TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by houstonian, Jul 7, 2018.

1. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

In my experience, Range Mode has no effect on the DRL activation... :cool:

• Disagree x 1
  2. Nitemare3219

Nitemare3219 Member

May '17 build S. Took delivery of my car with both DRLs halfway burned out (part near the center of the car). At first I wasn't aware they failed since they looked exactly the same. I thought to myself, why the hell did Tesla make the Model X DRL look so sleek and uniform, and mine are darker near the inside corner?

Had both headlights replaced by SC around the end of 2017. No issues since.

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

It most definitely turns them off, at least on US cars.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. rohan3au

rohan3au Member

Having my entire left headlight replaced tomorrow due to failed LED's in the DRL towards the centre of the car. September Build 2017 Model S 75.

5. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

Same for me...yellow ring around touchscreen, wrinkles in leather seats, spider in the taillight, rattle in front suspension, rear interior panel gaps...yeah, it seems everytime I check for an issue listed on a forum thread, I find it lol

6. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Interesting observation... can you share your current software version?

7. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

2018.28.5 I think, but they’ve behaved that way for as long as I’ve owned the car (dec 2016).

8. D.E.

D.E. Uncorked

Has anyone disassembled one of these failed LED running light assemblies to see what is the point of failure? It is unlikely that many LEDs in the same assembly would fail simultaneously. So it is likely a corrosion issue or maybe flexure fatigue resulting broken traces on a supporting circuit board.

If replaced under warranty, I'm sure they'll retain the defective part. If anyone has one replaced and pays for the replacement, they are entitled to the defective part. If we can look at one, maybe there is a simple fix.

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Range mode has not turned off DRLs in the 5.5 years I've had the S. I'd be very upset if it did. (A U.S. car).

• Like x 1
  10. Shateam

Shateam Member

Interesting...setting range mode to 'ON' most definitely turned off my DRLs.

Late 2016 Model S

And so far no issues thus far with mine.

• Like x 1
  11. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

@Jan Fiala Unbelievable !!! Sure enough, I went to my garage to see if my 2017 S90D has this issue, and my driver side DRL is half full brightness, half 30% brightness....I gotta stop trolling the forums, it's destroying my Tesla lol...

Back to service to order a new headlamp assembly....

12. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Pre-post facelift difference maybe?
    I assure you the behavior of the actual lights mirrors what you see in the controls.

13. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Thanks for the video... the Classic Model S does not switch the DRL with Range Mode.
    The display shows the DRL always on when you toggle between Range Mode on/off...mystery solved! :cool:

• Like x 2
  14. g1000x

g1000x Member

My May 2018 driver side just partially burnt out. Grrr.... it's too early for this.

15. g1000x

g1000x Member

This is exactly what happened to mine

16. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Supporting Member

I had same problem they replaced the whole light assembly

17. lt1buick

lt1buick New Member

My passenger one is half burned out, December 2016 build. Had my screen replaced from the yellow ring, and the new one actually became worse than the original after a few months.

18. Hazelwood

Hazelwood Member

Thanks to this thread I went out and checked my DRL. Driver side dims in one section. Never even look at those headlights myself, wouldn't have noticed or looked if I hadn't read this. Thanks!

• Like x 1
  19. zacharyartman

zacharyartman Member

Broke right when I got the car, again after they replaced them, and now the right headlight is having the same problem again.

20. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

LED eyebrow dead at 20,000 miles. waiting for drivers side to do the same.. Sept 2016 build replaced under warranty, got a crappy Cadillac SUV thing to drive for a couple hours, reminded me of how crappy and unresponsive an ICE car is..