Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest FSD Beta update is a step backwards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model X and was an FSD Beta "test driver" for several months. I downloaded the latest FSD Beta update - presumably the one that serves as the "recall" required by NHTSA - two weeks ago. Since then, my car continues to make the same mistakes it was making under the previous software, only more frequently: inappropriate/nonsensical lane selection for upcoming turn; inappropriate/dangerous merge lane behavior; trying to enter an intersection with oncoming traffic much too close; phantom braking. In addition, it is making some new mistakes: failure to yield to priority traffic, trying to turn in the direction opposite to the nav plan; frequent inability to handle the unprotected left turn (ULT) scenario that it used to handle quite well; turning right on red in front of left turners who have ROW.

I no longer feel comfortable engaging FSD Beta when my wife is in the car. I am extremely surprised and disappointed with the new software. Unless there is a significant turn-around, I expect that NHTSA will require Tesla to disable FSD Beta in the near future.

I would like to hear if other drivers are having a similar experience with the latest FSD Beta.

It's junk. I makes the simplest of mistakes. One example.....it blew through a stop sign. Driving 101. You fail the road test. Let's face it, people are not scooping up this software for 15K. What is it 20%?. And what if he makes a 25K model in Mexico? You gonna add 15K? a 60% bump in price? He can beat and yell and threaten his coders all he wants. They cannot possibly handle 99.99% of all situations. If he keeps it up NHTSA will order him to disable the code

• Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
It's junk. I makes the simplest of mistakes. One example.....it blew through a stop sign. Driving 101. You fail the road test. Let's face it, people are not scooping up this software for 15K. What is it 20%?. And what if he makes a 25K model in Mexico? You gonna add 15K? a 60% bump in price? He can beat and yell and threaten his coders all he wants. They cannot possibly handle 99.99% of all situations. If he keeps it up NHTSA will order him to disable the code
100% agree with your sentiment. 100% disagree it's happening on all cars. V11 is getting more positive feedback that other versions we've seen in some time. You may need to accept that something is wrong with your car and you need to figure out what that is.

I have a 2020 Model X and was an FSD Beta "test driver" for several months. I downloaded the latest FSD Beta update - presumably the one that serves as the "recall" required by NHTSA - two weeks ago. Since then, my car continues to make the same mistakes it was making under the previous software, only more frequently: inappropriate/nonsensical lane selection for upcoming turn; inappropriate/dangerous merge lane behavior; trying to enter an intersection with oncoming traffic much too close; phantom braking. In addition, it is making some new mistakes: failure to yield to priority traffic, trying to turn in the direction opposite to the nav plan; frequent inability to handle the unprotected left turn (ULT) scenario that it used to handle quite well; turning right on red in front of left turners who have ROW.

I no longer feel comfortable engaging FSD Beta when my wife is in the car. I am extremely surprised and disappointed with the new software. Unless there is a significant turn-around, I expect that NHTSA will require Tesla to disable FSD Beta in the near future.

I would like to hear if other drivers are having a similar experience with the latest FSD Beta.
There is a setting for less frequent lane changes.

I'm quite pleased with 11.3.3 It is so much smoother and human driver like. It still has a way to go, but this was a big step. Moves over in the lane if someone seems to be encroaching on you, particularly semi's. Stays in its' lane, even in the absence of center dotted lane indicators. Won't lane change when there is a solid stripe between lanes. Doesn't swing out to stay centered when a lane widens at an exit. Lots of good stuff.

I honestly don't know what version I was at a couple of weeks ago prior to losing FSD after a service but I think I was reasonably up to date. Today I got FSD back after it updated to 2022.45.13, which I understand to be FSD 11.3.4.
Significant improvement, in my opinion. Particularly in situations where it needs to creep forward to see better. Far more smooth and expedient.

But it is still very much beta (no surprise... that's exactly what it is). On one creeping forward occasion, it happily started to go right into a car that was in the lane I would have turned into. It still signals on some curvy roads that aren't "turns" (don't require signaling) and it still does a very awkward slow down on the highway at intersections. But it is VASTLY better than it was a year ago, and every iteration is a step forward. I'm not 100% confident it will ever get to real "FSD" with the existing hardware, but I'm encouraged about where the technology in general is headed. Even if I never get true "FSD", it is so far beyond any other vehicle's driver assistance features that I'm still happy with the money I paid for it (which, granted, is nowhere near the price it is currently at).

In addition, it is making some new mistakes: failure to yield to priority traffic, trying to turn in the direction opposite to the nav plan; frequent inability to handle the unprotected left turn (ULT) scenario that it used to handle quite well; turning right on red in front of left turners who have ROW.

I can confirm that I never experienced it turning left when the route plan said to turn right prior to beta 11.3, though I'm not sure I've ever tried to let it drive in that parking lot before, either. I encountered similar problems a second time in a different parking lot yesterday, where it couldn't make a simple right turn into a road adjacent to a parking lot with no divider, and tried to turn the wrong way. There seems to be a serious disconnect between route planning and actual driving behavior, at least when letting it drive in parking lots.

When this happens, the first thing you notice is that it hesitates for a really long time. Then, it panics and moves the wheel back and forth rapidly, as though it can't make up its mind about which way to go, despite there being absolutely no obvious reason for it to be struggling (no cars coming, no obstacles in the road, etc.). Finally, it turns the wheel in entirely the wrong direction without updating the path planning, and I grab the wheel and wrench it in the right direction to complete the turn. That behavior is downright disturbing, and doubly so when it starts acting like it is about to do that when pulling out onto a street with cars coming.

And I don't remember experiencing such severe indecisiveness in recent 10.69.x builds, so I think this is a path planning regression of some sort.

11.3.3 has subjected me to three near traffic collisions in the last 24 hours, all in left turn scenarios. It’s far from usable in general. I’ll be posting video of the incidents soon.
11.3.3 has ignored red left turn arrows for me twice — once at night, and once in the daytime, at different intersections. And both times when it went the wrong way for me at a turn, it turned left instead of right. Turning left instead of stopping, turning left instead of turning right... it's like it wants to show us so badly that it can do unprotected left turns at a stop sign that it thinks everything is an unprotected left turn at a stop sign, even when it isn't a stop sign or a left turn. 🤣

Reactions: DanCar