Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you read my post further up regarding the F series, Telsa believes the redesign in that version has solved the LED burnout issue.

Right, I saw that. My point is that I don't have particular confidence about what Tesla has to say on this matter lol. The service advisor has bs'ed me on this for so long, even going as far as blaming the failure on me putting PPF on the lens. That's the reason why I remain skeptical (as one should after going through 4 sets of headlights).

Right, I saw that. My point is that I don't have particular confidence about what Tesla has to say on this matter lol. The service advisor has bs'ed me on this for so long, even going as far as blaming the failure on me putting PPF on the lens. That's the reason why I remain skeptical (as one should after going through 4 sets of headlights).
I hear ya, as I've gone thru three sets of headlights myself. I am waiting to see what the long term results are with this version for multiple people. I am cautiously optimistic given that this is first Tesla has spoken of any substantial redesign of the product, and I suspect they want to eliminate what has been a non-trivial expense for both them and customers.

I just had both replaced on a 2017 refresh (august 30 build). Judging by the part numbers, it’s different than pre-refresh (hence thread title) but, does anyone know The reliability of these post refresh part numbers?

Attachments

• 61F2798B-78DD-470E-8678-A8462901C08B.png
    61F2798B-78DD-470E-8678-A8462901C08B.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 123
I didn't read the whole thread but the OP posted -D part number suffix. Tesla thought they had it fixed years ago... there was -D, then -E, then -F, and now -G. Did they really fix it? Time will tell. With Tesla's track record of Model S fixes 🤣

I had one fail under warranty, tech replaced it but didn't align it. He came back, got it close but not really aligned. I think the other one wasn't looking perfect but that's someone else's problem now.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Ranger tech will be here this morning to replace my passenger side headlight housing under warranty while doing some other warranty work to include a driver's side door handle and a passenger side tail light with moisture in it. It looks like the estimate/invoice is calling for the -F part number. I'm not sure how he's going to reposition/aim my headlights in broad daylight but I guess time will tell. Did any of you have adjustment issues after having your headlights replaced or did they also aim them at the same time?

Ranger tech will be here this morning to replace my passenger side headlight housing under warranty while doing some other warranty work to include a driver's side door handle and a passenger side tail light with moisture in it. It looks like the estimate/invoice is calling for the -F part number. I'm not sure how he's going to reposition/aim my headlights in broad daylight but I guess time will tell. Did any of you have adjustment issues after having your headlights replaced or did they also aim them at the same time?

I feared the same but no aiming was needed after replacement.

This is weird and interesting, considering that G revisions are out. But if Tesla is still replacing it with F, that's possibly a good sign -- or they're just trying to get rid of stock.

Also, to the post above... I have never seen revision E before (from my scouring on Ebay for replacements). That's an odd one.

Do you have some weird build without foglights or premium anything? I think those are the headlights without the turning lights.
This was right when many items were moving from PUP’s to standard equipment, like adaptive headlights. I did not order any PUP. I do have fog lights, and my car has partial adaptive lighting, but according to threads I read a few years back, it does not have “full “adaptive lighting. There is one small outboard light that comes on when I make a sharp turn. It’s pretty useless. Point being, it does not surprise me the headlight assembly for my car may be somewhat unique.
according to internetdude, E was part of the lightning assembly progression. Maybe for a small subset of cars like mine

I feared the same but no aiming was needed after replacement.
The ranger tecg swapped out the headlight and no adjustments were done or even offered. I guess we'll see how they are aimed once I get a chance to drive it when it's dark out. On this particular car they were a little low anyway so worst case scenario I can adjust them up to where they probably should be as compared to my other LED headlight Teslas.

This is weird and interesting, considering that G revisions are out. But if Tesla is still replacing it with F, that's possibly a good sign -- or they're just trying to get rid of stock.

Also, to the post above... I have never seen revision E before (from my scouring on Ebay for replacements). That's an odd one.
I should say that the work order invoice showed a revision model of -F on the part that they ordered. What the mobile tech installed may or may not be a revision -G but unfortunately I had a meeting and was unable to see what part she installed.

Parts for the model s plaid are up at Parts Catalog. The headlight parts are the same as the G version for the refresh model S. It also lists prices for parts. I wonder if the beam pattern is any better. Anyone with a plaid who can compare the headlights?
This is a great disappointment to me. After seeing how great the lighting was with the Models 3 & Y, I was expected much improved headlights in the Model S refresh, figuring that Tesla has since learned how to do it well. Model S has always had poor lighting, as evidenced here.

This is a great disappointment to me. After seeing how great the lighting was with the Models 3 & Y, I was expected much improved headlights in the Model S refresh, figuring that Tesla has since learned how to do it well. Model S has always had poor lighting, as evidenced here.
Ditto. I didn’t get a chance to check out the headlights on the refresh yet, and if they aren’t more powerful than current gen, I will be disappointed.

At least the cabin lights are much improved!