Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now spoken with 2 reps who independently alluded to the massive number of finalization requests as TMC's attempt at quantifying battery pack sizes and feeling out the number of cancellations/deferrals in the air. I was told not to be surprised if my sequence number, which in the 7000s, is called by the end of Sept.

Wow Greg,

That's quite a reversal in outlook. :-o

It's good to see that you're more optimistic than a few posts ago. :wink:

Larry

Oh hey Larry, I think you took my earlier post in a negative light. I actually meant the word "sand-bagging" in a positive way... you know when you're playing golf with a guy who claims he hasn't played in years, and the next thing you know, you discover he's a "scratch" golfer.

Now I see how you were looking at it, as I thought your response was a little odd when I first read it.

You'll find I'm one of the most optimistic, faithful to Elon and crew here. Call me an objective, logical, yet a fanboy. Any verbiage from me that comes across differently - we'll blame on my bad choice of words. ;)

So when does the 30-day "Finalize" clock begin? When the button shows up, or when you get the email?

Evidently, the 30-day clock begins when the button shows up. I still haven't received my e-mail, but ever since the finalize button appeared last Thursday (8/30), if I click on finalize, the Estimated Delivery block shows the estimated delivery per my configuration, then states "orders completed by 9/29/2012."

I have now spoken with 2 reps who independently alluded to the massive number of finalization requests as TMC's attempt at quantifying battery pack sizes and feeling out the number of cancellations/deferrals in the air. I was told not to be surprised if my sequence number, which in the 7000s, is called by the end of Sept.

I would also think that asking 7,000 people to finalize their order would also help you in grouping deliveries into clusters so that you can be the most efficient at getting to 5,000 cars delivered into customers hands.

You have 30 days to lock in your order.

And then for every day you wait beyond that, delivery slips one day.

- - - Updated - - -

So when does the 30-day "Finalize" clock begin? When the button shows up, or when you get the email?

(Not like I'm checking "My Garage" every five minutes, but... just curious)
Like I keep saying, the 30-day "Finalize" clock is NBD. Every day you go over just costs you 1 day delivery delay.

There's another 30-day clock, which has confused the issue. If you read the MVPA closely, once Tesla notifies you that the car is ready to be delivered, you have 30 days to take delivery. (I can only imagine this being an issue for me if I were on an extended vacation, but since I've never taken one of those....)

There's another 30-day clock, which has confused the issue. If you read the MVPA closely, once Tesla notifies you that the car is ready to be delivered, you have 30 days to take delivery. (I can only imagine this being an issue for me if I were on an extended vacation, but since I've never taken one of those....)
Yeah, that's a rare problem I've never seen mentioned. So no one is confused by it.

This is unsubstantiated, so I don't want to fuel rumors.
I was at my Tesla store talking to the manager and he sort of put it this way...
you have 30 days to finalize before "deferring"
But the sooner you finalize, the better, and the sooner you'll see your car.
Tesla is planning the batching of their production runs every day, and they aren't waiting for YOU to finalize. So if you take the full month there will be later reservation numbers getting their car built before you.

But as I said in another thread, don't rush into anything. I've found Tesla very resistant these days to letting you make any changes once your MVPA is signed.

In the end though, between when you finalize, the production batching, the batching of deliveries, etc. It will likely not matter much. Once Tesla ramps up there will be a lot of cars and a lot of happy new Tesla owners...give or take a week or two.

This is unsubstantiated, so I don't want to fuel rumors.
I was at my Tesla store talking to the manager and he sort of put it this way...
you have 30 days to finalize before "deferring"
But the sooner you finalize, the better, and the sooner you'll see your car.
Tesla is planning the batching of their production runs every day, and they aren't waiting for YOU to finalize. So if you take the full month there will be later reservation numbers getting their car built before you.

Plausible, but it would depend on their actual production lead-times and what sort of batching they are doing. You do get the lock-in email 3 months ahead of time. If you wait a month then the lock-in is 2 months ahead of time. I could see where that might start having some impact on delivery date.

This discussion leads me to wonder how they are batching the Signatures. There is less variation than Production - they all have the same pack, etc. Would they batch by paint color? By Performance versus Standard? By interior trim? I wouldn't be astonished to discover that the batching was going on by interior trim, since there are a lot more parts to change. Regardless, let's randomly guess that they have four batch classes, and that they cycle through them weekly for a full cycle of one month.

So basically it would depend on how your order happened to drop in relative to the batch cycle. Delaying to the last minute might not have any impact if you hit the cycle at the right point. If you are unlucky on your timing then you could potentially slip by up to a month. In this sort of situation, the average delay ends up being 2 weeks with a range of 0 to 4 weeks.

Lots of assumptions here, but I'd recommend locking in within a week of getting your email, to reduce the risk of extra delay.