Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S with 95k miles on it. I am on my 4th dead DRL. Tesla wants to charge me $1500 to replace it, they've replaced one of the past 3 our of warranty for free. They're insisting on me paying for the replacement this time, the one being replaced is 18 months old. They obviously have a systemic issue they're not addressing. I'm going to file a complaint with the BBB. Does anyone know if it's feasible to replace the light myself? Can't find anything online. I can find replacement lights online used for a few hundred bucks. Wondering if it's worth going that route.

Let us know how that works out. I suspect Tesla will fight it and simply tell you pound sand--it's their new customer service mantra . . . .

In the interim, this is yet another reason to purchase the ESA from Tesla before, or immediately after, your regular warranty runs out:

Extended Service Agreement

Get it in before the warranty expires!

Otherwise, it's the Goodwill Lottery and it's been coming up empty of late . . .

Question...I am having mobile service come to my house tomorrow for replacing my headlights and a look at the passenger side airbag. First time using Tesla service. Do they normally send an estimate before the repairs? The estimate is roughly $3,157.

• Informative
Reactions: zimeon and SO16
Just had both of mine replaced again—one year after my first replacement which occurred less than two years into my ownership.

However, I did note that my recent new headlights were an F revision instead of the D revision they replaced.

I have the D revision and both sides DRL are going out. They have been replaced about twice on one side and once on the other. I am now out of warranty. I was wondering if anyone who has the F revision has had the DRL go out.

Where do I look on the headlamp assembly to find the part number and revision? From the Swedish forum post, it looks like the common failure mode: LEDs overheated and darkened the end of the upper light pipe. Fail fast, then iterate. Regardless, my 1st and 2nd Model S have both performed very well.

Jun 2016 P90DL with the right side not working. Ranger is coming next week.

Attachments

• PXL_20210111_133020421.jpg
    PXL_20210111_133020421.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 92
SHHHHH Replacements on ebay for ~$100-$200....seriously tho some needs a aftermarket fix business

I would love to. This is within my skillset to work on a fix. That being said, even offering money, I have not found anyone who is willing to part with a unit displaying these symptoms.