Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late entry level M3 (out of general)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If all of you automatically go to the "financial" story, then they weren't ready for a "Cheaper" version in 2016 and are still not.

I'm not some ****ing short, I've been around here for years almost every day. There were things that were communicated that are not happening. So I'm calling them out AND complaining. :)

I get that you're frustrated. The ramp that was supposed to take 6 months has taken a year and now it must be sustained indefinitely. We can't do anything about it. All of us would love it if Tesla was cranking out 10k cars a week, but it takes longer to learn how to mass manufacture cars. Some of us can't even afford a 3 yet, so imagine having to wait a year or two longer than you will have to ;) In the mean time I'm going to test drive the performance version in a few weeks...

I remember all that, it's how the are executing that I have a problem with. They fumble the beginning of the manufacturing, then bump back 3 times

Yes... they are only 18 months ahead of schedule, not the full two years. Did you honestly expect them to cut their remaining development and production planning/build-out schedule IN HALF and have no issues along the way?

then announce the P version, then announce test drives.

Again, not a surprise to those who were paying attention to what was being said, as well as the S & X rollouts. Higher margin vehicles are typically batched first...

Again, why is everyone glossing over the fact they are not going through the reservations first?

I don't think anybody is. Everybody realizes the company is doing what it can, as fast as it can, while fighting the shorts in a battle of epic proportions.

If you have a reservation for a specific model configuration, you will get your car ahead of those attempting to purchase that model configuration who don't.

I was an early S owner... people ordering P's got their cars ahead of me.... but I got mine earlier than people who reserved the same model after me.

New poster, long time lurker. From Melbourne, Australia. Patience is hard, I know - I put down $1500 (AUD), earlier than most people ... Amongst the first 50 in the world here, and I still won't get my car until late 2019 ...

Not happy about it, but understand the process ... I just sit here and read reviews and watch youtube videos :(. Still, Tesla must succeed ... More important than my own satisfaction!

Again, they weren't important for the S or X? come on man.....

If you have been around as you say, then you should remember all those who wondered when they would get their cars in 2013. I happened to stumble onto the model S when looking for an electric that would do the job for me and when I compared the specs of the P85 to the Corvette and the Cayman, the S won out on performance and all sorts of financials.

I put my deposit down at the end of 2012 and was told it would be nine months. I was good with that.
In January, I was told to configure and I was reluctant because I really wasn't ready to take it. But there were reasons why I went ahead, but first I drove to the showroom and got a quick test drive which convinced me. I also decided at that point to buy the stock.

In Mar I was told it was ready and while I wanted to wait, I also had gained enough information about the company to know that they needed the money desperately and the P85 was more profit at a time when they could use it. So while people who had deposits down a long time before me and were still waiting and whining, I was driving my car. You could argue that I didn't put in the wait time that everybody else did, but since when does money not move someone to the front of the line? I didn't even want to take the car yet, but I understood the reason for it.

As it turns out, Tesla paid me to buy the car the next month. In 2016 I traded it in with under 20K miles and bought a 75D and the stock went up again and once more I was paid to buy the car.

I have day one online reservations for the 3 - actually I had four, but that's another story. I didn't configure when given the opportunity earlier this year because I want AWD. When they opened configurations to all, I ordered a maxed out P3D and expect it will be delivered soon because Tesla is once again in need of the cash and this is how they get it.. I hardly drive anything and my vehicles have only a couple thousand miles on them, so I don't need it, but I am buying to support the company, have a little fun with a smaller performance vehicle, and hopefully to be paid handsomely for the support.

You refuse to acknowledge that this company is always looking for how to make ends meet most efficiently while still delivering the best product they can. If they deliver the lowest price version to everyone, then not everyone will get their orders filled because the company will die. If you can't wait, you will need to consider alternatives. If you can't afford to pay more, then you have to stand in the hoi polloi line like everyone in the same position. You will get your car same as those who ordered an S40 and wondered if they would ever get their car. Those that didn't upgrade to a 60 got a 60 anyway, even if they didn't get access to the full capacity unless they paid for it.

You'll get your car. But complaining sounds just like someone taking a trip with a five year old who keeps asking if you are there yet. You are frustrated, but there is probably no argument that will change your feelings until you get your car. And Tesla won't deliver the car until it is pumping out product with sufficient funds to keep the shorts at bay.

Tesla needs to make money? Now? Why not with the S or the X? I've been a shareholder since 2012, come on....

Next, I gave 1k to them for free basically then. **** that. That's a scheme. THEY are the ones who advertised the 35k version, nobody else. It's not that hard to understand either.
I won't say what I want, or you'd be insulted.
I placed $5k for my Model S and didn't get it until June of 2013, because I couldn't afford it when invited to configure in 2012. It was originally priced at $50k, but of course that was the base configuration. So I gave Tesla a $5000 interest free loan for nearly three and a half years. I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: dc_h
Again, why is everyone glossing over the fact they are not going through the reservations first?

are we absolutely sure that’s what’s going on?

isn’t today’s move just widening the sample size, deepening the queues, but maintaining thier focus on higher margin vehicles.

back of napkin;
say 450k orders
they delivered 50k but got 25k new so they’re around 425 now

first, what’s our best guess at the composition of the 425k?

i have absolutely no clue. but if it was something like;
P - 5000
AWD - 50,000
RD LR - 100,000
RD SR - 270,000

then regardless you wouldn’t get car until 2019.
if the RD LR was around 60k there’s a chance!

what is our best guess at the composition of the orders? has anyone spoken to this yet?
i may look like a fool with those numbers, but it’s worth thinking about.

If all of you automatically go to the "financial" story, then they weren't ready for a "Cheaper" version in 2016 and are still not.

I'm not some ****ing short, I've been around here for years almost every day. There were things that were communicated that are not happening. So I'm calling them out AND complaining. :)

Where IS the emoji for an angry, crying baby when you need one? So frustrating!!

I remember all that, it's how the are executing that I have a problem with. They fumble the beginning of the manufacturing, then bump back 3 times, then announce the P version, then announce test drives.

All the screw-ups cost money, so they need more money. I don't think anyone wants this situation, but it is what it is; and if you expect 'justice', you're being unrealistic. It's not like they're doing this just to make fat profits even fatter, it's a matter of survival...

Last edited:
Reactions: skitown and JRP3

Yes, they're not ready for cheaper version. Yes, they have guided for 35K with the forward looking statements, and then poorly executed on it. I'm not defending their track record, but I'm defending their choice in the existing situation.

But this is all kinda obvious. Not sure what you're complaining about? If you're following these forums, you'd know they screwed up pretty badly, and that their choices are limited. There were thousands of people loosing their job in a fight for Tesla survival, and you want them to prioritize your car?

Last edited:
Reactions: mekberg
If Tesla goes bankwupt, no one gets a car. Neither the P buyers nor the 35k buyers. Keep that in mind while you are waiting. Elon isn't making you wait because he thinks it's fun to troll you. He's making you wait because it's necessary for the company's survival.

Reactions: mekberg
New poster, long time lurker. From Melbourne, Australia. Patience is hard, I know - I put down $1500 (AUD), earlier than most people ... Amongst the first 50 in the world here, and I still won't get my car until late 2019 ...

Not happy about it, but understand the process ... I just sit here and read reviews and watch youtube videos :(. Still, Tesla must succeed ... More important than my own satisfaction!

Here's someone who gets it. Life is a series of compromises, patience, and realignment of understanding of what's realistic, and what's not.

We are certainly among the very lucky ones, who, by hook or by crook, were able to manage buying the currently available higher priced Model 3. Let me tell you; this car is the Full Monty. If you have to steal in order to get one, DO IT! This car is kick ass!

3M 1080 full color wrap, "Satin Perfect Blue" over factory black;

upload_2018-7-9_20-27-35.jpeg

OMG, for a brief moment, I'm living in the future!

Dude, chill. I distinctly recalled this forum having this conversation with you already back in June 26th.

You were told essentially the same thing back then. And last I checked Tesla didn't change their delivery estimate of the SR from then til now (that was when they initially changed their estimate to 6-9 months, which was essentially ~ Q1 2019). Looking at your post history, I can see that you're getting progressively more antzy. But all that fretting isn't going to make the 6 months come any sooner. Go read a few books and time should pass by more quickly.

Sorry about the ribbing from your friends and family, but you will have the last laugh.

I think we will see the SR starting deliveries in December.
WHY ?
Because the factory employee's deserve it. Of anyone out there they deserve to get one before the full $7500 goes away.
As to income ? They can convert IRA to Roth IRA and achieve the $7500 tax liability.

I hope they "ACCIDENTALLY" produce 2-3 thousand more so that those of us in line at 4:30 AM get one.
NOTE: HOPE not expect.

Long. Very long. Probably too long (stock).

As an early Model 3 reservation holder with the SR M3 in mind, I have to say that ggies07 does make a point.

I do not support the way ggies07 is trying to make his point, but to dismiss him overall - as is done in this thread - is a bridge too far imho.

I follow Tesla closely since 2013 so I am aware of history repeating itself regarding prioritizing the premium models and the financials of ramping etcetera. However, when the Model 3 "mass market" car was revealed in 2016 for 35k base price and Tesla opened up reservations, Tesla's message was that you could support the Model 3 mission by placing a deposit, resulting in the pride of being one of the first to own it "whenever the Model 3 will be produced".

Nobody expected even the 2020 deadline to hold, so I agree it is amazing that Musk stepped up the ramp by 1,5 years approximately.

The argument could be made: "you knew as a reservation holder that you would have to wait for the Model 3 till at least 2020, so don't complain now". It has some validity: patience is a virtue and we support Tesla.

However, the argument above does not hold up when others - that never placed a reservation in 2016 - would 'cut the line' simply by ordering a more expensive Model 3.

This goes against the Model 3 car being supposed for the masses at 35k (remember the unveil event) and against the proposed benefits of ordering a Model 3 in 2016, i.e. you'll be amongst the first to drive it, whenever we get production up.

I am not a Tesla owner yet, am located in Europe and I want the standard range version. My guess is I'll get my car by the end of 2019. I don't mind that but I do feel slightly at a disadvantage given that resident US citizens can now order a premium model without having supported Tesla when the production of Model 3 still was an uncertainty. When the early reservation holders (SR and LR versions alike) took a chance and did something most other car buyers write off as idiotic: paying for a car that you won't drive for a few years down the line.

Ok, we got a letter by Elon with a Model 3 drawing. But I still feel slightly cheated.

Of course I won't moan about it, but I wanted to write this post to just point out that there is some truth to be found in ggies07's frustration. He's not completely wrong. Again, I do not condone his rather childish behaviour by complaining angrily about it.

One way Tesla might level the playing field could be that all the reservation holders that have not yet received their car before the first non-early-reservation holder-delivery takes place (the first "line cutter") get some sort of special deal when finally configuring the SR car. For example a $200 discount. Nothing too expensive, but at least intrest compensation and a gesture of "Thank you for supporting Tesla when we needed it the most".

I know this won't happen and I'll still order my SR whenever I can, but Tesla should be a little more careful about these reservations. Because of how this went, I am never again pre-ordering a new Tesla Model by putting down a deposit, I'll just wait for the ramp. The difference will only be two months maximum and I can use my money for other things. And that's a shame, because I felt proud to support Tesla's Model 3 when everybody around me said I was crazy for forking over cash to a company that might as well go bankrupt.

End of rant. I'll never bring it up again.

Reactions: ggies07
You realize the target schedule was accelerated after the reservations opened, right? Folks putting their initial reservation were expecting initial production in 2019, and then they'd have to start working through the backlog from there.

This is absolutely incorrect. Here is Elon during the reveal promising deliveries by end of 2017 while mentioning the price of $35k. And right before that he claimed production in excess of 500k/year for Fremont. So taken together an informed buyer at that time would have expected to take delivery of a $35k optionless car somewhere first half of 2018. Tesla has breached the trust of people who put down $1000 with that very reasonable expectations. If you deny reality, you can't expect the other side to accept the explanations of what's the current state of affairs.

This is absolutely incorrect. Here is Elon during the reveal promising deliveries by end of 2017 while mentioning the price of $35k. And right before that he claimed production in excess of 500k/year for Fremont. So taken together an informed buyer at that time would have expected to take delivery of a $35k optionless car somewhere first half of 2018. Tesla has breached the trust of people who put down $1000 with that very reasonable expectations. If you deny reality, you can't expect the other side to accept the explanations of what's the current state of affairs.

I agree with the gist of this post. Minor quibble with your post: the reservations opened before the reveal and the state of affairs then was that Elon had promised 500k/year production in 2020 (I believe on Twitter, not sure though).

Reactions: neroden