Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late 2021 Model Y factory 19" wheels will be "Darker" + More "info" from dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know what the gemini's would look like in dark grey but I went with dark grey for my aftermarket wheels. I think it looks pretty good. The factory 18" on the Model 3 are all dark grey and they look pretty good on all the Tesla colors.
Are those TSportline? I was looking at those for when I get mine but I think I might go for the Replika R241s instead.

These aren't actually painted, but I found two photos of unmodified "Gemini"/Apollo wheels from eBay listings taken under dramatically different lighting conditions... so much so that the one photo actually looks gunmetal grey. I thought they were powdercoated at first, but the listing description says otherwise. But even so, side-by-side, this gives a pretty good idea how they would look. 👍

View attachment 706440

That looks like the lighting and camera exposure (and maybe some Photoshop work) that's making the Gemini wheels look that dark. Depending on the lighting used, it's not difficult to make wheels darker like that in pictures.

Until I see an actual difference in color on the Gemini wheels from other sources, or at least some good side by side pictures of the different color wheels in the same picture, I'm taking the SA's word with a grain of salt that there will be darker Gemini wheels. I hope there are, but until I see it I'm not going to believe it.

What's the rumor on headlights?
Theoretically all models are changing to the matrix headlights. The Performance already has, but the Long Range hasn't yet.
Whether they are an upgrade or not is debated - the real reason for having them (adaptive projected beam shape) apparently isn't yet legal in the USA, so they are functioning just as standard on/off headlights at the moment.

Someone posted about the new wheels a few months ago: New rims? Well, covers.
It's possible that the above is an employee vehicle, as it also has the mudflaps and roof racks. E.g. the employee got to test out a few variations early.
We don’t even know the owner of that Y. Definitely not a loaner vehicle with roof storage. No proof that’s a Tesla employee. My covers look like that after I put plastidip on them.

Attachments

• 2FA7A4F9-D7C5-4D2D-9613-D88AA39A0704.jpeg
    2FA7A4F9-D7C5-4D2D-9613-D88AA39A0704.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 1FA59CC6-F3C3-4D1B-BBD4-E6C823D97B2B.jpeg
    1FA59CC6-F3C3-4D1B-BBD4-E6C823D97B2B.jpeg
    717 KB · Views: 71
  • A4A425DE-FF9E-4E60-8D03-C35CBBB93DE4.jpeg
    A4A425DE-FF9E-4E60-8D03-C35CBBB93DE4.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@thestreets i actually just saw another person on FB report the same thing re: darker Gemini/Apollo wheels coming soon. I always take what Tesla advisors say with a grain of salt but again it would make sense for them to make this change seeing as how many people have been powdercoating/plastidipping the wheels to match the dark trim.
1631087302683.jpeg

Seeing as how many people are powdercoating the gemini wheels black, I would hope Tesla changes the bright silver color to a darker color to match the trim. I never understood their decision to go with bright silver for the gemini aero covers and wheels since they got rid of the chrome trim. They have updated the tempest aero covers for the 19" wheels on the MS to have darker accents instead of the bright silver so it would make sense for them to do the same on for the MY. However, most new features have been rolled out in China first before making it to NA models and I haven't seen any updates to the wheels on the MY there.

The added trim on the door cards rolled out in China around March and made it to the NA Model 3's a few months ago so I assume it is going to finally come to Model Y soon.

For ref: Updated Tempest wheel covers with updated dark accents compared to bright silver View attachment 704585View attachment 704587
What's hard to understand? Some people like them dark, some people like them bright. It's good to have a choice. Thanks for the pictures showing both.

@thestreets i actually just saw another person on FB report the same thing re: darker Gemini/Apollo wheels coming soon. I always take what Tesla advisors say with a grain of salt but again it would make sense for them to make this change seeing as how many people have been powdercoating/plastidipping the wheels to match the dark trim.

I'm pretty sure that's the OP from this thread.

It's been discussed on here that 99% of whatever the SA's say is complete nonsense. They'll tell you your car is being built now and you'll have a vin in 2 days, and 2 months later you have nothing, all kinds of rumors about other features like headlights that aren't true. Until you see a picture of a car with whatever is being discussed it's not happening. The door panels will definitely happen at some point as M3 and MY from China is on the new panel. Same how the US got bioweapon after it debuted on the MIC MY. As for wheels, they are probably getting that from the fact the M3 went to darker wheels during it's "refresh" but there have been no pictures or anything from anyone suggesting that is coming. What throws even more doubt on the claim is the fact he only said darker wheels under the caps. There's a ring of the wheel that's still visible after you take the covers off so if they made the wheel itself darker they'd have to make the covers darker as well to blend in (like they did on the M3). Could it happen? Sure, but it's more likely that it's not.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
What's hard to understand? Some people like them dark, some people like them bright. It's good to have a choice. Thanks for the pictures showing both.
Yea, I totally get that. I just expected the default (free) wheel option to match the trim color since I think that most people would prefer it (IMO).

With the change from Chrome to (Satin/Gloss) Black trim on all of their vehicles, I expected Tesla to give us a darker wheel option by default for the MY. Tesla has introduced darker Tempest wheels/aero covers and I think it's plausible that they'll do the same for the Gemini wheels/covers too.
I'm pretty sure that's the OP from this thread.

It's been discussed on here that 99% of whatever the SA's say is complete nonsense. They'll tell you your car is being built now and you'll have a vin in 2 days, and 2 months later you have nothing, all kinds of rumors about other features like headlights that aren't true. Until you see a picture of a car with whatever is being discussed it's not happening. The door panels will definitely happen at some point as M3 and MY from China is on the new panel. Same how the US got bioweapon after it debuted on the MIC MY. As for wheels, they are probably getting that from the fact the M3 went to darker wheels during it's "refresh" but there have been no pictures or anything from anyone suggesting that is coming. What throws even more doubt on the claim is the fact he only said darker wheels under the caps. There's a ring of the wheel that's still visible after you take the covers off so if they made the wheel itself darker they'd have to make the covers darker as well to blend in (like they did on the M3). Could it happen? Sure, but it's more likely that it's not.
Yea, I was wondering if it was OP as well.

I have said the same thing re: generally not believing SA's (big grain of salt with anything they say) since members on this forum almost always know more than them. Also, I said the same thing re: changes first being introduced in MIC and that I hadn't seen any reports of darker wheels or covers there.

I still hope they introduce darker Gemini wheels since I'll be dipping/powdercoating them immediately if not.