TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by houstonian, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Bill_75D

Bill_75D Member

Tesla does everything they can to be unlike a traditional auto manufacturer. Even if it screws the customer.

• Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. jfoxny

jfoxny Member

I know forums are biased towards people complaining about issues, but, it feels to me that Tesla might have a real issue on their hands with these headlights. I got into a front-end collision a couple of months ago and the replacement headlight the Tesla-certified body shop got from Tesla arrived with a faulty DRL. Luckily the body shop caught it before returning the car to me, but, they had to wait for another one which delayed the repair slightly. So, that now makes three faulty DRLs for me (my original two headlights and now this replacement). I will say that they've taken care of me each time the DRL failed, but, it's still kind of a pain. I wonder at what point do they recall them?

3. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Recalls are for safety issues, not visual defects.

You might be able to contort DRLs into a safety issue if you twist hard enough, but I don't think that argument is going to hold much water.

4. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

They're not. I had both burn out at 50k on the nose and both were replaced under warranty early this year. 4 months later I just had one of those fail... and just replaced a few weeks ago under warranty again.

5. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Active Member

How did you get warranty work done after 50k, did you buy extended warranty? Or was it good will due to the part failing so soon after?

6. Bill_75D

Bill_75D Member

It might hold water in countries where DRLs are required by law.

7. _jal_

_jal_ Member

And it’d be nice if you could turn them off in countries that don’t.

8. _jal_

_jal_ Member

Electrically it isn’t just the drl strip/LED/CFL whatever. The last one of mine that went out affected the turn signal too eventually. If the drl was on (either cuz the headlights were on or range mode off), my turn signal would flake out and “double click” intermittently. So I wouldn’t have an indication if the signal on the outside was actually blinking or not. And no AP functions that need a turn signal would work.

Something is jacked up w the design and I wish they’d fix it. This is definitely in my “cons” column of getting another MS in my big chart of “should I get a another MS or a new M3”

9. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Turn on range mode.

• Funny x 1
  10. _jal_

_jal_ Member

That only works until the headlights turn on, and it’s certainly just a workaround. It would be nice if you could just turn them off like the fog lights

• Like x 1
  11. buzescu

buzescu Member

My June 18 MS is in service today for the right one...

12. ahkahn

ahkahn Member

The latter. It was because the part failed so soon after replacement.

13. Rhyder

Rhyder Pan fried in a tasty batter

June 2016 MS. Passenger side DRL went out within 1 month of delivery and was replaced under warranty. Driver side went out February 2018 and was replaced with customer pay $1203. Tech said it was due to a known supplier issue, but he was replacing with an upgraded unit and I shouldn't have any more problems. However, driver side just went out again...

14. FoxSTL2HOU

FoxSTL2HOU Member

Sorry to dig up an old quote, but as a May 2015 owner with the old style who just suffered a failure on the drivers side DRL, wanted to say you new owners are not alone in your suffering.

15. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

My other side started going out. So basically now both sides failed around 35K..

16. cruiserlarry

cruiserlarry Gadgetologist

I had my driver side replaced about 10k miles ago, and now with 49k, I just noticed the passenger side is starting to fail...so I'm going to set up an appointment to have it replaced before replacement before the warranty runs out...

17. nomis_nehc

nomis_nehc Member

I am going to be on my 4th set. The car just turned 1 years old. This is seriously unacceptable.

18. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Concerned citizen

That’s crazy. How come they can’t fix this? Tesla should have a few reps on the forum to answer simple questions like this. Like is Tesla planning on supporting their older fleet? Because right now it doesn’t look like they are planning on it, but if they are, maybe they could speak up and let us know when and how they are planning on it. Or are they just going to continue to take away range and functionality without any explanation? Sorry about your headlights.

19. g1000x

g1000x Member

I’ve had both DRL’s replaced in 1 year of ownership. And, my driver side just yellowed out again near the bottom corner, same spot as last time. This will be the second replacement for that DRL.

20. jjanov79

jjanov79 Member

My car will be in tomorrow for it’s 3rd replacement. 2017 with 42k miles.

• Informative x 1