Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i find i have this issue, it kinda hits my chin rather than face, and at max can't get it up any higher, any definitive solutions, sounds like this went quiet for a couple of months? (mines a new october built MIC MY SR)

Passenger's side seems ok.

Just looking into how the AC works, i find that the gap in the driver's side horizontal a hair narrower than the passenger's side, so i'm wondering if the panel clips hasn't been clipped in properly.

I do find in fresh vs recirc to be 1 touch better than recirc.

Just received my 2022 M3 on 10jan23 in Sydney from China. Was surprised at the internal ac fan speed noise … on the high/noisy side on any setting over 3. Is this just me or a general issue?
I will pay attention to cooling behaviour over next 7 days.
@Lifecycled Is there any unusual aspect to the fan noise? Like whistling or fluttering or vibration or squealing? Or does it sound like normal air blowing, simply louder than you expect?

To me the HVAC fan is pretty unobtrusive on this car. Except when turned way up of course but that's the same in any car. Maybe something is not quite right with yours.

My Model 3 is an October 2021 Fremont build, with the heat pump.

I previously had a Fremont built SR+ the aircon was great. Just took delivery of 2022 build MIC model 3 in Sydney. I’ve only driven it twice but felt the aircon wasn’t as good as I was use to. I could get my last car COLD and this feels like its blowing ambient air and the angle was always lower. Now that it appears this is an issue I’ll do more testing and a service request if needed. Thanks for this thread!

Hearing fluttering sound in front of car dashboard or AC like something is stuck, maybe a leaf or factory sticker or fly. Car is still under factory warranty, just a few months old but driven for 4500 miles.I have purchased an extended warranty too.

Now there was rattling sound in prior service which wasn’t fixed, I didn’t bring it up after service because I thought Tesla’s Quality Control is poor and I can live with it.

Now I can’t bear the fluttering sound, so I created a service request and also mentioned that the rattle wasn’t fixed in prior service.

They are charging $172 per item of service if it isn’t covered by warranty. So a total of $344 for a brand new car… let’s say they say you have to live with these sounds and not covered by warranty, then not only should I put up with a cosmetically faulty brand new car under warranty, but also pay them $344. Is this even legal?

I finally got fed up of not being able to get any air to my face and went in for service again today. This time they found that there was a bit of foam insulation missing from inside the dash so the air was mostly just going back behind there instead of out of the vent. Insulation fitted and now I can finally direct airflow wherever I want! Only took 2 years...

If you have a 2021 mic that won't blow air above neck height then I would strongly suggest getting your service centre to look at this before warranty runs out!

Hearing fluttering sound in front of car dashboard or AC like something is stuck, maybe a leaf or factory sticker or fly. Car is still under factory warranty, just a few months old but driven for 4500 miles.I have purchased an extended warranty too.

Now there was rattling sound in prior service which wasn’t fixed, I didn’t bring it up after service because I thought Tesla’s Quality Control is poor and I can live with it.

Now I can’t bear the fluttering sound, so I created a service request and also mentioned that the rattle wasn’t fixed in prior service.

They are charging $172 per item of service if it isn’t covered by warranty. So a total of $344 for a brand new car… let’s say they say you have to live with these sounds and not covered by warranty, then not only should I put up with a cosmetically faulty brand new car under warranty, but also pay them $344. Is this even legal?
Don’t suppose you bought this part and installed it? If not, I suggest doing so. You can get them on Amazon or AliExpress for a few bucks. Prevent leaves and debris from getting down into where the motor assembly is for the AC, causing those sounds you describe

Link: Air intake vent cover

IMG_0047.jpeg

I finally got fed up of not being able to get any air to my face and went in for service again today. This time they found that there was a bit of foam insulation missing from inside the dash so the air was mostly just going back behind there instead of out of the vent. Insulation fitted and now I can finally direct airflow wherever I want! Only took 2 years...

If you have a 2021 mic that won't blow air above neck height then I would strongly suggest getting your service centre to look at this before warranty runs out!
There is some hope then!

Do you have any details on where the missing insulation is? Does the invoice (in the app) give a part number of what was needed?

Thanks in advance!

Just for info this problem is also found on my model y. I too suspected the vertical 'bleed' was weak. The air just follows the curvature of dash to my knees. If you don't want the air blowing on your face you can also split the air flow on dash by using 2 fingers moving apart. I have also noticed on my car that having the air direction indicated to be slightly towards drivers door makes it blow towards my face.

It seems more and more like there was an issue for just a few months from the china factory perhaps. Mine is was delivered June 21. It doesn't matter what settings I set on the screen, the air never goes above my neck height, the passenger side does seem to be fine though. Tesla service said they could replicate the issue but found no faults on my car and speculated that it was a software issue!

Hi Chris - came to this post thanks you your comment on my post. My car is a M3LR MIC received Aug 2022 - so a fair bit after yours... pretty sure it's the same issue. I have also noticed that in the last few months the car was taking considerably longer to blow cold air. I thought it could have been cold air being redirected to the battery system.. beofre I read this thread

So now my question..! which SC did you take it to?
This is from yesterday's Park Royal .. had to take it for something else and took the opportunity to ask for this
1692961785110.png

I was similarly treated today at Winchester (bit unfair, tech spent ages with me in various new models 3s & Ys all had similarly poor air flow and the gap on d/side consistently smaller than p/side). What does it take to get a fault recognised. This thread alone shows similar concerns have been reported.

so is it worth booking in MK and mentioning they've had this issue before?
I'm afraid your guess is as good as mine. I'm sure if you got the same tech assigned they would remember though. If enough of these get fixed then maybe it'll go into their system so that other techs can see the fix. It's a shame there was no part number or anything mentioned on my invoice really!