Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2017 Tesla Model S not upgraded with Theater Mode

sambwani

Oct 13, 2019
Pleasanton, CA
I upgraded my Tesla Model S, manufactured in Sept 2017 to 10 and some of the features are not working.
The browser does not appear to work.
In addition I did not get any video steaming functionality. There is no Netflix, etc. No option.
Karaoke doesn't work either.

Is this the experience others have as well? It this normal?

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
I'm pretty sure it's normal for your car (and my car) and for any S built before early 2018. Your car (and mine) have the old touchscreen and associated computer chip which does not work with some of the new features. There has been talk of being able to upgrade to the new touchscreen but nothing yet.

THXULTRA

Oct 4, 2017
Chicago
Gonna take a wild stab at this...it’s never happening. ;)
I agree with you. Tesla has enough trouble keeping up with repairs I don't see this happening. Kind of sucks that a a 2 year old car that was sold as getting these great updates isn't supported even as long as a cell phone. Even if they do a upgrade it is going to be costly.

kosarfan

Nov 29, 2016
Carmel, IN
I understand the frustration....but also understand that when I bought my model S in Jan 2017 I wasn’t anticipating receiving a Netflix streaming option or cool video games so I can’t be too upset.

I am starting to get some FSD options which is cool and the Autopilot is light years better than what it was when I bought the car.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
I understand the frustration....but also understand that when I bought my model S in Jan 2017 I wasn’t anticipating receiving a Netflix streaming option or cool video games so I can’t be too upset.

I am starting to get some FSD options which is cool and the Autopilot is light years better than what it was when I bought the car.

Pretty sure elon was tweeting about netflix and video coming in v10 while mcu1 cars were still being pushed out in February 18

Cal1

Sep 22, 2013
Battle Ground WA
I wish they wouldn't proclaim all these new features and not explain production cutoffs. They make it should like everyone with a car will get Netflix etc. Very misleading, wrong. Oh yea I'm a Sept 2017 build with FSD but don't get Netflix unless I pay for a new cpu. I don't expect it for free they just should be clear on who gets what.

Reactions: Antfugue

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
While I'm disappointed the video streaming isn't supported on our 2017 S 100D (it is on our 2018 X 100D), even if they offered an MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, we probably wouldn't take it.

Starting with our 2012 S P85, I've periodically watched videos during long supercharging sessions. Since cell/internet isn't available at all supercharger locations (at least not until Tesla adds local WiFi support), if I plan to watch videos, I'll download them to a tablet - and then play the video on the tablet with the audio streamed to the car's sound system - and that works well, except for the need to use a video player with the ability to adjust the audio delay - since BT audio adds a small delay compared to the video.

So there's an alternative to having streaming video built-in - and much cheaper than whatever Tesla would likely charge for an MCU2 upgrade.

However, Tesla should still provide an MCU2 upgrade, since some owners may plan to keep their MCU1 vehicles for a long time, and could benefit from the newer features.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC