Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 / Early 2017 S Owners: How Are Your Daytime Running Lights Holding Up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found their web page for those that may need some help.

Reactions: Krash
I found their web page for those that may need some help.
Not sure I understand what the options mean for the running lights. I assume “none” would be not touching them.

Is the entire light out or just the turn signals? I bought a temporary set for my car while I get some custom ones done for about 400$ haven't installed them yet but apparently the drls actually work lol.
Actually the drivers side headlight wouldn’t turn off for a few days. It then started working properly. A few days later I got another update and then my Autopilot no longer worked. Service sent me an $1800 estimate to replace the HW3 computer.

Actually the drivers side headlight wouldn’t turn off for a few days. It then started working properly. A few days later I got another update and then my Autopilot no longer worked. Service sent me an $1800 estimate to replace the HW3 computer.
Yikes. Hopefully thst doesn't happen again. Sorry to hear about the new issue though. Headlights would be 3-4k replacement from them

Yikes. Hopefully thst doesn't happen again. Sorry to hear about the new issue though. Headlights would be 3-4k replacement from them
Everything is back to normal after installing an update that became available today. I took some extra precautions and made sure I had a solid WiFi connection. Of course I don’t know for sure if that’s what made the difference, but I did have weak connections for the last couple updates.

As far as headlights go, I would always just buy used. Preferably ones with the burnt out DRL. That doesn’t bother me as long as they match

If iccould make a suggestion to anyone it would be to go with SW lights. Evil headlights had some shady business practices. I've been on the fence between both guys and SW is more transparent and offers a lifetime warranty on your ownership of the vehicle. Evil legitimately told me if I ha e any issues to not reach out to him. All class. 🚮

Has anyone bought and installed the "new" headlights from ebay sellser parts-link?

• What version was received?
  • Have they or will they also failed over time?
  • What was the condition of the lights?

Has anyone bought and installed the "new" headlights from ebay sellser parts-link?

• What version was received?
  • Have they or will they also failed over time?
  • What was the condition of the lights?
They will fail again over time. There is an apparent design flaw. Short of getting some aftermarket product to replace it there is no fail safe ones.

I decided to go ahead and order replacement lights from ebay seller parts-link. I have to say, I am impressed as there are brand new. The ones I ordered were marketed as "damaged". I found one broken mount on each light, the rest was 100% perfect. No version label on the headlights.

I did an unboxing and inspection video here

I also did a video of me repairing they two tabs.

Reactions: P85D13 and beatle
Similar to rebar, you may want to use some steel mesh as a reinforcement when repairing the tabs vs. only using filler. If you don't have the existing tab (like your second example) you may need to do it in two stages to ensure the mesh doesn't move around as you spread the filler. Here is another video of headlight tab repair / welding plastic:

Reactions: P85D13