Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest firmware won't unlock the doors with Android phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every morning or everytime I walked out a shopping mall, my S20 won't unlock the car. The main screen shows I have to use the card to enter, then maybe 10 seconds later, I can hear the loud click that seems like the car wakes up, but it still won't let me enter the car unless I unlock with the app.

It asks around and seems a lot of android users have similar problem? firmware issue or that's just me?

This is the old "Phone as Key" issue. It's as old as the Model 3. It certainly has gotten better over time, but occasionally a software update will come out that breaks it again for some people. Here's a "master" thread: Phone as Key Issues (have fun!)

Usually if you are having problem, what works is to actually take your phone out of wherever you keep it as you approach the car. The people that have the most problem are people that keep their phones in their back pocket. Apparently the Bluetooth signal is attenuated significantly when it has to go through one's body.

The other issue appears to be with phone settings and setting it up to prevent the Tesla app or Bluetooth in general from being terminated as a power saving measure.

I've just gotten into the habit of taking my phone out of my pocket as I approach the car (because I'm going to set it on the console anyway).