TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by houstonian, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Ciaopec

Ciaopec Reservations at Restaurant at Universe end

Close to where SpaceXploration begins: 32952

I think the thread is actually discussing only the LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and NOT the actual headlight function. Perhaps that helps:)

2. Jokershere

Jokershere Member

November 2016 Model S with approximately 36K miles. Driver's side DRL just went out (just the top horizontal section) and have appointment with service to have it replaced. Was advised that entire unit will have to be replaced. So this means that l also have to replace the xpel wrap on the headlight. May be I should wait until the drivers side DRL goes bad?

3. madtorque

madtorque Member

Oct. 2017 build.. Emailed mobile service, haven't gotten an answer yet.

Attached Files:

4. _jal_

_jal_ Member

Same problem on my November 2016 S. I’ve been waiting to address it w service. Looks exactly like @madtorque ’s picture

5. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

2017, Jan and Feb, two Model S's in our garage.

No problems, but then I wasn't checking! Will check when I get home.

YES, get Tesla's extended warranty
    (nee "Service Plan") before your window of availability expires as it is likely to pay for itself many times over!

If not, then it's a cheap form of peace-of-mind/mechanical insurance!

6. ghouston87

ghouston87 Member

I took delivery of my MS in April 2017. I’m on my third replacement and starting to worry about future replacements as I am only a few weeks away from hitting 50k miles and don’t want to pay out of pocket when I have to get my fourth one replaced if or when it fails.

7. wanche

wanche Member

Same problem just happen to me recently, Both DRL not complete solid white.Dec 2017 delivery, currently at 21000km.

Visited service today, indeed, both DRL need to be replaced, waiting for parts to arrive...

8. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

I imagine this would be a great little cottage industry opportunity for someone once more cars roll off warranty and owners aren't inclined to pay $1,000+ for a complete headlight assembly to fix one or two burned out LEDs.

9. jjanov79

jjanov79 Member

Took delivery in July 2017. The passenger side had to be replaced within 3 months and the drivers side failed last week with 31k miles. Waiting on the part to come in.

10. appleguru

appleguru Member

Nov 2016 build S75D picked up March 2017. ~21k miles currently. So far no issues with my DRLs. Will keep an eye on them.

11. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

Mine just failed on the passenger side. August 2016 Model S @ 51k miles. I assume there's not recall for this. :(

12. buzescu

buzescu Member

I wonder if there is any way to make Tesla recall these? Way too many and too fast means bad engineering - should not be customer concern.

13. Blue Dragon

Blue Dragon Member

My S is at the service center for its third visit in the last year - March 2017 delivery. Getting a new front drive unit. Last time was something electrical having to do with the rear drive unit, time before that was something else electrical - I think the 2nd visit was actually due to the initial problem not being addressed (since I only had the car a week before it had to go back). And "going back" means over 400 miles each way on a truck since I'm in New Mexico.
    Anyway, I was just looking at my invoice and see that they replaced one of the headlight assembly units - due to the "customer" noting that not all lights were working. I never noticed. Yeah, so add me to the list.
    I've been without my car for two weeks and am now calling the service center every day to inquire when my car is going to get put on a damn truck. There aren't many Teslas in New Mexico, and everyone who knows me knows that my car is usually in the shop. Sorry am hijacking this thread, but I miss my on-again, off again car.

14. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Recalls are for safety issues, not cosmetics. You’d have a hard time convincing NHTSA that a burned out LED in a DRL is a safety issue, particularly in the US where DRLs are not mandated by law.

15. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Interesting to note that all of the reported DRL failures seem to be associated with the new LED headlights.
    Did the DRL technology change ... the original style HID headlights with DRL seem to be bulletproof with no reported failures.

• Like x 1
  16. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

S w/ 30k miles. drivers is half out. Dec 2016 delivery

17. SteelSully

SteelSully Supporting Member

#37 SteelSully, Sep 3, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Add me to the list... Had right MS (June 2016 delivery) headlight replaced around 30k for the DRL “brown out” issue. Just took our MS on a road trip and went over 50k a week ago and just noticed my left DRL is now half out too. :(

At least I’m happy to see that range mode turns them off - not sure if I’m going to pay $1000 to fix this...

18. 303JeffB

303JeffB Member

Nov 2106 build S75D with no problems...

19. Dilbagh

Dilbagh Member

Same issue. May 2016 S75 (refresh). Passenger side DRL top part is out. Mobile ranger requested the part 1 month back. Still waiting for replacement. I kinda liked the pre-refresh DRL that had the smooth clean look compared to the new one.

20. rpo

rpo Member

April 2016 P90DL. Both headlights were replaced a month ago for this same issue.