Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got mine replaced under the extended warranty. The tech mentioned they will still die, probably in 3 years or so. The warranty on the new ones is only 1 year 12k miles! I am keeping my old ones just in case something terrible happened to the new ones, the old ones at least burnt evening on both sides.

Has anyone replaced version D with the newest version E and had another burn out? As of sept 2022 in the USA, version E
is the replacement for non-lighting upgrade package.

Tesla say they will replace one unit for $1,478 (tax and labor included). Wonder if version E is worth it, if anyone has had them burn our?

It's interesting that the comments say the items may have light damage from improper storage. Also noticed the manufacturer part number includes every revision except the one they claim it is. It also appears they are selling individual ones as well (Item number: 304477398297 for Right side). May go ahead and snag one for myself and find out
Figured I would update after purchasing one for my slightly yellowing driver side drl (let me know if you want it. Not dim, just yellowing on the top part). The part is packaged very well. There is tesla stamping on the housing as well. Won't swap it yet but will be interesting to check the writing and stamping vs the one in it now.

Attachments

• 20220913_194418.jpg
    20220913_194418.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 166
  • 20220913_194426.jpg
    20220913_194426.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220913_194444.jpg
    20220913_194444.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220913_194508.jpg
    20220913_194508.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 77
The original individual LED DRLs may last longer, but they are a dated look, IMO. The refresh DRLs look much higher-tech and use newer design...too bad Tesla didn't make sure the quality was where it should be on a 100k car....
Dated just means you got used to seeing it. Even current Model S looks "dated" to many people as it looked very similar for many years, 10 years now, with a minor bumper/lights refresh 6 years ago. Even the refresh lights look dated to me btw (I have one of each , pre and post refresh Model S). Lights which don't look dated are probably the laser projection lights which can light your lane in front of your car even if the lane curves, not blind other car drivers, highlight road signs or pedestrians by shining more light on them. project GPS arrows/directions in front of your car, etc - I saw a demo of such lights on an Audi, today it looks so not-dated, but give it a few years and people will get bored of that too.

Personally I don't care if something starts looking dated as long as it's functional and I liked the look at first.

The original individual LED DRLs may last longer, but they are a dated look, IMO. The refresh DRLs look much higher-tech and use newer design...too bad Tesla didn't make sure the quality was where it should be on a 100k car....
It might be dated look but every time I see one coming you can clearly tell its model S from far distance because they are so bright.. Newer ones are more high-tech only the DRL part is where they didn't do much innovation and it keeps failing.

The company is parts_link on EBay, and the link to the lights is:
So my car is in service now with the passenger side with the yellow dimming. Tesla is refusing to replace under the extended warranty. Ironically, they bother were previously replaced under that same warranty when the technician that was working on another issue pointed them out to me. I had not noticed the defect because they were both symmetrical "J" shape. Tesla wants $1,750 to replace!! Ridiculous! If I purchase myself from eBay, is there instructions in this thread or anywhere as to how to replace them? I could not find--but of course this thread is 33 pages long.

Finally got mine replaced under the extended warranty. The tech mentioned they will still die, probably in 3 years or so. The warranty on the new ones is only 1 year 12k miles! I am keeping my old ones just in case something terrible happened to the new ones, the old ones at least burnt evening on both sides.
Luckily for you the random wheel of Tesla service landed on "Take care of the customer" today, at the Indianapolis center--the wheel has landed on "Tough luck for you"

So my car is in service now with the passenger side with the yellow dimming. Tesla is refusing to replace under the extended warranty. Ironically, they bother were previously replaced under that same warranty when the technician that was working on another issue pointed them out to me. I had not noticed the defect because they were both symmetrical "J" shape. Tesla wants $1,750 to replace!! Ridiculous! If I purchase myself from eBay, is there instructions in this thread or anywhere as to how to replace them? I could not find--but of course this thread is 33 pages long.
:( If it has been replaced before then the warranty is only a year ... That's the thing I am not aware of until I was told. I wonder if xcare extended warranty is the same, imagine if all things replaced under the extended warranty only last one year ...

I think there is a youtube video on how to, basically there is a screw in the wheel wheel on each side that you need to take off, then remove 8 bolts underneath the front part of the car to remove the cover, after that you can remove the bumper cover and then you can replace the headlight.

Last edited:
That's a bunch of BS. How can they not be covered? I would love to know why Tesla has kept using this defective design for so long in the first place.

Reactions: y2khd
:( If it has been replaced before then the warranty is only a year ... That's the thing I am not aware of until I was told. I wonder if xcare extended warranty is the same, imagine if all things replaced under the extended warranty only last one year ...

I think there is a youtube video on how to, basically there is a screw in the wheel wheel on each side that you need to take off, then remove 8 bolts underneath the front part of the car to remove the cover, after that you can remove the bumper cover and then you can replace the headlight.

Thanks--that video is helpful.

That's a bunch of BS. How can they not be covered? I would love to know why Tesla has kept using this defective design for so long in the first place.
Exactly--it is a failed design that should have been stopped or manufacturing process changed long ago, and of course since this is clearly a manufacturer defect--they should certainly "do the right thing"especially since I spent $4,300 on the damn extended warranty! They offer a $200 discount on the $1,750 quote! No thanks!

:( If it has been replaced before then the warranty is only a year ... That's the thing I am not aware of until I was told.

That’s flatly false and you should fight tooth and nail if that’s what you were told.

The 1 year parts warranty is only for customer-pay (i.e. out of warranty) parts. They can’t sell you a 4 year warranty and then say “oh we replaced that part already and the warranty is only good for a year”.

3B89C222-CC65-4CE7-8D5B-0AE91C623BDF.jpeg
I have a Model S made in October 2016.I have the same problem as most people…the top of the DRL burnt out on both headlights.My second set only last a year and a half before one side burnt out with the other side burning out not long after.

I asked Tesla if I could install the G revision but they said that based on my VIN that I have to use part number 1065041-00-B (Left Hand) and 1065042-00-B (Right Hand).
Each headlight costs $1470.00 CanadIan.

My biggest worry is how long will they last? Is the quality of those just as bad as the ones I will be replacing?

I don’t wanna spend that much money only to have them fail again.

Can I use the F revision even though Tesla said that based on my VIN that I have to use a B revision?

Why can’t I put on the revision G…does it use a different connection?

I have attached and image of the part numbers that Tesla says I have to use and what Tesla quoted me for the cost of each based on my VIN.

Thanks

Attachments

• 67603A44-8E1F-4782-9617-C657C8E7DE81.jpeg
    67603A44-8E1F-4782-9617-C657C8E7DE81.jpeg
    382.7 KB · Views: 60