Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a p100dl that was built November 2017. I had both my front lights replaced due to this issue. I think there might be a deeper issue then the headlights.

After replacement, I complained about my headlights (DRL) glowing on the edges when the car is parked and off. I attached the photos for reference.

I just got back from a service center appointment regarding this issue. They have no idea what's wrong. I'm concerned there is a circuit issue causing phantom power which is illuminating the LEDs. Due to incorrect voltage, the LEDs lifespan could be reduced.

If my car goes out of warranty and they dont fix this issue, I'm at risk to constantly replace my headlights. For that reason, Tesla needs to resolve the issue. It seems ethical to acknowledge the issue with a recal and extended warranty for those that are at risk.
That’s funny. My previous car (which had both lights replaced) also definitely had this. I thought it was a feature to maintain some level of visibility. My new car totally does not.

I know forums are biased towards people complaining about issues, but, it feels to me that Tesla might have a real issue on their hands with these headlights. I got into a front-end collision a couple of months ago and the replacement headlight the Tesla-certified body shop got from Tesla arrived with a faulty DRL. Luckily the body shop caught it before returning the car to me, but, they had to wait for another one which delayed the repair slightly. So, that now makes three faulty DRLs for me (my original two headlights and now this replacement). I will say that they've taken care of me each time the DRL failed, but, it's still kind of a pain. I wonder at what point do they recall them?

Noticed yesterday that the DRL on the headlight they replaced in June has now "burned out." Scheduled a service appointment for next week. That's #4 for me.

• Funny
Reactions: hpartsch
I bought my 2016 refreshed Model S from Tesla in August. Both DRL’s were already yellowed.

Had both replaced yesterday at the service center under warranty.

They are much brighter now!
4092B173-DD77-4CB2-9C42-503D4D4440E9.jpeg

Reactions: Scorpyo
2017 MS 75D 48k miles. Mobile tech is outside replacing for the 4th time now (both lights are affected). Take note, they most lower the front bumper to replace the headlights. After the third time they replaced these, the tech did not properly secure the "valence," as Tesla calls it, under the car. I call this a skid plate, but it's essentially the big black piece of plastic that attaches to the front bumper and should be flush with the groove in the bumper. There are notches and slots and plastic screws that help the valence stay put. If they don't reattach it properly, it will detach while driving at high speed and drag the ground, which happened to me. As you might expect, it got damaged while dragging. Tesla had to replace that for me and they did not agree with me that it was caused by their failure to re-attach it. End result was a $500 charge for parts and labor.

• Informative
Reactions: cucubits
2017 MS 75D 48k miles. Mobile tech is outside replacing for the 4th time now (both lights are affected). Take note, they most lower the front bumper to replace the headlights. After the third time they replaced these, the tech did not properly secure the "valence," as Tesla calls it, under the car. I call this a skid plate, but it's essentially the big black piece of plastic that attaches to the front bumper and should be flush with the groove in the bumper. There are notches and slots and plastic screws that help the valence stay put. If they don't reattach it properly, it will detach while driving at high speed and drag the ground, which happened to me. As you might expect, it got damaged while dragging. Tesla had to replace that for me and they did not agree with me that it was caused by their failure to re-attach it. End result was a $500 charge for parts and labor.
So what did they claim caused it and why it wasn't their problem? Unless it was caused by something you did i.e. ran into something etc. It would seem to be a result of part failure or installation.

So what did they claim caused it and why it wasn't their problem? Unless it was caused by something you did i.e. ran into something etc. It would seem to be a result of part failure or installation.
There were some normal signs of wear on the front underside (a bit of scraping here and there from road debris and the occasional parking curb), so they claimed that because I hit something, it broke loose. I haven't hit anything recently that was in the road or parking curbs. In fact, the only noise I heard when it broke loose was a difference in wind noise as the air was being caught by the dropped valence.

2016 June MS75 - 78k miles. Had my DRLs go brown on the passenger side at 30k miles, and then the driver's side at 48k about 1.5 years ago under warranty. Recently (75k) my driver's side headlight would not turn on at all, but it seemed to resolve itself if I would shut down the car for 5 minutes. This progressively got worse and worse until one day the I noticed the DRL flickered a bunch of times during startup and then blew out 2/3rds and since then the regular headlight has been working fine.

I wish there was just a way to turn the DRLs off for good - it doesn't even seem like 'range mode' does the trick anymore?

Not rushing to replace this anytime soon since it seems like its going to keep happening, in fact, I hope the same happens to the other side so at least it matches :)

download.png

I think that this is a faulty assumption. A new revision would accompany a hardware change. The problem could be due to a problem with a manufacturing process. Correction of such the process would not entail a change to the assembly revision.

If that were the case, we wouldn't be reading reports of burnt-out headlights 3 years after they were introduced. Although I do hope you are right.

I can't wait till there are more options for decent electric sedans in the $80k to $100k range, I am tired of all the crappy small issues. Maybe the Audi GT will be it, I think the Taycan is too expensive for the specs.
My wife wanted to put a deposit down on a Toocan when they were announced but Porsche required a check to your local dealership at that time. We said Nope and NO-WAY. Needless to say we are happy we didn’t...the Toocan is really a let down car. On their other hand her most favorite car(s) ever were her BMW 7’s. She’ll probably run not walk to BMW and toss her Model X to the curb if/once a BEV 7 series is available.

If that were the case, we wouldn't be reading reports of burnt-out headlights 3 years after they were introduced.
Again, a faulty assumption. As we have seen with the dreaded yellow border on the MCU display, which we know for a fact is due to a problem in the manufacturing process (improper curing of the adhesive), the problem could appear within a few months of buying a new vehicle, or a couple of years down the road.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Glad I found this thread to understand the issue and realize its not just my car I noticed this morning that my 2017 Model S 75D passenger side DRL ring is out. Headlight still works. With 55,000 miles and out of warranty I'll save my $1000 for now as it doesn't really impact me driving the car (just not looking as it should) . Maybe something will change.

Reactions: SteelSully
Glad I found this thread to understand the issue and realize its not just my car I noticed this morning that my 2017 Model S 75D passenger side DRL ring is out. Headlight still works. With 55,000 miles and out of warranty I'll save my $1000 for now as it doesn't really impact me driving the car (just not looking as it should) . Maybe something will change.

They might good-will a replacement for you since you're not that far out of warranty. That's what they did for one of my replacements. Also note, all parts have (I think) a one year warranty so even if the car is out of warranty if you get a replacement part it itself has a warranty. My most recent DRL went out on a headlight that I had replaced in June of this year and it was replaced at no-cost under the parts warranty.

Reactions: mp0i and SteelSully
They might good-will a replacement for you since you're not that far out of warranty. That's what they did for one of my replacements. Also note, all parts have (I think) a one year warranty so even if the car is out of warranty if you get a replacement part it itself has a warranty. My most recent DRL went out on a headlight that I had replaced in June of this year and it was replaced at no-cost under the parts warranty.

I can attest to this as well... I posted before that my 2nd LED went out at 48k miles, but we were on a road trip and by the time I brought it to the SC my MS was at 52k miles. I honestly didn't think it would be covered, but when I briefly mentioned that it happened prior to me hitting 50k they didn't hesitate/question me at all.

But, could you please ask for us if they've fixed the root cause? ;)

Reactions: mp0i