Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest "Finalize your order" date

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trade-in is done through AutoNation (unless that's changed recently). Tesla really doesn't have anything to do with it other than maybe they pick up the car. You get minimum value. Some folks have said CarMax gives a bit more. If you can sell it privately, you'll be ahead of the game.
My local Audi dealer was willing to pay ~20% more than the CarMax quote I got. It pays to do a little shopping, even if you don't want to deal with the hassles of a private sale.

No doubt. The last time I traded a car in I was offered so little that I sold it privately for 3.5 times the amount offered.
I was surprised and impressed by the dealer quote -- effectively right at the KBB level (for what to expect if you sell it to second-hand dealer). I'm sure I could have done a little better privately, but not 2x or 3x. Plus -- I needed to get the car sold now ​to make room for the Model S!

I was surprised and impressed by the dealer quote -- effectively right at the KBB level (for what to expect if you sell it to second-hand dealer). I'm sure I could have done a little better privately, but not 2x or 3x. Plus -- I needed to get the car sold now ​to make room for the Model S!

My last trade was at the Toyota dealer. They were mad at me because Toyota had fixed the price with the Pioneer Program so they couldn't add a market adjustment, which is why I think I did so much better privately. I will be so happy to never go to a Toyota dealer again.

The trade-in is done through AutoNation (unless that's changed recently). Tesla really doesn't have anything to do with it other than maybe they pick up the car. You get minimum value. Some folks have said CarMax gives a bit more. If you can sell it privately, you'll be ahead of the game.

Thanks. I just looked at AutoNation and although their "value your tradein" form has Kelly Blue Book's logo on it, the final page has you fill in the info to get a report. Which is silly, since Kelly just tells you right on the web page.

- - - Updated - - -

My local Audi dealer was willing to pay ~20% more than the CarMax quote I got. It pays to do a little shopping, even if you don't want to deal with the hassles of a private sale.

I never thought of my Mazda dealer! My car's not in fantastic shape, but it's 12 years old. (Or should I say "it's 12 years old, but not in fantastic shape"?) ;-) Anyway, great idea (dealer) and excellent point (shopping to a few places).

I never thought of my Mazda dealer! My car's not in fantastic shape, but it's 12 years old. (Or should I say "it's 12 years old, but not in fantastic shape"?)...

Yeah, tho' I'm sure you're not their fave kind of customer: "No, I don't want to buy your current Hunkajunk model, but you can buy my 12-yr old Hunkajunk!"

Ah, the things people do to make a profit!! :biggrin:

Just got the email! Time to finalize. Now it all becomes real. :)

Thinking:
Black, tan leather, pano, 85kWh, 19's, twins, HWPC
or
Brown, tan, pano, 85kWh, 19's, twins, HWPC

Really want the 21's, but with year-round driving here in the NW, just really don't think the 21's make much sense. This will be my daily commuter (60 miles round trip), plus 8 - 10 trips between the beach, Seattle, and Bend each year.

Thinking:
or

Really want the 21's, but with year-round driving here in the NW, just really don't think the 21's make much sense. This will be my daily commuter (60 miles round trip), plus 8 - 10 trips between the beach, Seattle, and Bend each year.

Wait, you've seen the brown at the store for weeks now, and still can't decide? Flip a coin at this point. :)
I have heard from one very careful Model S owner here in Oregon that the 19's are more comfortable, and with winter tires give him a strong sense of confidence. So, let that be your guide.
(I'm still doing 21's.)

Wait, you've seen the brown at the store for weeks now, and still can't decide? Flip a coin at this point. :)
I have heard from one very careful Model S owner here in Oregon that the 19's are more comfortable, and with winter tires give him a strong sense of confidence. So, let that be your guide.
(I'm still doing 21's.)

I know, I know. Just thought the day would never come, want to talk to the wife tonight and go check out the car at the store one more time tonight. I'm patient, one day wont kill me.

Hey what's your delivery date? Before Christmas?

Thinking:
or

10,608...congrats! I have the feeling I'm going to hear this month.

I received an email today to "Enter My Delivery Details" in a red box. But, when I click on that red box, it takes me to my Tesla Motors Dashboard without any icon or screen to fill in details. My account must automatically sign in with no place to sign out. Any one else experience this? Not sure how to proceed. By the way, I am P7422 with 85KW Pearl White.

I received an email today to "Enter My Delivery Details" in a red box. But, when I click on that red box, it takes me to my Tesla Motors Dashboard without any icon or screen to fill in details. My account must automatically sign in with no place to sign out. Any one else experience this? Not sure how to proceed. By the way, I am P7422 with 85KW Pearl White.

Right-click on the red box in the email and choose to copy the link. Then, click on it and when you see the dashboard, paste the link into the address bar and go. That should help.