Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest MS 19'' Tires - Goodyear's confusing tire scheme

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Not only does the Tesla Service Center not carry the new T1 tires, they have never even heard of it. Yes, you read that right.
Exactly. I got a nail in the sidewall of a T1 tire. I went to the local service center and the tech told me that the T0 is the latest tire. He had never heard of the T1. I then went to Discount Tire. They "ordered me" the T1. My appointment is tomorrow and it turns out it is the T0 I could have gotten at Tesla the other day. Tirerack says the T1 is on backorder and I only need 1 tire. My only concern is if I put on a T0 tire on my front right will it affect range? Every mile matters to me. It's the reason I ungraded to the Raven Model S in the first place. Thoughts?

Exactly. I got a nail in the sidewall of a T1 tire. I went to the local service center and the tech told me that the T0 is the latest tire. He had never heard of the T1. I then went to Discount Tire. They "ordered me" the T1. My appointment is tomorrow and it turns out it is the T0 I could have gotten at Tesla the other day. Tirerack says the T1 is on backorder and I only need 1 tire. My only concern is if I put on a T0 tire on my front right will it affect range? Every mile matters to me. It's the reason I ungraded to the Raven Model S in the first place. Thoughts?

It's my understanding that it's a bad idea to for just ONE of the tires to be different. It's best that they are all the same, or at least have the front two or back two tires the same.

Is it okay to replace one tire (of four matched tires) with a completely different model of tire?

So here is my update. I had no choice but to install one T0 tire. I am using 11 more Wh/mi. This is super annoying that the service center does not have the right tire and has never heard of it.

This is almost certainly NOT due to the T0 vs T1 differentiation, but rather the fact that new tires just plain use more energy for the first several hundred miles. I'm on my fifth set of tires on my Model S. Every set comes with a temporary increase in consumption that you could set your watch by.

Reactions: Tezzie
Pilot Sport A/S 3+ or 4. I am on my third set each of which has averaged about 54000 quiet miles.
Costco and elsewhere. About $138 ea.
What is the difference between the two? And how was your efficiency impacted? Last person I talked to said he lost almost 20% when he switched from the MXM4 to the Pilot Sport A/S, but didn't say if they were 3+ or 4. That is a LOT.

Thanks.

What is the difference between the two? And how was your efficiency impacted? Last person I talked to said he lost almost 20% when he switched from the MXM4 to the Pilot Sport A/S, but didn't say if they were 3+ or 4. That is a LOT.

Thanks.
I think I used the MXM4 on a Lexus. Pilot Sport A/S 3+ probably provides better tread life. There are comparison tools at TireRack.com and Michelinman.comand Costco.com.
Also, one cannot buy these tires for $138 as I originally posted. Didn't proofread very well. More like $238 each.
After the first trip (of 5) from OH to FL to OH I never worried about range. The plastic of my slide rule has deteriorated to the point I cannot calculate a 20% loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: FMinMI

Thanks.
I used there Pilot Super Sport on my Lexus GS....Perfect tire for that car....I got 33k on 3 sets.....grip great, medium noise, super mileage at 75mph (33mpg with air and outside temp at 105F.....Irvine to San Jose in the summer)

But I think they wear too fast with the weight of the Model S....the pilot super sport is a rather soft tire

Reactions: FMinMI
I used there Pilot Super Sport on my Lexus GS....Perfect tire for that car....I got 33k on 3 sets.....grip great, medium noise, super mileage at 75mph (33mpg with air and outside temp at 105F.....Irvine to San Jose in the summer)

But I think they wear too fast with the weight of the Model S....the pilot super sport is a rather soft tire

For me, the absolute most important parameter is LRR (most miles per charge), followed by noise level and then wear. I am not concerned about tire life span or grip (well, I do want it to turn and stop but I don't care about it behaving like a sports car on a track).

I am now favoring the Goodyear Eagle Touring T1 (not T0) based on multiple comments I have gotten back, followed by the Michelin MXM4. I heard Michelin has just come out with a dedicated EV LRR tire but I haven't found anyone who has them yet...

For me, the absolute most important parameter is LRR (most miles per charge), followed by noise level and then wear. I am not concerned about tire life span or grip (well, I do want it to turn and stop but I don't care about it behaving like a sports car on a track).

I am now favoring the Goodyear Eagle Touring T1 (not T0) based on multiple comments I have gotten back, followed by the Michelin MXM4. I heard Michelin has just come out with a dedicated EV LRR tire but I haven't found anyone who has them yet...
My S has the Goodyear Eagle Touring T0.....I have 9k on them and they look very good....wear is good.....my average kWh is 247.....I have hear nightmares about this tire, but have had 0 issues except of 2 nails within 2 week apart within 30 days of getting tire.....had each one plugged and keeps air pressure.....I have also hear good things about the Continentals

I am now favoring the Goodyear Eagle Touring T1 (not T0) based on multiple comments I have gotten back, followed by the Michelin MXM4...

My S has the Goodyear Eagle Touring T0.....I have 9k on them and they look very good....wear is good.....my average kWh is 247.....I have hear nightmares about this tire, but have had 0 issues except of 2 nails within 2 week apart within 30 days of getting tire.....had each one plugged and keeps air pressure.....I have also hear good things about the Continentals
That is what I currently have, my second set. First lasted 24K, this one should last about the same, with them needing changing next fall. Being ADHD, I am already researching/pricing my next set and asking all kinds of questions to make sure I don't regret my next set :)

Reactions: r1200gs4ok