Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cars are great and I love the performance model 3, BUT

I bought my M3P+ in January for $73 000 (+taxes, delivery, etc) with FSD, white interior and white multicoat paint.

Today that car costs $62 000

Factor in my additional $1875 rebate and I've lost $9125 in 6 months, plus normal depreciation. Now tell me again about how my car is actually an appreciating asset

I like a lot of things about Tesla, but Musk's slimy sales tactics and compulsive lying are major issues with the company. I bought a Tesla believing in the vision and now I feel like a sucker who bought into a scam. I will definitely try hard to avoid buying a Tesla next time around. It's sad, but the brand has about the same prestige as VW to me at this point.
So tired of this crying. Get over it and enjoy your car.

I appreciate some of the feedback here, while others sound very cultish.

First off, no, $65k luxury cars don't fluctuate by $10k day to day. That is a ridiculous claim at any point in time, but especially so in 2019.
Not only do luxury cars fluctuate all the time, they even do it on the same day. If you want to say that the MSRP doesn't fluctuate, that's fair. But the fact is that the actual selling price varies, and varies greatly. You just don't see it because of the dealership structure.

I'll give you an example. I purchased an E350 MB in 2013. I was offered in excess of $10K off the MSRP by a dealer. I thought about it and went to another dealer across town, on the same day. The second dealer wouldn't drop below $5K off MSRP. I went back to the first dealer and bought the car.

The actual sales price of the car varies widely by area, dealer, and even sales person. But it's not printed in black and white on the website for everyone to see. I'm sure you paid more for a car in the past than someone who bought it a few days, weeks or months later, you just didn't know about.

I’m not at all surprised to see a price drop and have mentioned it here. I think most people realized this would happen (it is very predictable!) and they have said so on this site. As mentioned above, this is going to happen again in January! Tesla has always dropped prices and will continue to drop prices as incentives go away. They are really trying to boost their Q3 average selling price it looks like.

I paid $73200, $79622 after taxes and fees.

After all rebates and $850 back from the electric company for having the EV:

$68772

With today's prices, I could get the same car for about:

$55990, $60647 after taxes and fees.

After accounting for rebates (wouldn't get the $850, it's gone forever):

$56272

Not apples to apples, exactly; not accounting for minor items, I also have auto lane change and NoA and maybe even Enhanced Summon at some point. And free unlimited super charging. And the newer car would have HW3, FWIW without FSD.

In the end, taking these differences into account, looks like about a 10k difference. I didn't save any significant money on gas, since I already had an EV (which I still own so I can't count saving depreciation on that either), and I haven't added in the extra cost of 9 months of insurance and registration fees.

And I was one of the "super-gifted" ones. Ha. Some people paid ~$5500 more!

Would not be surprised if they also make FSD super cheap once they get it "working." They'll do what they need to to cash in on their investment in that. As it appears it will be implemented, as a level 2 system, it will be worth about $2-3k, so that's probably about what they will charge in a couple years. Wait for the sale! Remember to not listen to what Elon says...remember, he does not decide what FSD is worth or what it costs - you decide.

It's the same for purchasing any car. Tesla doesn't get to decide how much you pay for the car. You do. If it's too expensive, you don't buy it!

Reactions: sweetneet
The cars are great and I love the performance model 3, BUT

I bought my M3P+ in January for $73 000 (+taxes, delivery, etc) with FSD, white interior and white multicoat paint.

Today that car costs $62 000

Factor in my additional $1875 rebate and I've lost $9125 in 6 months, plus normal depreciation. Now tell me again about how my car is actually an appreciating asset

I like a lot of things about Tesla, but Musk's slimy sales tactics and compulsive lying are major issues with the company. I bought a Tesla believing in the vision and now I feel like a sucker who bought into a scam. I will definitely try hard to avoid buying a Tesla next time around. It's sad, but the brand has about the same prestige as VW to me at this point.
I feel the same way about Sony when 15 years ago I bought that $15,000 plasma 32” TV set that I can get from Walmart now for $199. I’m sooooo mad and feel so scammed just like you. Hate Sony and now Walmart too! Everyone should have to pay $15k for a TV set. I’m with ya’ buddy, let’s sue them classaction style!

Here's my perspective as a new buyer.

I originally ordered the 3 back on that first day about three years ago when we were first standing in lines to submit a preorder. To make a long story short(er), I canceled the order and bought another vehicle for about $40k.

A week ago, I decided I'd finally get my 3 so I built it online and placed my order for a dual motor performance version in pearl white. A few days later I was notified my delivery day would be July 17th (today). On July 15th, just eagerly awaiting my delivery, I saw posts about the price dropping. A little nervous if I could even get the new pricing, I checked my order page and the prices had already been adjusted down saving me $6,410 without me having to say a thing. Great feeling.

Of course, the $40k car I mentioned earlier was traded in today for $18,600. That could potentially annoy someone a lot, but depreciation on that scale is to be absolutely expected on every mass-produced vehicle.

I do understand being annoyed that the price of your selected build is lower now than when you bought it though. I suppose you could go trade it in at Tesla and buy a new one for the lower price. /shrug

I don't see how this is different than all other manufacturers having sales, incentives, rebates and such...like this past 4th of July holiday. Of course the same car you bought 6 months ago will be lower now, goes for virtually any new car.

Of course, the $40k car I mentioned earlier was traded in today for $18,600. That could potentially annoy someone a lot, but depreciation on that scale is to be absolutely expected on every mass-produced vehicle.

Mind sharing which car this was? Curious as a 50%+ drop in 3 years is kinda steep.

Reactions: Pkmmte
OMG BUICK SCREWED ME!!11!!111 </SARCASM>

A9071C08-6639-4947-9B01-649A0FC7F4B2.jpeg

Welcome to buying a car. At least with Tesla, if you and I order the same car on the same day, we’d get the same price. With the other guys (like above) - we could be sitting in cubicles next to each other, in the same dealership, ordering the same vehicle, and have WILDLY different prices.

So what are ya’ll getting upset about? Getting very, very tired of the self-entitled whining.

Now tell me again about how my car is actually an appreciating asset

It's totally, like oh my god, as if you know, appreciating....
... if you subscribe to Elon/Trump twitter math...

I like a lot of things about Tesla, but Musk's slimy sales tactics and compulsive lying are major issues with the company. I bought a Tesla believing in the vision and now I feel like a sucker who bought into a scam.

Dude, you just bought a car, not a "vision" or the "company".
Enjoy the ride.

Don't fret about company's somewhat loony CEO. He is a few deceptive tweets away from being removed from that position by SEC anyway.

But Elon recently tweeted our $50K +/- Model 3's will be worth $100k-$200k, once FSD is released...

Elon has twited a lot of DUMB sh*t:

elon musk dumb tweets - Google Search

• Disagree
Reactions: petergy and SO16
It's totally, like oh my god, as if you know, appreciating....
... if you subscribe to Elon/Trump twitter math...

Dude, you just bought a car, not a "vision" or the "company".
Enjoy the ride.

Don't fret about company's somewhat loony CEO. He is a few deceptive tweets away from being removed from that position by SEC anyway.

Elon has twited a lot of DUMB sh*t:

elon musk dumb tweets - Google Search

THAT was my point! Guess I should have spelled that out more in my post #53, that you are quoting... :confused:

Reactions: afadeev