Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also got a pair of new lights from that EBay seller. I noticed no revision sticker on the lights, and emailed them. They told me they were revision "G", as they purchased a large number of pairs from the last production run directly from Tesla, as there was an overstock of them once the Matrix headlights or the S were released. They were absolutely brand new, without a scratch, and I installed them with no issues. Might be the placebo effect, but I'd swear the pattern is a little better than the original "B" revision I had - there is very little gap on the road, unlike the originals....and as for the DRLs, so far so good lol

I also got a pair of new lights from that EBay seller. I noticed no revision sticker on the lights, and emailed them. They told me they were revision "G", as they purchased a large number of pairs from the last production run directly from Tesla, as there was an overstock of them once the Matrix headlights or the S were released. They were absolutely brand new, without a scratch, and I installed them with no issues. Might be the placebo effect, but I'd swear the pattern is a little better than the original "B" revision I had - there is very little gap on the road, unlike the originals....and as for the DRLs, so far so good lol
This story doesn't check out. Like Elon is out here making time to sell small batches of random parts to eBay sellers?

It's interesting that the comments say the items may have light damage from improper storage. Also noticed the manufacturer part number includes every revision except the one they claim it is. It also appears they are selling individual ones as well (Item number: 304477398297 for Right side). May go ahead and snag one for myself and find out

I just came across this thread. Is this the problem mentioned here ? Both sides are exactly like this.

IMG_4544.jpg

This story doesn't check out. Like Elon is out here making time to sell small batches of random parts to eBay sellers?
No one said Tesla is selling small batches to EBay sellers....Tesla transitioned to a new production unit, and the supplier had overstock of the old units. This seller is a larger company that deals in surplus auto parts, bought something like 400+ sets. Regardless of the accuracy of that story (which I have in an email, so it's in writing), The coompany offered to give me a 100% refund AND pay return shipping if I felt I was not getting what they advertised, or if there were any issues with th e lights when I received them. I took a chance and purchased a set - they arrived in perfect shape, they are brand new, and they function 100%. So, I saved $1500 over Tesla's price, got them in 3 days, and they work perfectly. YRMV

I just came across this thread. Is this the problem mentioned here ? Both sides are exactly like this.

View attachment 842379
Yea my wife's 2018 Model S was like that too. Lucky for us, my wife and I took separate Model S's one day and while she was driving behind me, I saw the headlights burned out in my rear view mirror. It was but a few months before the 4 year warranty was up. You don't notice your DRL's burning from the driver's seat.

Why? When driving the car, you don't have to look at the DRL's. ;)
Yeah, that's the problem with OCD...I see them when I'm parked, or in the reflection of the car in front of me....but, honestly, just knowing is enough, lol. Every time I see an S with the same issue coming towards me on the road, I feel frustrated at the lack of support and deliberate avoidance by Tesla for an obvious, widespread defect issue. Another missed opportunity by Tesla, IMHO, to generate good will and maintain a firm grip on their loyal customer base...

Reactions: y2khd
No one said Tesla is selling small batches to EBay sellers....Tesla transitioned to a new production unit, and the supplier had overstock of the old units. This seller is a larger company that deals in surplus auto parts, bought something like 400+ sets. Regardless of the accuracy of that story (which I have in an email, so it's in writing), The coompany offered to give me a 100% refund AND pay return shipping if I felt I was not getting what they advertised, or if there were any issues with th e lights when I received them. I took a chance and purchased a set - they arrived in perfect shape, they are brand new, and they function 100%. So, I saved $1500 over Tesla's price, got them in 3 days, and they work perfectly. YRMV

Do you have the company name or seller you can share?

JAN 2017 S75D-nee-S60D high-mileage owner here.

FWIW I've got ~49k on the car and the two part numbers that were replaced were:
  • Drivers Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, RH (1053571- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Passenger Headlight Assembly - HD/LP ASY, SAE UP-LEVEL, LH (1053570- 1 00-D) / Covered by 50k warranty
  • Bonus fact: Service said the part cost ~$1.2k + labor (asked as I'm rapidly approaching the 50k mark and debating whether or not I want to extend the warranty).
From where did you got the information of Headlight Assembly 50 K (= 80'000 km) warranty ?
Thanks in advance for your reply.