Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2017 Model S 100D, HW3/MCU2 $61,900

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am selling my October 2017 Model S to replace with an X due to family needs. This is my 3rd Model S and has been treated with all the care that one would expect from a crazy Tesla fanboy. MCU2/HW3 upgrade of 2.5 original hardware, told by Tesla the free supercharging "goes with the title" (seems to be some confusion about this, that is what they repeatedly told me). No accidents, some curb rash on wheels, otherwise pristine. Always garaged, supercharged less than 12 times (plug in at home and at work), 3 mile commute to office so very low miles of 24,500. Located in Santa Monica, CA.
$61,900. PM with inquiries. Full ad link is here:
Autotrader - page unavailable

IMG_0611.jpg
IMG_0612.jpg
IMG_0621.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0623.jpg
IMG_0631.jpg

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Autotrader for some reason defaults to 210 and has no option to change. As text from me in ad notes, it charges over 300. I haven’t range charged in a long time so I don’t know upper limit but I have seen no noticeable degradation. It is a 100D. Not the Performance model.

• Informative
I've seen some comments here suggesting charging is not transferable to a new owner. I asked the sales person who helped me with ordering the new vehicle at the store - though with the desire to transfer it to the new car, of course, as was the case with my prior purchases. He said it "stays with the title." I asked to elevate the issue (again, out of a desire to have the charging transfer to my new vehicle), and spoke with a person identified as the manager, who told me the same. Not sure where to go from there, but I have informed every inquiring buyer of the same and suggest they do their own investigation and make their own determination and act accordingly.

• Helpful
The car had to be ordered by 1/15/17 and delivered by 4/15/17 to qualify for the original version of FUSC which transferred free-of-charge to subsequent owners without any additional steps. Anything after that date came with nothing but would eventually get the newer version which wasn't FUSC as we knew it in the important difference: it was for that owner only and did NOT transfer to subsequent owners.

Tesla Tweet on 1/1/17: "Because of high demand and to give an opportunity to those customers who could not order over the holidays, we are extending it so customers can place an order for a Model S or X until January 15th, 2017 and take delivery by April 15, 2017 to receive free unlimited Supercharging."

That version transferred with the VIN but after that date it did not unless you bought a used Model S later on in which case some cars that didn't fall into that original window had it added as a promotion to help sell used cars. Then, they not only stopped doing that but even started taking it away from cars that had true FUSC that came in on trade. Pretty shady IMHO.

In summary, if you are the original owner of the car that you bought in October of 2017 you got the newer (at the time) version of free supercharging which applied only to you as the owner of that car. Upon selling or trading it the next owner will NOT get that function as this version didn't follow the VIN the way that the previous FUSC did.

If you talked to someone it doesn't really matter unless you got it in writing. Tesla is NOTORIOUS for saying one thing and then going back on their word later and if you didn't get it in writing... tough. I've had this happen to me personally on numerous occasions now on various topics and it's become painfully apparent that Tesla leans heavily into the "undertrained" employee tactic to weasel out of obligations.

Honestly, if I were you, I wouldn't market it as having FUSC because you will be on the hook for that when it gets removed for the next buyer. If you have something in writing from Tesla that they/you can use to get it when they remove it that's one thing but are you willing to risk being on the hook for the next owner's Supercharging bills for as long as they own the car?

Side note: Premium Data for Life is another feature that mirrors FUSC in terms of deadlines, dates & transferability.

The free supercharging I have is from my original purchase of a Model S, VIN #701 or so (if I recall correctly) 10 years ago, transferred from that to next and then to this S. Or at least as I understand it. This S was purchased in August or September and built and delivered in October 2017. Not sure if that impacts the convoluted Tesla analysis, but I certainly agree it is challenging to get clarity from them and policy consistency/communication is not their strongest suit.

• Informative
The free supercharging I have is from my original purchase of a Model S, VIN #701 or so (if I recall correctly) 10 years ago, transferred from that to next and then to this S. Or at least as I understand it. This S was purchased in August or September and built and delivered in October 2017. Not sure if that impacts the convoluted Tesla analysis, but I certainly agree it is challenging to get clarity from them and policy consistency/communication is not their strongest suit.

The original version of FUSC (Free Unlimited Super Charging for Life) was for the life of the car. It transferred with the VIN to the next owner w/o anything needing to be done. When you sold that you also sold FUSC with the car since it came with that car and stayed with that car since the charging status is assigned to a car's VIN and not the owner. All of the dates I mentioned in the previous post would apply to this specific car you're selling and the past car you owned that had FUSC wouldn't affect that.

. No regular 100D had transferable supercharging.
Are you or anyone 100% sure on this ?
I haven't heard of one yet and according to dates and deadlines, they shouldn't exist.

I think that is because the 100D didn’t get released until Mid Jan 2017 when transferable SC had gone away.
Exactly. We took delivery of an S90D in December 2016 that had transferable FUSC. At the time, the only 100 kWh battery available was the P100D which did have transferable FUSC.

We then ordered another S90D by the 12/31/16 deadline so that it would have transferable FUSC. The 100D was announced shortly after the 1/15/17 deadline for transferable FUSC orders. We changed the S90D order to be an S100D without any FUSC. It was not possible to get a non-performance S with both the 100 kWh battery and FUSC. We took delivery of the S100D in March and it didn't have any free Supercharging. Basically Tesla said that FUSC was gone for good which is why they'd given the 12/31/16 deadline and then extended it to 1/15/17.

Tesla then brought back free non-transferable Supercharging around May 2017. They retroactively gave non-transferable FUSC to those cars that had already been delivered without any FUSC. Any cars delivered later in 2017 had FUSC that was not transferable unless the car had been ordered before 1/15. Since the S100D wasn't available for order until after the deadline, none of them came with transferable FUSC.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Robotpedlr
So is the FUSC that this car probably doesn't have account for why a a 3yo car is priced only $7500 less than a vastly updated new car?
I don't understand all the hullabaloo around FUSC that comes up every time someone tries to sell. Doesn't CA have low off peak rates and programs? Here in MA it .27kwh 24/7/365 and my FUSC over 30k miles has saved maybe $200.

• Love