Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of lowering prices on the high profit performance awd, I would have created higher trim to attract Porsche and exotic car drivers.
Higher trim with exclusive colors, wheels, and aero kit.

Nah. I’ll take a contrarian view ... I think the path to profitability right now is all about form factor.

It’s Model Y ... aka the Soccer Mom Model ... and then... the pickup.

Gotta get that pickup out the door. Get those workaday guys a reliable electric pickup they can use for work all day - and a home run happens. Even better - integrate it with FSD so it can drive its own route to customers, and it’s a workman’s dream.

They’re not sexy but they print money.

Step 1 - GF3
Step 2 - more batteries from GF1
Step 3 - Model Y in Fremont
Step 4 - pickup truck
Step 5 - Semi

The problem with Tesla is that the Model 3 is TOO GOOD. It’s siphoning sales off the Model S which is needed for profitability. The tech is better, the performance similar, the price 40% lower. No way Tesla becomes profitable until the S and X are refreshed. Or until the 3 reaches massive scale like 1mm per year which Tesla cannot do without the capex of new factories. Actually it’s quite a pickle.

Could also use a Democratic president to push the Green New Deal.
The floor mats suck. Toyota had plush secure mats in the Prius. There's no reason for such a novice oversight.

• Funny
Reactions: AZHobos
Nah. I’ll take a contrarian view ... I think the path to profitability right now is all about form factor.

It’s Model Y ... aka the Soccer Mom Model ... and then... the pickup.

Gotta get that pickup out the door. Get those workaday guys a reliable electric pickup they can use for work all day - and a home run happens. Even better - integrate it with FSD so it can drive its own route to customers, and it’s a workman’s dream.

They’re not sexy but they print money.

Step 1 - GF3
Step 2 - more batteries from GF1
Step 3 - Model Y in Fremont
Step 4 - pickup truck
Step 5 - Semi
Yeah, I think that's reasonable. It's not clear to me they'll have the capacity to fulfill that path comfortably. Did anyone talk about why they didn't go after Lordstown shuttered plant and workers? I suppose it could be as simple as Lordstown was a union shop (UAW) and all the displaced workers are union and Tesla isn't. I haven't been following that aspect of Tesla.