Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, guess I'll set up an appointment with tesla.
Awesome, in the week since i posted, the DRL in my driver-side light has basically completely died.
I really hope there's a longer-term fix for this, i don't want to be on the hook for replacing these yearly once the warranty runs out.

20200801_214257.jpg

Awesome, in the week since i posted, the DRL in my driver-side light has basically completely died.
I really hope there's a longer-term fix for this, i don't want to be on the hook for replacing these yearly once the warranty runs out.

View attachment 571550

Looks like mine, and I'm out of warranty. Not going to replace it, rather wait for the other one to burn out as well and thus have it looking the same again :D

Never had a problem with the lights on my 16 facelift car. My current Raven’s lights are both fading from the inside out. Probably will just let them go. As far as brightness of the headlights, both my cars had the lights set too low. Adjusting them up made a big difference. I don’t know why they do that.

I'm kinda curious if tesla will be forced to keep fixing these for free after warranty since failing lights are a safety hazard, so they can't get away with the same bs as the yellowing screens.
FWIW my wife has a 2011 audi and it's LED DRLs are still like new.

Reactions: cucubits
May 2016 here and over 80k miles. Mine have failed twice. Tesla replaced the first time under warranty but want around $1k to replace one of them outside of warranty. Just decided to keep range mode on all the time so I don't really have to notice it. Doesn't really affect anything anyway.
Offer Up has used ones for sale. That's an option but I guess those can also fail..

Does this headlight issue affect all facelift cars or just a few?

@FlatSix911 - As best I can tell this issue impacts all facelift Model S vehicles. I am not quite as certain relative to Model X. It's a similar design, and I also see a decent number of MX posts, but honestly don't pay attention to those as much as MS.

I have a pretty early facelift myself, June 2016 build MS90D. Both mine replaced after about 2 years, 30k miles and then the passenger side replaced a second time in Sept 2019 right before my warranty expired due to mileage. Given the number posts I see on newer cars, it does not appear there has been a design change to fully resolve the issue. Some speculate heat is an issue, but I live in central midwest, car garaged. Yeah I do see winter/summer variation, but nothing like Pheonix or Florida consistent summer heat or North Dakota type cold.

Unless you regularly are in a situation where you see your car with the headlights on, many might have the issue and not even realize. I was likely that way when my first headlight started going out. I only realize it when I went to get something from my car one night and didn't turn on the garage light.

@FlatSix911 - As best I can tell this issue impacts all facelift Model S vehicles. I am not quite as certain relative to Model X. It's a similar design, and I also see a decent number of MX posts, but honestly don't pay attention to those as much as MS.
I have a pretty early facelift myself, June 2016 build MS90D. Both mine replaced after about 2 years, 30k miles and then the passenger side replaced a second time in Sept 2019 right before my warranty expired due to mileage. Given the number posts I see on newer cars, it does not appear there has been a design change to fully resolve the issue. Some speculate heat is an issue, but I live in central midwest, car garaged. Yeah I do see winter/summer variation, but nothing like Pheonix or Florida consistent summer heat or North Dakota type cold. Unless you regularly are in a situation where you see your car with the headlights on, many might have the issue and not even realize. I was likely that way when my first headlight started going out. I only realize it when I went to get something from my car one night and didn't turn on the garage light.

Thanks, I have a classic Model S and was interested to see if the problem has been resolved if I purchase a new Raven Model S.

I have a 2017 Model S with 95k miles on it. I am on my 4th dead DRL. Tesla wants to charge me $1500 to replace it, they've replaced one of the past 3 our of warranty for free. They're insisting on me paying for the replacement this time, the one being replaced is 18 months old. They obviously have a systemic issue they're not addressing. I'm going to file a complaint with the BBB. Does anyone know if it's feasible to replace the light myself? Can't find anything online. I can find replacement lights online used for a few hundred bucks. Wondering if it's worth going that route.

Reactions: FlatSix911