Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2016 Model S 90D with high mileage 150K+ vs Late 2016 75D 80K+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,
I am on a search for another car and I am looking at some of the old 2016/early 2017 Model S cars since they have FUSC. The mileage on the car vary a lot from around 50-80K and I have seen some with 150K. I have tried to search and read about some of the high mileage cars but I couldn't find an answer. I understand that the suspension and brakes should be looked at, along with any vibration or shudder issues while accelerating or some of the other weird Model S/X issues.

My question would be if there's two late 2016/early 2017 model s that are similarly equipped in terms of AP2, FSD/EAP, interior, MCU2, etc.. but the only difference would be the 90D had 150K miles (260 at 100%) while the 75D has about 80K, which one would you purchase? I had moved so I supercharge more often than my last place so I would be using the supercharger more so that's why I am looking at those years.

Thanks for the help

I have a 2016 90D with over 155,000 miles. I show about 270 miles at 90%. I am familiar with the car as I have owned it since new and have always had a bias for the 2016 model year. Of course, it's not the same car now, 7 years later; it has become a better version of itself. I also stopped updating software at v10 as I thought the v11 interface ruined my MY. I knew I would be driving long distances and went with the larger battery since there were fewer superchargers at the time. I think I would still rather have a larger battery unless your needs are just for an around the town kind of car.

If you live in the Bay Area and plan to visit Tahoe, then the 90D will get you up the mountain. The 75D in winter may not get you up with much battery to spare. I run a 2015 85D with little degradation and when throwing on chains sometimes need 80%+ to get up with 20% on arrival (30% shown when starting the trip)

Also, good luck finding cars with FUSC and AP2. Those cars are unicorns and will demand a premium compared to a pre-facelift MS or post-facelift without FUSC. Otherwise, you'll pay 10k-15k more typically for a car with the free supercharging and AP2

If you live in the Bay Area and plan to visit Tahoe, then the 90D will get you up the mountain. The 75D in winter may not get you up with much battery to spare. I run a 2015 85D with little degradation and when throwing on chains sometimes need 80%+ to get up with 20% on arrival (30% shown when starting the trip)

Also, good luck finding cars with FUSC and AP2. Those cars are unicorns and will demand a premium compared to a pre-facelift MS or post-facelift without FUSC. Otherwise, you'll pay 10k-15k more typically for a car with the free supercharging and AP2
is that with charging before the mountain or making it 1 straight shot from san francisco?
i feel like on my 85d it would have been next to impossible to make it to tahoe in a straight shot

that's just from Auburn to Truckee

From SF to Auburn takes most of your charge already
ok i figured as much, ive been tempted to try it with my new battery replacement starting from home at 100% but theres still snow, the navigation says i should make it all the way to reno now, but id have to do it in reality. the 90kw pack has an extra 50 miles over the old 85 pack.. for now anyways who knows where it will be in a few years.
id also be starting from livermore