked as I'm rapidly approaching the 50k mark and debating whether or not I want to extend the warranty).
HALO.png

Lost driver's side in February around 28k miles. It started to fail about 10 months after delivery but it wasn't a rush for me. They ended up not fitting the replacement headlight and had to rework it in a second time which now looks flawless. I suspect the second DRL is also beginning to fail. I'll get a second full replacement before 50k.

2016 June S90D refreshed. Both sides have had to be replaced because of the same issue. First the drivers side, then the passengers. Can't remember the mileage but I have 43k now and it seems like the first wall about 8 months ago, then the other was 3 or 4 months later. It's weird cause both times they asked if I had recently had my windshield replaced. And I hadn't.

I’ve had both headlights replaced due to this issue on my late 2016 (Jan 2017 delivery) Model S. Driver side went out around 30k miles and passenger side went out around 40k miles. Car is now at 48k miles and I hope I don’t have to pay for any headlight replacements out of warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: DaddyP713
May 2016 here and over 80k miles. Mine have failed twice. Tesla replaced the first time under warranty but want around $1k to replace one of them outside of warranty. Just decided to keep range mode on all the time so I don't really have to notice it. Doesn't really affect anything anyway.

Reactions: TSLC
Dec 2016 Model S, Driver side DRL was out at 21k miles last months, the passenger side is alright at this point. they sent out a ranger to come replace the whole headlight unit. he told me he has seen many late 2016 cars having the same issue. so i guess it was a bad batch?