Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an amazing mobile service experience. I had a SC appointment set for next week, but mobile service texted me and wondered if he could come out and do it at my workplace. Of course I said yes, as that would save me a ton of time. He rotated my tires and replaced the entire headlight to fix the driver side DRL. Everything is finished at no cost! Love this car and company.

I just had an amazing mobile service experience. I had a SC appointment set for next week, but mobile service texted me and wondered if he could come out and do it at my workplace. Of course I said yes, as that would save me a ton of time. He rotated my tires and replaced the entire headlight to fix the driver side DRL. Everything is finished at no cost! Love this car and company.

No doubt! Per my last note about a month ago, I encountered this issue on my driver's side DRL while I was on a road trip to Canada and went over my 50k during that trip. :(

Thought I was going to have to pay $1000 to fix it, so I decided to not bring it in immediately. However, having my car in 'range mode' all the time was getting annoying so I decided to call the SC today to pay and get it fixed (now I have 53,900k miles).

To my surprise, when I explained what happened - and mentioned it occurred almost two months ago, my service advisor asked me if it was under warranty when it stopped working (it was, but he didn't know that). Because of this, he said it would be covered under warranty (without me even asking). Not to mention, the part is in stock and I was able to book a 8:30AM appt. for this Thursday.

From my personal experience, that's just Tesla in a nutshell - always trying to do the right thing. Quite refreshing...

I just realized that the inner corner of my driver DRL was yellowing. The very next day half of the light is out. Looking at older photos, it seems the light was yellow in the corner for a while. I submitted a service appointment and am waiting to hear if mobile service will take care of it. My closest service center is 2 hours away.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
The LED headlights are still lacking when compared to the overall ratings for the other safety areas of the Model S... Tesla can do much better. :cool:

upload_2019-2-11_19-42-25.png

May 2016 Model S owner now at 60K miles. Had to replace the DRL and headlight assembly 2 times already under warranty. Reported DRLs were burning out prior to the 50k mark but was not replaced and now at 60k miles SC is asking for payment of $2k for replacement parts and warranty. This is ridiculous - customer having to bear cost of defective parts that continue to malfunction.

I can guarantee that in a year the DRL will burn out again. Is there an option to escalate this within Tesla?

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
May 2016 Model S owner now at 60K miles. Had to replace the DRL and headlight assembly 2 times already under warranty. Reported DRLs were burning out prior to the 50k mark but was not replaced and now at 60k miles SC is asking for payment of $2k for replacement parts and warranty. This is ridiculous - customer having to bear cost of defective parts that continue to malfunction.

I can guarantee that in a year the DRL will burn out again. Is there an option to escalate this within Tesla?

Log in to you MyTesla account and select the escalate option available under Support... :cool:

upload_2019-2-12_18-48-1.png

Just got my Q1 2017 MS P100D and just had the driverside headlight replaced last week as the inner part of the DRL was burnt out. Guess what.......the passenger side now has the same problem. I'm calling the SC today to replace that one as well. It's clearly a common issue.

Hello all, new to the forum.

I had this happen to my DRL on the passenger side around a year into owning the car. It was replaced under warranty. It's happening again to the same light, only nine months later. They're of course telling me I need to pay for the replacement as the vehicle is out of warranty now even though the part is less than a year old and obviously defective.

Any options to repair it outside of them doing it? Are these LED bulbs accessible at all? I don't see them on the parts chart, just the whole assembly.

I'm also fighting them to replace it under warranty as it's almost new.

The LEDs themselves are very reliable. From what I’ve seen here, most people lose a bunch of them at once. This makes me wonder if it is a circuitry problem rather than an LED failure. The only LED failure that would cause a whole row to go out at once would be if they are hooked up in series and that isn’t usually the way one wires LEDs.

Anyway, you can buy individual LEDs. They vary in brightness so if one was to replace an LED, you’d want to match the color and brightness. If it is a circuit problem, replacing an LED isn’t likely to fix the problem.

I don’t know if the assembly can be disassembled to allow one to get to the LEDs or the supporting circuit boards. If the overall housing is glued it might be nearly impossible to take it apart without destroying the overall assembly.

If anyone has one that has been replaced outside of warranty, and has the old part, I’d love to see if it can be repaired.

The LEDs themselves are very reliable. From what I’ve seen here, most people lose a bunch of them at once. This makes me wonder if it is a circuitry problem rather than an LED failure. The only LED failure that would cause a whole row to go out at once would be if they are hooked up in series and that isn’t usually the way one wires LEDs.

Anyway, you can buy individual LEDs. They vary in brightness so if one was to replace an LED, you’d want to match the color and brightness. If it is a circuit problem, replacing an LED isn’t likely to fix the problem.

I don’t know if the assembly can be disassembled to allow one to get to the LEDs or the supporting circuit boards. If the overall housing is glued it might be nearly impossible to take it apart without destroying the overall assembly.

If anyone has one that has been replaced outside of warranty, and has the old part, I’d love to see if it can be repaired.

Service guy told me they had to replace the entire headlight unit