Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late delivery of base Model 3 (out of Market Action)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And yet it's a $78k car, which is still in the price range since 2012. I don't give a *sugar* about the p version. Where is the 35k version for the media that they promoted in 2016? They didn't promote a p version of a smaller S.

Taking out the tax rebate and monthly gasoline savings, this fully loaded performance Model 3 has a true cost of about $60k. You can spend $120k but won't find a gasoline car that can match this package. This is quite an achievement, though it is true that most people can't afford it.

The $49k long range Model 3 with premium interior has a true cost of $32k, which is quite affordable considering average U.S. vehicle price is $35k. This car itself is amazing too, way better than I expected.

The base Model 3 will take care of the remaining market. If not because shorts trying so hard to kill Tesla, the base model would have already been produced, that's my guess. Hopefully it will be available in 6 months.

What could have been Needham's sources for their “checks’? Apparently not Tesla.

The last try they used this same argument, it was based on some obscure company that was processing the Credit Card refunds for Tesla. Tesla told them at that time that their facts were erroneous, but here it comes again.

And yet it's a $78k car, which is still in the price range since 2012. I don't give a *sugar* about the p version. Where is the 35k version for the media that they promoted in 2016? They didn't promote a p version of a smaller S.

I know, me too, but I've just had to make peace with the fact that my AWD SR without the glass roof and premium interior will probably be the LAST version they make.
But, the way I look at this latest news is: every car/manufacturer needs a halo car, and the Model 3 Performance DEFINITELY qualifies! :) This is the car that is going to have everyone talking for a long time to come.

JRP3
WarpedOne
Nathan
donauker
Compton
wipster
Nakata
Esme Es Mejor

You guys disagree with me, but it's a bait and switch. Sorry. They promoted one thing two years and are now promoting something different.

The whole point of the model 3 is a cheaper version from the company. NOT a smaller version of the AWD, P, or White seats they already have in the S and X.

tesla-motors-10-638.jpg

JRP3
WarpedOne
Nathan
donauker
Compton
wipster
Nakata
Esme Es Mejor

You guys disagree with me, but it's a bait and switch. Sorry. They promoted one thing two years and are now promoting something different.

The whole point of the model 3 is a cheaper version from the company. NOT a smaller version of the AWD, P, or White seats they already have in the S and X.

tesla-motors-10-638.jpg

i know it sucks, but it’s necessary for survival.
you go on this rant every other week.

do you want tesla to overcome the overpowering forces that are against it?

or do you want you car right now, and then they basically go bankrupt bc they’d be cutoff from capital?

which do you want?
there’s only two choices.

if you put resv in on 3/31/16 then you’re waiting 2 years 9 months by the time you get your base model. it’s already 2 yrs 4 months.

is a handful more months killing you so much that you’re accusing them of fraudulent sale tactics?
cmon man.

it sucks, but it’s becessary.

i know it sucks, but it’s necessary for survival.
you go on this rant every other week.

do you want tesla to overcome the overpowering forces that are against it?

or do you want you car right now, and then they basically go bankrupt bc they’d be cutoff from capital?

which do you want?
there’s only two choices.

if you put resv in on 3/31/16 then you’re waiting 2 years 9 months by the time you get your base model. it’s already 2 yrs 4 months.

is a handful more months killing you so much that you’re accusing them of fraudulent sale tactics?
cmon man.

it sucks, but it’s becessary.
I just feel and see a disconnect from what is going on....the company is now pushing the highest priced M3 to the media instead of the base car. Are they letting the media take spins in the base car? Nope, it's nowhere to be seen. It's like this weird mirage where right now you can see the SR version in pictures, but when you get up close in real life it's nonexistent.

Reactions: mmd
I just feel and see a disconnect from what is going on....the company is now pushing the highest priced M3 to the media instead of the base car. Are they letting the media take spins in the base car? Nope, it's nowhere to be seen. It's like this weird mirage where right now you can see the SR version in pictures, but when you get up close in real life it's nonexistent.

the media, and the reality, are two different things. they have to pander to media when necessary to push the available versions. the media also spins that as negative to spread fud to base waiters,

just have to persevere and be patient

We’re all sorry you’ve chosen to wait, but there’s been no bait & switch.

On the contrary it's a classic bait & switch.

The intention of the bait-and-switch is to encourage purchases of substituted goods, making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered, as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all, and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait. It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product with a higher margin.

Let's examine that step for step.

The intention of the bait-and-switch Intentions are always tricky to examine. Unless someone is open about their intentions, we must deduce them from actions and possible motives. So we must necessarily judge the following by the actions and motives of Tesla.

to encourage purchases of substituted goods judging by the actions like calling reservations holders inviting them to buy a more expensive Model S and/or asking why they haven't ordered an expensive 3 yet, that speaks to encouraging people to buy those goods which are indeed a substitute to the $35k Model S. With respect to the motives, Tesla has a clear motive to do so. In fact, it even communicated that motive. Doing otherwise would sink the company according to Elon.

making consumers satisfied with the available stock offered Tesla indeed offers different stock. Going from inventory Model S to Model 3s deliverable on shorted notice

as an alternative to a disappointment or inconvenience of acquiring no goods (or bait) at all There is no dispute that many reservations holders are disappointed that they were not yet able to buy a Model 3 for $35k. Inconvenience is a bit trickier, but the stories about people with leases that end soonish are certainly there.

and reckoning on a seemingly partial recovery of sunk costs expended trying to obtain the bait This is perhaps the part of the definition that is least likely to apply. Nevertheless, there is both technically and practically a cost associated with being a reservation holder. The opportunity cost of losing access to $1000 is the technical cost and the practical cost is the time spend standing in line, reading about the car, etc... Perhaps it's not a great cost but that just speaks to how well the bait&switch is executed.

It suggests that the seller will not show the original product or service advertised The $35k Model 3 has not been shown to customers and it was indeed advertised during the reveal

but instead will demonstrate a more expensive product or a similar product Tesla has indeed demonstrated the more expensive, similar products

with a higher margin And Tesla does not hide the fact that those are higher margin

All in all : it's classic bait&switch. The only question open for debate is : was it justified. Given the difficult financial position that the company is in, and the fact that the bait&switch is only temporary, I find it still very justified. As financials improve and/or the 35k version is not available for a longer time, the justification will slowly erode away.

(Note : some jurisdictions make sales tactics along the lines above illegal, they may even have legal definitions that may be slightly different from the above. But I wasn't talking about those, I was talking about the tactic and consumer impact more than making a legal argument)

I'm forgetting it. But did Elon say that the SR model 3 will be sold after Tesla reaches a sustainable 10000 model 3 a week?

If so, I think I can write off the SR model already. Other than few staunch supporters like @ggies07, people will find plenty of options for that range to move on. Then, Tesla will give the same excuse of "not enough demand" and cancel it after producing a few token copies.

As investors, did they promote at p version of the 3 in 2016 or not?no, they promoted at 35k version.... I wouldn't be complaining if they had....
They said the base model would start at 35k, they didn't say it would be available first, and they've never offered the base model of any product first. Simply put you were either uninformed or unrealistic.

The $49k long range Model 3 with premium interior has a true cost of $32k, which is quite affordable considering average U.S. vehicle price is $35k. This car itself is amazing too, way better than I expected.
Not by my calculations. If you want a black on black car, then you can start at $49k. Minus the state and federal incentives gets you down to $39k. Of course, then there's taxes and various fees that will immediately push it well north of $40k again. And the "gas savings"? They would pay me back the costs of installing the 14/50 outlet in the garage in a little over two years. They do virtually nothing to offset the costs of owning and operating a new Model 3.
Now, if you're used to driving a Hummer 25,000 miles a year, then maybe those gas savings are meaningful. But in my household, they don't add up, and tor Tesla to include them in the configuration process is a self-serving mistake.
Robin

Not by my calculations. If you want a black on black car, then you can start at $49k. Minus the state and federal incentives gets you down to $39k. Of course, then there's taxes and various fees that will immediately push it well north of $40k again. And the "gas savings"? They would pay me back the costs of installing the 14/50 outlet in the garage in a little over two years. They do virtually nothing to offset the costs of owning and operating a new Model 3.
Now, if you're used to driving a Hummer 25,000 miles a year, then maybe those gas savings are meaningful. But in my household, they don't add up, and tor Tesla to include them in the configuration process is a self-serving mistake.
Robin

The assumptions are explained, but of course YMMV.

Either you don't drive much or that 14/50 is going to be very expensive to install (or both). Might I suggest a 6-20 instead? Uses cheap old 12 guage wire and still gets 15mph charging speed. That's what I just helped a buddy install in his car port. Should be fast enough for most folks.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Thank you MODs for moving this. I hate dragging out the Market action thread with comments on non-market action topics.

I think most have answered for me but I'll reiterate. The $35K M3 was never promise at any particular date so no bait and switch.

I remember helping the Tesla staff with the traffic and talking with people in line to get their reservations. All the people that were in the $35K price range were not misled about when they would get their car. Actually myself and every sales person mentioned to them that Tesla had never delivered the base version first. It was actually more accurate that Tesla did the high performance ones first. Some would come back with the, "BUT this is the affordable car. Surely they will get the cheaper cars out to the masses first." Everyone I heard answer that question answered, "They probably won't." I even mentioned that they have been late in delivering every debuted car promised so far.

The only people misled were the ones misleading themselves by not asking the question. If you had a date in your head about when you thought you would get the $35k version you probably should have ask a Tesla sales person or someone who has been thru the Tesla car early sales process. Don't blame Tesla because you assumed things. I don't even recall any on this forum promising $35ks first. I think most here were saying the opposite.

Quite opposite to your response there were a good number of the $35K seekers that were going to start saving for the base M3 that day so they could hopefully afford it with a large down payment in 2019 (yes the date before the unveil). Later talking with one after the date got pushed up left them concerned they would not have enough saved by 2017. Luckily for them there reservation is still held and put off 'til 2019 like they originally planned. I guess if they start delivering the $35k version in December of 2018 we will have to listen to the ones that did not manage to save enough before they were forced to order their car because the incentive was expiring.

The assumptions are explained, but of course YMMV.

Either you don't drive much or that 14/50 is going to be very expensive to install (or both). Might I suggest a 6-20 instead? Uses cheap old 12 guage wire and still gets 15mph charging speed. That's what I just helped a buddy install in his car port. Should be fast enough for most folks.
The 14/50 was $1260 installed (not counting swapping out the old Zinsco panel which had to go anyway), and the family fleet consists of two Prii (a Gen 1 and a Prius V) and one Triumph Roadster. About $110 in fuel per month for all three. Model 3 would shave a little in fuel, but net net would come close to even after accounting for increased electric bills.
Robin

Reactions: adaptabl
This is from July '17......things changed quickly. I see now AWD or P comparison. Less than a year ago they were still promoting the 35k version. I'm not complaining about the 35k version not being first, I'm complaining, and will continue to, about how they are executing this ramp up.

You all keep telling me to shut up because "6-9 months". I'm hopeful, but don't really believe it because I was pushed back:

from Jan-mar
to early Spring
to late '18
now 6-9 months (Dec-Mar)

hqdefault.jpg
u

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: immunogold