Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the new lights still have issues with the surround LED?!

My left side eyebrow is half out and I am at 47k miles.

Also I heard the original facelift headlamps didn’t do so well on IIHS headlamp test. Tesla made the model 3 lights much better. Did Tesla eventually made improvements on model s and x lights since? For those who got new lights, are they any better?

2017 Tesla Model S
2018 Tesla Model 3

Unfortunately, the LED headlights in the current 2018 Model S are still poor compared to the Model 3 and pre-2016 Model S with HID lights.

March 2018 build here and my DLR's are failing on passenger side.

Im debating if i should get it fixed now before tesla decides to screw us over with not replacing it like the yellow screens, or if i should wait for tesla to release a fix to the yellow screens and get it exchanged at the same time..

But here are pictures... sigh...
Definitely these are Schrödinger's headlights as stated above.
You do not realize something is dead until you actually go in front of your car with the door open.

20190528-144941.jpg

20190528-144951.jpg

My front Bumper is wraped in Xpel.
Anyone know if i need to get it removed to get the Headlight replaced?
Im pretty sure they wraped the bumper around the edges, so it shouldn't require removal for the bumper to come off.

Last edited:
Reactions: StefanSarzio

Im debating if i should get it fixed now before tesla decides to screw us over with not replacing it like the yellow screens, or if i should wait for tesla to release a fix to the yellow screens and get it exchanged at the same time..

You do not realize something is dead until you actually go in front of your car with the door open.

20190528-144941.jpg

20190528-144951.jpg

Im pretty sure they wraped the bumper around the edges, so it shouldn't require removal for the bumper to come off.
My 12/17 MS just had first DRL failure and had it replaced at the same mobile visit as MCU yellow screen replacement couple weeks ago. My car is wrapped in xpel and it did not even cross my mind - have since washed her and did not notice any issues.

20190528-144941.jpg

20190528-144951.jpg

I have SunTek PPF on my entire front, including headlights. My drivers side running light just turned yellow. I’m reluctant to get it replaced because I don’t want to lose the PPF protection

20190528-144941.jpg

20190528-144951.jpg

They don't remove the bumper. All the work is done from within the frunk. Actually, they remove the frunk and then replace the entire module. It's the size of a shoebox.

And, the tech (fwiw) said that this is an ongoing issue. So, it isn't a bad batch of assemblies they got 3 years ago and are working their way out of. The 2019 MS are just as likely to have this issue as the late 2016. I looked really close at the bad module and couldn't see any obvious sign of water or other damage.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
They don't remove the bumper. All the work is done from within the frunk. Actually, they remove the frunk and then replace the entire module. It's the size of a shoebox.

And, the tech (fwiw) said that this is an ongoing issue. So, it isn't a bad batch of assemblies they got 3 years ago and are working their way out of. The 2019 MS are just as likely to have this issue as the late 2016. I looked really close at the bad module and couldn't see any obvious sign of water or other damage.
They do remove the bumper. I just had my drivers side replaced a few weeks ago and watched them do it. I have Xpel on the front bumper also and it does not effect it.

I just had mine replaced back in January... both headlights. Just had the passenger side go out again, and they just replaced that one again. This is crazy!
Yep, I have had the same problem. When I had my drivers side light replaced several months ago, it was bad almost immediately. Just as soon as I had that one replaced again, the passenger side one went out again.

• Informative
Reactions: ahkahn
I had passenger side replaced on a 2016 refresh. I noticed a ballast hum coming from the light when off shortly after getting car. I was told on this forum it was a sign that it would eventually quit. About a year later it did. Service replaced. If they are LED I can't see why there would be a ballast involved. I can't imagine they are CFL, but LED require no ballast. Makes me wonder just what they are...o_O

LEDs use a driver instead of a ballast. Not sure how different a driver is from a ballast. That would be interesting if it was just the driver going bad. I wonder how replaceable it is. That might go with my heat theory as to what’s causing the problem. The drivers might not have sufficient cooling. I’ve noticed that a lot of complaints on here are from people from hot climates, but then again most of the cars are sold in California.

They do remove the bumper. I just had my drivers side replaced a few weeks ago and watched them do it. I have Xpel on the front bumper also and it does not effect it.
Geez, I’m sorry then. I kept an eye on them and never saw the bumper off, but I didn’t actually watch every minute of the whole process. It must have been off for a short while.

Geez, I’m sorry then. I kept an eye on them and never saw the bumper off, but I didn’t actually watch every minute of the whole process. It must have been off for a short while.

They definitely don't take off the bumper under normal circumstances. This last time mine was replaced in my work parking lot in about 20 minutes. There was no way as quickly as the guy did it that he took off the bumper. He did, however, need access to the frunk.

They definitely don't take off the bumper under normal circumstances. This last time mine was replaced in my work parking lot in about 20 minutes. There was no way as quickly as the guy did it that he took off the bumper. He did, however, need access to the frunk.
The bumper can be removed is just a few minutes if you have done it before. It does not have to be disconnected from the lower air dam though.

• Informative
Reactions: ahkahn
well i submitted a service request.

I am too scared to let it wait for the yellow boarder fix to get it all done at the same time.
I am really worried they will push it out as "cosmetic" on that end as well, and charge for a new assembly.