Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Late Model S 70 could actually be 75kWh pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I have a 2016 model S 70 delivered March 31st. Classic look (literally) just before facelift.

Due to the timing it has some features which were intended for the facelift models (center console, new look alloys) - I guess assembly line was in transition at the time.

At the same time the 70 battery was depreciated in favour of the 75 and the 60 (which is actually a software limited 75).

When new, the rated range in dash was showing 242 miles at 100% charge. I'm approaching 10k miles now and recently did a 100% charge and still getting 242 miles which means no battery degradation.

This got me wondering if my Tesla actually got a 75 battery in the assembly line (software limited to 70) - entirely feasible if their stock of 70 packs ran out with no more in production.

Any way of checking for sure - any serial numbers I can check etc?

Thanks!

Any way of checking for sure - any serial numbers I can check etc?

Check the sticker on the battery pack. You should be able to see it from inside the passengers front wheel well.

But yes the newer Model S 70s came with a 75kWh battery. The other way you should be able to check is to go into your MyTesla page and see if they offer you an upgrade to unlock the extra 5kWhs in your pack.

I have a 70D - June 2016 build and have the 75kwh pack but no upgrade as yet. Approx 10,000 miles (16,000km)

I run "Rated" range as closer than "typical" to my driving but my range is far different as we must have different calculations in the background for Australia.

My rated range 100% charge is equivalent to 280 miles (450km) my 80% is 223 miles (360km) and I regularly achieve this on the road with careful driving.

I need to do some research into the differences between our range estimates?

There definitely is degradation to the battery. But not sure if it will affect your range just yet. The first generation Chevy Volt is kind of the same way with a large portion of its battery capacity unavailable to the driver and has had similar comments such as these.

Two ways to think about it. You drive around with the additional weight of the larger battery without fully utilizing its potential. Or you significantly increase the durability of the cells by forcing the operator for optimized charging behaviors (not being able to charge to a true or close-to-true 100%).