TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by houstonian, Jul 7, 2018.

1. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

JAN 2017 S75D-nee-S60D high-mileage owner here.

Curious to see if other members with a S (or X) built in this time frame experienced any issues with the DRLs. By DLRs, I mean the "halo" which borders the LED headlight enclosure.

Earlier this year the passenger side DLR partially failed where a portion of the DLR was not illuminated. I suspect one underlying lights (LEDs?) in the DLR strip went out, but never directly asked that question. I observed no other defect in the DLR or headlights at the time. I filed a service request under warranty. A ranger was dispatched by Tesla Service, diagnosed the issue, requested the replacement part - an entirely new headlight assembly - and then returned to swap it out when the part came in.

Shrugged it off to Tesla being Tesla and did not think anything more of it until the driver's side DLR did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. Like before, a portion of the DLR halo had gone dim but the headlight itself appeared to be functioning normally. Dropped it off at the SC they replaced the entire driver's side headlight assembly.

I can understand parts breaking but am suspicious the exact same failure occurred twice. This suspicion leads me to question if the supplier Tesla used to provide illumination to the DLRs had a defect in the manufacturing process - hence the thread. Curious to see if any other members with similar late 2016 / early 2017 build S's (or X's) experienced similar issues.

FWIW I've got ~49k on the car and the two part numbers that were replaced were:
    • Drivers Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
    • Passenger Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, LH (1053570- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
    • Bonus fact: Service said the part cost ~$1.2k + labor (asked as I'm rapidly approaching the 50k mark and debating whether or not I want to extend the warranty).
    HALO.png

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. PhatCat

PhatCat Kisco Kid

I have a 2016 S75D and just last week i noticed that a portion of the passenger side DRL is not working.

• Disagree x 1
  3. DaddyP713

DaddyP713 Member

My June 2017 delivery Model X had the passenger side DRL fail about 1 month ago (after about 36k miles), whole headlight unit replaced.

Service adviser said that they are seeing a lot of them fail, mostly on Model S.

4. croman

croman Active Member

Lost driver's side in February around 28k miles. It started to fail about 10 months after delivery but it wasn't a rush for me. They ended up not fitting the replacement headlight and had to rework it in a second time which now looks flawless. I suspect the second DRL is also beginning to fail. I'll get a second full replacement before 50k.

5. RYCO

RYCO Member

2016 June S90D refreshed. Both sides have had to be replaced because of the same issue. First the drivers side, then the passengers. Can't remember the mileage but I have 43k now and it seems like the first wall about 8 months ago, then the other was 3 or 4 months later. It's weird cause both times they asked if I had recently had my windshield replaced. And I hadn't.

6. sumitkgarg

sumitkgarg Member

One of my headlights was replaced because of this issue. The other headlight now has the same issue as well. Does not bother me much though - I will get it replaced when getting closer to 50k miles.

7. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

I’ve had both headlights replaced due to this issue on my late 2016 (Jan 2017 delivery) Model S. Driver side went out around 30k miles and passenger side went out around 40k miles. Car is now at 48k miles and I hope I don’t have to pay for any headlight replacements out of warranty.

• Informative x 1
  8. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Dec ‘16 MS, drivers side replaced less than 6 months in. No additional failures but I’m out of warranty now so I’d almost certainly just live with it at the replacement costs discussed above.

9. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Yep had my driver side one fail suddenly on my summer ‘16 build car. Had maybe 20K on it? Warranty replacement.

FYI I think the headlight surround is a CFL not LED.

10. Zeromus-X

Zeromus-X Member

To provide a counter point, I've got a July 2016 (refresh) with 55k and haven't had any issues that I'm aware of. Though, granted, I don't check them very often. Now that I'm out of warranty I guess I should never check them again.

• Funny x 2
  11. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

They’re definitely LED.

12. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

May 2016 here and over 80k miles. Mine have failed twice. Tesla replaced the first time under warranty but want around $1k to replace one of them outside of warranty. Just decided to keep range mode on all the time so I don't really have to notice it. Doesn't really affect anything anyway.

13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Does Range mode turn off the DRL?

14. croman

croman Active Member

Yes. Only way in US to do that.

15. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952
    June 2016 MS refresh. Now with 85K miles. Have had both replaced due to the same issue. Don' t remember time/milage.

16. xiaoxiao

xiaoxiao New Member

I didn't have any problems with the led headlights I bought on novsight last year. I would recommend that you use LED.

17. houstonian

houstonian ಠ_ಠ

Just to be clear when you say "led headlights" are you referring to the actual headlight function or the day-time-running-light-halo which borders the LED headlights?

FWIW I've had no issues with the actual headlight functionality, just the DLRs.

18. kg7jo-

kg7jo- Member

Dec 2016 Model S, Driver side DRL was out at 21k miles last months, the passenger side is alright at this point. they sent out a ranger to come replace the whole headlight unit. he told me he has seen many late 2016 cars having the same issue. so i guess it was a bad batch?

19. xiaoxiao

xiaoxiao New Member

Well, I'm talking about the actual function of the novsight headlights

20. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

I don't want to read this. Every problem covered in its own thread appears on my vehicle within a few days after reading...

• Funny x 4