Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get time to build notice? I am P8470, trying to figure if I will get notice by december? earlier?

I think (and hope) after the first 5000 or so cars get made and delivered Tesla is going to call people about 45-60 days before before they will be able to build the car. I would think you will get a call in February, assuming an April delivery. This is pure speculation on my part. I do work in manufacturing and having too many orders is a problem, as well as having too few orders to batch properly.

I think a 2 week car queue is about what they will want when they start continuous production.

I am number 7,701 and am expecting a call in Dec/Jan time frame. Hopefully for a Feb 28 delivery.

#7645 here and my expectations have been set for a March delivery (from day one actually). As a matter of fact, the last time I asked, I got kind of an "well... march.. yeah.. probably" answer. His body language told me April, not February. Of course, if they continue this ramp, who knows... February would be nice.

On another note, I certainly wouldn't expect them to shorten their config -> delivery window. Again, it could happen, but I'd be prepared (with your configuration in hand) 4 months before you expect delivery, so in your case, Oct 28th.

I am number 7,701 and am expecting a call in Dec/Jan time frame. Hopefully for a Feb 28 delivery.

too bad it isn't a leap year!
I am hoping for either Thanksgiving( then I will take vacation through new years) or Solstice for the consciousness shift ;>

I was thinking they are planning a 1 month time for the future. You place your order, get papers back and forth then they start building it (almost instantly), set up a day for delivery and in ~1 month you get your car. They will know/have worked out all of the minor issues that cause delay ( mostly suppliers?) No backlog of orders, just batching paint types in an efficient way so the color changes don't need to occur constantly but maybe weekly they would switch colors batches. all of the other stuff should be pretty much the same for all of the cars just different 'colors' and sizes (wires/ inverter pckg)

I was thinking they are planning a 1 month time for the future. You place your order, get papers back and forth then they start building it (almost instantly), set up a day for delivery and in ~1 month you get your car.

The plan is 3 months.

George Blankenship:
"Our goal is to have three to four months of active reservations at any given point in time ahead of production, whatever the production rate is."

From the 2nd Q earnings call end July 25, 2012.
Tesla Motors' CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

Waited til the last minute (finalize said I had to by 9/13 to keep my spot), and signed off on the MVPA today

P3081, Brown, Pano, 60kWh, tech package, air suspension

ETA Nov/Dec

Will Tesla personal delivery deliver on December 25th? :smile:

too bad it isn't a leap year!

Wouldn't help. My birthday is the 28th. I figure that would be cool! :cool:

And actually Georgia taxes cars differently (you pay less up front, but don't have to pay every year) starting on March 1, 2013. You can get a waiver for a car bought up until then, so even if I get mid to late March which is what I have been expecting from day 1, and actually planned placing my reservation for (for mid March timing, not the tax thing) it will work out.

I was thinking they are planning a 1 month time for the future. You place your order, get papers back and forth then they start building it (almost instantly), set up a day for delivery and in ~1 month you get your car. They will know/have worked out all of the minor issues that cause delay ( mostly suppliers?) No backlog of orders, just batching paint types in an efficient way so the color changes don't need to occur constantly but maybe weekly they would switch colors batches. all of the other stuff should be pretty much the same for all of the cars just different 'colors' and sizes (wires/ inverter pckg)

Yeah well I was assuming, and accounting for, a 3-4 week timer to sign your contract. 2 week build time (as I think they will probably run a set color schedule that will probably rotate about every 10 days or so. Just a hunch based on my factory expierence. And about a week to deliver. If you time it from sign I would think 4 weeks would be accurate.

The plan is 3 months.

George Blankenship:
"Our goal is to have three to four months of active reservations at any given point in time ahead of production, whatever the production rate is."

From the 2nd Q earnings call end July 25, 2012.
Tesla Motors' CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

That is from reservation to delivery. I would think you would be on the reservation list for a few weeks before they ask you to 'build' your car. I could be wrong.

Waited til the last minute (finalize said I had to by 9/13 to keep my spot), and signed off on the MVPA today

P3081, Brown, Pano, 60kWh, tech package, air suspension

ETA Nov/Dec

Will Tesla personal delivery deliver on December 25th? :smile:
Wasn't really the last minute; a day's delay slips your "spot" by one day, etc. NBD.

Wasn't really the last minute; a day's delay slips your "spot" by one day, etc. NBD.

Seeing as Tesla is clearly (and sensibly) batching production, it's also possible that you can wait another day and then miss the batch you would have gone into thus making you wait till the next batch for your spec comes around. We don't know, it might be a big deal.....

Yeah actually I was debating about getting the tech package or not, and speculating that not getting it might result in being batched sooner if most people are getting it, but who knows. I do know someone in the P5000 range who signed their paperwork before me, but with very different options, very unknown who will get theirs first if 60kWh's have any delay in them.

You can't guess what will be batching next, the only thing one can say for certainty is that statistically speaking you've got more chance of getting your car in a timely manner if you complete your configuration on time. Everybody has to make their own judgement on what's important to them, and for some it will be important to take time.

Just FINALIZED!

P1937 Performance Blue, 21" Silvers, delete spoiler, Pano, Gray Leather, Obeche Matte, Twin Chargers, Rear Facing Seats, Sound. (everything except wall charger and paint armor)

I was holding out for a bump to Sig and same but Red/Black Interior....

Can't wait now! Good news is I feel really good about the purchase - especially after pricing similarly performant sedans from the usuals....

Just said Nov-Dec.

It seems we saw a rash of "finalize your order" up through P5500 or so and now it's stopped. Accounting for a reasonable percentage of deferrals and dropouts, it looks like Tesla wanted to lock in 5000 configs. Could be evidence they still think they can hit 5000 cars produced this year. Cool.

Those of us in that recent surge up through 5500 need to finalize our order by the end of September before deferral begins, so you may see another run of requests to finalize your order at the end of September to fill the gap left by those who defer.