Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having trouble finding the answer to this so asking here and please forgive me if it's a played-out or annoying question.
I'm really new to owning a Tesla.

I have a 2017 Model S and want to know... what is the latest firmware?

While my display does show it's up to date, I have reason to believe that may not be accurate.
I won't get into why in this thread. Merely knowing what the latest should be would answer that question for me.

I'm still rocking MCU1 if that matters.

I'm still unsure if MCU1 only gets up to firmware version a.b.c
While MCU2 gets up to x.y.z

You are correct that different cars can get different versions. For example, if a bug fix is only for the Model X, it will get an update, but 3/Y/S will not. It's even more granular than that, with the year of the car and even the specific equipment of the car affecting what versions you'll get.

On top of that, updates are rolled out in a semi-random order over many weeks. Some may get it right away, but I've seen delays as long as 6 weeks from when others get it.

Older cars (MCU1) get fewer updates than the newest cars. Part of that is some features are not available due to hardware limitations of those olders cars.