Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Made in China M3LR, third quarter 2021...and I live in the South of France..the air con seems to work fine...it blows in our face (in fact we usually have it so that it blows over our head because it’s too cold on the face)...
But the Tesla service man is coming tomorrow to ‘fix’ it...I made an appointment because a small part fell out of my wing mirror... and Tesla said they will fix the heat pump...I will see what happens tomorrow
Your 3rd quarter car was before the heat pump? I believe it is 4th quarter they started using heat pumps. December 2021/january 22.

My heat pump model cannot blow air over my head like older models can. Only my face and lower. So it fits pre heat pump cars are unaffected and have normal operation of air flow. (ie, not on legs)

Your 3rd quarter car was before the heat pump? I believe it is 4th quarter they started using heat pumps. December 2021/january 22.

My heat pump model cannot blow air over my head like older models can. Only my face and lower. So it fits pre heat pump cars are unaffected and have normal operation of air flow. (ie, not on legs)
It does have a heat pump...2022.16.1 gives that information...but as far as I can tell it works perfectly, I use it all the time, especially during the recent heatwave...but someone is coming this afternoon to ‘fix’ it

So, right on time the Tesla man showed up...in a magnificent P85D..(so glad he didn’t come in a Transit van😜)...all they did for the heat pump was beef up the insulation of the top hose..and put a plastic cover over the large electrical connector of the harness just below...apparently the condensation can cause problems. Nothing to do with the direction of airflow from the air con..my mistake

Hi all, I am having the same issue. 2022 model 3 just delivered last week. Shanghai built. I am unable to get the fan directed to "above neck" levels. Booked and appointment to check it out at the service center tomorrow.
In our climate it will be totally unbearable if the air is only blowing down.... the head area will be like sauna.....

Reactions: DasHHat and Bouba
Hi all, I am having the same issue. 2022 model 3 just delivered last week. Shanghai built. I am unable to get the fan directed to "above neck" levels. Booked and appointment to check it out at the service center tomorrow.
In our climate it will be totally unbearable if the air is only blowing down.... the head area will be like sauna.....
This is both good and bad news.

The bad news is, they're still making cars that are made incorrectly.
The good news is that there will be a LOT of these issues coming as we move into the hottest months. Hopefully this will result in a software fix or a recall.

I can now hear my air con going up and down in speed desperately trying to fluctuate the airflow so it doesn't blow on the legs as much and it's nowhere near as cold as it used to be.
But this isn't much of a fix.

I've noticed this on mine as well. Had already booked it in when I found this thread. I found it fine before they implemented this 'fix', now it's pathetic. I also get a lot of clicking behind the dashboard when the air-con is attempting to work.

Could it be related to this: Tesla recalls Model 3 in Israel due to air conditioner fault
This sounds like the work I had done last week. The technician put a bit of tape on the top hose of the heat pump, and a plastic cover on an electrical connection below...just a quick job. Apparently condensation from the outside of the pipe can drip down onto the electric harness just below. I hadn’t experienced any problems, in fact I had booked the home visit for another small job, so it was preventative

It takes longer for the AC to blow cool air in my two week old M3P, than it did in my 2019 M3P. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the addition of the heat pump.
When I first got my M3P last June the air-con blew cold immediately, now it doesn't blow cold at all. I'm convinced they've nobbled it in software. My car is going in on Thursday so maybe I'll know more then.

I'm on 2022.12.3.16

When I first got my M3P last June the air-con blew cold immediately, now it doesn't blow cold at all. I'm convinced they've nobbled it in software. My car is going in on Thursday so maybe I'll know more then.

I'm on 2022.12.3.16
Interesting. Please report back. My car blows warm air for 30-60 seconds, even when parked in the garage.

I just got my first update yesterday - 2022.16.3. I think you just reversed the last two numbers.

It takes longer for the AC to blow cool air in my two week old M3P, than it did in my 2019 M3P. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the addition of the heat pump.
@MitchSF I've been noticing the same thing with my October 2021 M3P lately. Kind of like ICE cars with belt-driven A/C that really need to be in gear driving to blow properly cold, idle speed isn't enough. Of course that's not the issue in a Tesla, just the symptom is similar.

Ultimately it does get plenty cold and cools the cabin very effectively.

I'm really not sure if mine ever behaved differently, since we got the car in the fall and I haven't been sensitive to its cabin cooling performance until recently.

We never had an older Model 3 but we do have an old S, which is quicker to start blowing fully cold air when needed.

However our heat pump 3 has much better and more effective climate control overall. A/C in the 3 ultimately blows colder when needed than the S ever does. And for cabin heating the 3's heat pump absolutely blows away the old S's resistive heating in terms of efficiency and efficacy. Our 3 has better automatic temperature control too, it does a great of keeping the feeling of a consistent temperature, whereas our S - and the one ICE car with auto climate I've owned - settles into a situation where I feel like I want to keep increasing the set temperature. (I suppose vent placement/angles might play a big part in this.)

To my knowledge, all Tesla vehicles sold in the US are made in the US. Most notably Fremont CA, which holds the prestigious award for building complete and total garbage 99% of the time.😔
I consider myself lucky then. Coming up on my 1 year anniversary and my Freemont made, M3 has been perfect. Not a single problem so far (knock on wood). I know a lot of people haven't been as fortunate.

Reactions: DocHolliday
I consider myself lucky then. Coming up on my 1 year anniversary and my Freemont made, M3 has been perfect. Not a single problem so far (knock on wood). I know a lot of people haven't been as fortunate.
I know first hand there are many Tesla owners with great cars exhibiting no issues, Sadly I'm not one of them. Had a lemon 2021 M3P and so far we have rejected two 2022 M3P's and awaiting the third and final to show up for inspection. Hoping its acceptable or we'll have to permanently move on and consider whats next.

Reactions: LBM4
Interesting. Please report back. My car blows warm air for 30-60 seconds, even when parked in the garage.

I just got my first update yesterday - 2022.16.3. I think you just reversed the last two numbers.
So I just got off the phone to Tesla Service MK. My aircon did actually start blowing cold before I took it in for service, just after I got the 2022.16.3 firmware but it's currently not able to blow above chest hight so I get a hot head!

Tesla Service said that there were no faults or errors on my car but he could indeed replicate the problem of it not blowing high enough. He is pretty certain that this is Tesla HQ messing with the HVAC system in firmware but he's going to see if there are any advisories or engineering notes related to it. He said that there might have been complaints about it blowing on people's faces but that may just be speculation, for me, that's exactly where I want it to blow so please Tesla, unfix your fix!!

Reactions: MitchSF