Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the list... Had right MS (June 2016 delivery) headlight replaced around 30k for the DRL “brown out” issue. Just took our MS on a road trip and went over 50k a week ago and just noticed my left DRL is now half out too. :(

At least I’m happy to see that range mode turns them off - not sure if I’m going to pay $1000 to fix this...

In my experience, Range Mode has no effect on the DRL activation... :cool:

• Disagree
Reactions: EVSteve
May '17 build S. Took delivery of my car with both DRLs halfway burned out (part near the center of the car). At first I wasn't aware they failed since they looked exactly the same. I thought to myself, why the hell did Tesla make the Model X DRL look so sleek and uniform, and mine are darker near the inside corner?

Had both headlights replaced by SC around the end of 2017. No issues since.

Has anyone disassembled one of these failed LED running light assemblies to see what is the point of failure? It is unlikely that many LEDs in the same assembly would fail simultaneously. So it is likely a corrosion issue or maybe flexure fatigue resulting broken traces on a supporting circuit board.

If replaced under warranty, I'm sure they'll retain the defective part. If anyone has one replaced and pays for the replacement, they are entitled to the defective part. If we can look at one, maybe there is a simple fix.

2. The headlights were not fully lighting up. Went to the service center about this and then got the car back a few days later. They didn't fix it so had to send it back to them again. They're working now.
View attachment 327548 View attachment 327549

Broke right when I got the car, again after they replaced them, and now the right headlight is having the same problem again.

LED eyebrow dead at 20,000 miles. waiting for drivers side to do the same.. Sept 2016 build replaced under warranty, got a crappy Cadillac SUV thing to drive for a couple hours, reminded me of how crappy and unresponsive an ICE car is..