Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest EV Tax Credit Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New orders on Model Y are pushed out to 2023 anyways but I suspect with this potential EV credit, orders will increase today and the coming days significantly. For Model 3 Standard Range orders, for those who can wait and whose income does qualify, it is a no-brainer to take delivery in 2023.
It will also kill demand for MYP orders as currently delivery wait time is Aug-Oct 2022 as I write this.

It will also kill demand for MYP orders as currently delivery wait time is Aug-Oct 2022 as I write this.
So Am I correct in reading this that if I take delivery on my Model Y Performance in a couple weeks vs wait until Jan 2023 I get a $7500 credit/reduction in price? If so I am seriously considering cancelling my order, I already waited since April, what is another 5 months for $7500? or can 2022 deliveries qualify?

So Am I correct in reading this that if I take delivery on my Model Y Performance in a couple weeks vs wait until Jan 2023 I get a $7500 credit/reduction in price? If so I am seriously considering cancelling my order, I already waited since April, what is another 5 months for $7500? or can 2022 deliveries qualify?
You will need to take delivery in 2023 to qualify for the credit. You can order in 2022 and take delivery in 2023, that is OK as far as I know. Also, please make sure that your income qualifies since they put a threshold on income to qualify for the credit.

To qualify, a person must not have a "modified adjusted gross income" above...
  • $300,000 for a joint return or surviving spouse
  • $225,000 for head of household
  • $150,000 for all others

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
You will need to take delivery in 2023 to qualify for the credit. You can order in 2022 and take delivery in 2023, that is OK as far as I know. Also, please make sure that your income qualifies since they put a threshold on income to qualify for the credit.

To qualify, a person must not have a "modified adjusted gross income" above...
  • $300,000 for a joint return or surviving spouse
  • $225,000 for head of household
  • $150,000 for all others
yup I would qualify - well DAMN- what do I do?! LOL. My expected delivery is August 3-17th - so any week. I guess the risk is prices increase even further wiping out the $7,500 incentive? Be curious on what others think or what they would do. Accept delivery in August, or cancel and roll the dice for 2023 delivery?

yup I would qualify - well DAMN- what do I do?! LOL. My expected delivery is August 3-17th - so any week. I guess the risk is prices increase even further wiping out the $7,500 incentive? Be curious on what others think or what they would do. Accept delivery in August, or cancel and roll the dice for 2023 delivery?
Change to a MYLR 7 seater until 2023, then change back to a MYP. Would not need to cancel then.

Tricky situation. With the wait times and given that the tax credit has not passed 100%, I would most likely take delivery now, but just my personal opinion. Or, if performance is not a must for you, I would just order an MYLR now locking in the current price and take delivery in 2023.

You can also ask Tesla if they would delay your delivery to January 2023. It is a long shot, but worth trying.

I don't believe that's so.

It is so since I changed the config on my M3LR order and the new price did apply. The only benefit is that you do not lose your place in line. One thing that does not change the price is if you reject a VIN/delivery and delay your delivery date (without changing the config/color) though they let you do that only once or twice and within a 90-day window assuming they did not change the rules on that since last February.

It is so since I changed the config on my M3LR order and the new price did apply. The only benefit is that you do not lose your place in line. One thing that does not change the price is if you reject a VIN/delivery and delay your delivery date (without changing the config/color) though they let you do that only once or twice and within a 90-day window assuming they did not change the rules on that since last February.

It might have changed recently, but I've watched people take late-2021 reservations and modify all kinds of options and even swap from MYLR to MYP while keeping the exact pricing that existed on the day of their reservation...

We might want to confirm if Tesla is still honoring this, given your conflicting data - it could be important for those who want to juggle an order in response to the potential tax changes. I believe you can also punt your reservation down the calendar by just yanking your financing setup on it...

It might be the age of the reservation - my data is all from RD's in late 2021. Younger reservations might have a different policy.

Last edited:
It might have changed recently, but I've watched people take late-2021 reservations and modify all kinds of options and even swap from MYLR to MYP while keeping the exact pricing that existed on the day of their reservation...

We might want to confirm if Tesla is still honoring this, given your conflicting data - it could be important for those who want to juggle an order in response to the potential tax changes. I believe you can also punt your reservation down the calendar by just yanking your financing setup on it...

It might be the age of the reservation - my data is all from RD's in late 2021. Younger reservations might have a different policy.

My reservation/order was in Oct 2021. I changed configuration in Jan 2022 and the new pricing was applied.

Take it......Take it.....take it!!
Drive it for a year and sell it for more than you paid. Order the 2023 now. I ordered the 2023 a week before my 2022 came in.