Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tell tale sign is yellowing, followed by the DRL dying after yellowing. The actual headlights never seem to fail. If this happened out of warranty, I'd definitely consider not replacing my headlight until both go out (DRL is added safety). It shouldn't have to come to that choice though. Tesla should find someone who can make a proper headlight. Its beyond nuts that newer cars have this exact same headlight that the IIHS rated as "poor".

I’m reading this I went to check and my Dec 2016 Model S75 driver side headlight parking light was not working, opened a service ticket with Tesla mobile person I always deal with , waiting for response

Attachments

• 51F070E5-B538-42C4-9F98-87CE8FB4E629.jpeg
    51F070E5-B538-42C4-9F98-87CE8FB4E629.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 158
The claim that it is a wear item is ridiculous just because they are suffering the consequences of choosing the cheapest manufacturer. Having to replace a whole headlight is not a user serviceable item such as brake pads. Yellow screens, handles that don’t present, lights that don’t run, sub par fit, why would I bother with a Tesla for my next vehicle? I can’t wait to see what Lexus shows for their first EV, hopefully it has respectable range unlike the Germans.

Holy crap, I thought me being on the 4th replacement is bad, guess you have me beat.

Also, my last replacement, the adviser had the balls to tell me that it's because of my PPF on the headlight that's causing the LED failure. I used to modify headlights for a living, so this was laughable to me at best. So for shits and giggles, I didn't put PPF on this replacement... and one month later, I have chips and blemishes on that headlight. Now I am just praying for the m'fer to die again so Tesla can replace it.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Holy smokes!!!! Do you drive through a mine field or something?

I have over 37k miles on a Jan 2017 MS in Michigan with terrible roads and so far, no headlight issues.
I park it under an awning every day.. I can't figure out any reason i have to have them replaced so much. All replacement parts have a 1 year warranty and I've never had one last that long. Im hoping this new set will work.. if not I guess its free headlights for life

Reactions: croman
Mine went out on the driver's side. I spoke to the shop foreman and he said it's due to heat. I don't have anything on the headlights but he did mentioned xpel or any other product on the headlights trap more heat and will cause increase in failure. Not sure how true this is though. If heat is the main cause of these issues, than Tesla clearly has a faulty product and needs to address this asap.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Bot
Has anyone taken these things apart to see why so many fail? Is it cheap parts? Bad design? Something else?
Both of mine on my 2016 failed this year. The ranger told me the LEDs at the top corner illuminate a light transmitting strip that ages prematurely and quits transmitting light. As I once said, too bad the headlight assembly isn’t designed so we can replace a $10 light strip rather than the whole bulb.

Bot

Both of mine on my 2016 failed this year. The ranger told me the LEDs at the top corner illuminate a light transmitting strip that ages prematurely and quits transmitting light. As I once said, too bad the headlight assembly isn’t designed so we can replace a $10 light strip rather than the whole bulb.

For now.
As soon as these go out of warranty and start failing, for sure someone will find a way to diy fix it.