Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest fsd beta issue, trying to take over when I’m driving.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’ve been a part of the beta since nearly the beginning, I was score 99 wave. I’m familiar with the ins and outs and totally accepting that this is beta and am always ready to take over. I’ve stopped the car from driving down the wrong side of the road or trying to smash into cement barricades. All of that was to be expected and overall I’ve enjoyed the beta and seeing the progress and possibly helping as well.

With that said, here’s my complaint or issue and I haven’t seen it talked about here yet (I’ve been super busy with my career though and haven’t been around here as much). My 2020 performance model y keeps trying to do the reverse to me where it try’s to take over saying I’m leaving the lane. Several instances it’s done this it tried to turn me into oncoming traffic!! Literally every drive I take, even short drives, the car keeps thinking I’m leaving the lane and try’s to push me into the oncoming lane or in a circle trying to put me on the median.

I can accept that when I choose to be in fsd I have to be vigilant of the car being stupid, but when I’m choosing to drive myself having the car try to intervene and be wrong every time is not only scary but massively unsafe since I’m not necessarily driving as alert when I’m not in fsd. With that said I’ve disabled all the driver assistance features as this behavior of the car got really sketchy.

Is this happening to anyone else? Fsd issue or something else I need to make a service appointment for…

Reactions: legendsk
You can shut off the lane assist in the car menu. This feature applies to both FSD beta and production AP cars.

I leave it on even though it’s sometimes “wrong” (tries to push the car when it incorrectly thinks I’m drifting out of a lane), but you can turn it off if you’d like. With that said, if the behavior is that way off and that often, you should get it checked by a service appt. Record date/time of when that happens and log a bug report by pushing right scroll wheel in for voice command and saying, “bug report… lane keep assist malfunctioning!” Or something like that. Those bug reports can be pulled by service center when you take it in for this check.

About all I've noticed is that I've started to get a lot of "leaving the driving lane" (or whatever the exact words are) messages and the loud take over immediately warning sound when I pull into my driveway. That's starting to get old! I probably need to focus on using my turn signal to pull in I guess.

I was driving with FSDbeta engaged on a 1 lane road which divided into 3 lanes as it approached a busy 3 way intersection with a light. There were right and left turn lanes and a center lane with large arrows to turn in either direction. The single lane was continuous with the middle lane. I was turning right and the indicator was on. The car wanted to get into the right turn lane instead of staying in the center lane but the right turn lane was full and no space to turn into it. The steering wheel was violently shaking and I had to disengage. I did send a camera clip.

Thanks for your feedback. I haven’t tried calibrating again but also haven’t changed my glass or anything. I’ll try that and report back later.
I know this is basic, but worth asking, Do you have the lane departure setting disabled? If it's enabled, it will try to correct you if it thinks you're drifting lanes without using your signal.

I know this is basic, but worth asking, Do you have the lane departure setting disabled? If it's enabled, it will try to correct you if it thinks you're drifting lanes without using your signal.
I had all driver assistance features disabled. My car updated and most these issues went away. It still says I’m departing the lane randomly and I always use a blinker. It drives me nuts when people don’t blinker lol. I also ride a super bike and have held several different licenses, and taken many different professional driving and riding courses, I’m a damn good driver.
To clarify, I LOVE this car and fsd beta is pretty cool but definitely super glitch still. The reason I posted this in the fsd area is because I feel these issues are directly tied to my car having the beta fsd software on it. The somewhat recent software update fixing most of the issues sort of confirmed that too.

Reactions: Dewg