Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can pick on me all you want, but I am not sure how you tie a clearly satirical thread to a political agenda. I guess since I am Pro-Choice, it means I instinctively think people complaining about price drops on a tech product is dumb?

I read it as satirical and laughed as most people would. As I stated my comment wasn't specifically about your post but I can understand why and how we got here. Im also pro-choice, nobody's dumb but everyones energy's different.

My point on political views comes from ALL these "why did the price drop" threads today. There are allot of people who seem to look at the reduction from the I, me, mine point of view and a bunch of other folks who's seeing it from the we, us, them perspective. Just seem like a metaphor for our current political state of affairs.

Reactions: dk10438 and Joshan
According to Elon Musk it is! The car is supposed to appreciate in value! :)

If we compare Tesla to other manufacturers, they don't change their MSRP. They offer incentives, short-termed or long-termed, to move certain inventory. The baseline still remains the same. This in turn helps determine the residual value of the car 2 years, 5 years, 10 years down the road.

As I mentioned in my response above, Tesla, as a company, can choose whatever they want to do, and for that matter, each of us on the forums, made independent decisions to buy the car, and not under duress. I made the purchase based on Tesla's stability in model changes year-over-year (limited changes rather than a new model every year), their pricing stability (price didn't change unless features changed), and straight through purchase process. All this meant, their prices will be more stable.

The challenge for Tesla will be that more buyers in the future will wait on the sidelines or will go for other cars because they don't feel like the money they spent is protected. Yes, the car will inherently lose its value over time. However, some of the car company's practices lead to more stable / greater residual value for the car. Honda, for example, hold up their values better than many other cars not only because they are reliable, but also because they have not flooded the market with rental cars and such.

Hope you understand my sentiment, and not blindly accepting everything they company does!
So you think that because a car has an MSRP of $35K, but really sells for say $27K on average, the residual value of the car is based on the $35K? It's not, because everyone in the secondary market knows that the real value of the new car is $27K.

Also, is it better for Tesla to hold any price drops until the future on the off chance it might cause a buyer to put off a purchase? What if the price drops can bring in 2 new buyers for every 1 that might wait for the next price drop? Isn't that better for the company, and by extension current owners? Of course it is. You have no idea what Tesla's data says about how they should price the models to maximize demand.

I love when people who criticize Tesla immediately point to people being "fan boys" or "blindly accepting everything the company does" every time their logical fallacies are pointed out to them. I'm not a fan boy. I don't particularly care for Musk - I think he's not a great CEO and I think he gets too much credit for the work of others. I didn't really know much about Tesla before a couple of months ago when I started researching my next car. There seem to be significant issues with company communication and service (although I personally haven't had an issue) that concern me. The fact is your arguments are weak and you just want to either stir up trouble (since you just joined today) or you are an owner that thinks you're "owed" something, which is simply wrong.

Reactions: Galve2000 and Zorg
That is BS. Just because you have more money, does not mean it is less important to you. It just means you work harder. If anything, it would mean you value it more.

Well, I make enough money that my P3 was a “disposable money stash” purchase and I could have easily paid cash for the top spec “S” if I wanted to. I certainly care less about the few grand I just “lost” by buying the P3 at the wrong time than if I made just $100k/year. Also, I worked harder when I made less money when I was younger so I think it’s funny how some think making money strongly correlates with effort.

On the contrary, it's a tightrope. They have to lower prices to generate the demand to support the production levels where they can make money. What they absolutely cannot afford to do is sit tight on their pricing and expect to keep selling more cars.

The tough part is that ultimately they need to make that $35K car profitable.
They have massive worldwide demand and don’t have to sell to US buyers. The Model 3 doesn’t have to be profitable at $35,000 like that is a magic number. They still have more letters in the alphabet and can make a Model Z.

Last edited:
So you think that because a car has an MSRP of $35K, but really sells for say $27K on average, the residual value of the car is based on the $35K? It's not, because everyone in the secondary market knows that the real value of the new car is $27K.

Also, is it better for Tesla to hold any price drops until the future on the off chance it might cause a buyer to put off a purchase? What if the price drops can bring in 2 new buyers for every 1 that might wait for the next price drop? Isn't that better for the company, and by extension current owners? Of course it is. You have no idea what Tesla's data says about how they should price the models to maximize demand.

I love when people who criticize Tesla immediately point to people being "fan boys" or "blindly accepting everything the company does" every time their logical fallacies are pointed out to them. I'm not a fan boy. I don't particularly care for Musk - I think he's not a great CEO and I think he gets too much credit for the work of others. I didn't really know much about Tesla before a couple of months ago when I started researching my next car. There seem to be significant issues with company communication and service (although I personally haven't had an issue) that concern me. The fact is your arguments are weak and you just want to either stir up trouble (since you just joined today) or you are an owner that thinks you're "owed" something, which is simply wrong.

Thank you for educamating me! :)

It's a good thing people don't talk about the price they paid for a seat when sitting on the airplane.
I was going to bring this up. Thanks. We could be sitting in the same Starbucks on our separate mobile devices buying tickets on the same flight, same day, same row and pay different, if not wildly different prices.

I just got back from a round trip LAX to Italy with a family of four. Painful, very, very painful. Come back to all types of 50% off airfare offers, more painful, but I can only go forward, unless I can return the tripo_O?

Not losing sleep over it.

Reactions: KenC
The cars are great and I love the performance model 3, BUT

I bought my M3P+ in January for $73 000 (+taxes, delivery, etc) with FSD, white interior and white multicoat paint.

Today that car costs $62 000

Factor in my additional $1875 rebate and I've lost $9125 in 6 months, plus normal depreciation. Now tell me again about how my car is actually an appreciating asset

I like a lot of things about Tesla, but Musk's slimy sales tactics and compulsive lying are major issues with the company. I bought a Tesla believing in the vision and now I feel like a sucker who bought into a scam. I will definitely try hard to avoid buying a Tesla next time around. It's sad, but the brand has about the same prestige as VW to me at this point.
The
The cars are great and I love the performance model 3, BUT

I bought my M3P+ in January for $73 000 (+taxes, delivery, etc) with FSD, white interior and white multicoat paint.

Today that car costs $62 000

Factor in my additional $1875 rebate and I've lost $9125 in 6 months, plus normal depreciation. Now tell me again about how my car is actually an appreciating asset

I like a lot of things about Tesla, but Musk's slimy sales tactics and compulsive lying are major issues with the company. I bought a Tesla believing in the vision and now I feel like a sucker who bought into a scam. I will definitely try hard to avoid buying a Tesla next time around. It's sad, but the brand has about the same prestige as VW to me at this point.
The price drops are mildly irritating, but only because they are very public MSRP drops vs the elsewhere int he car industry where it is done at the dealer end. We own an M3 and an MX and we love both cars - generically buying a new car exposes you to big price drops and if that is not acceptable regardless of company you really should stay with used cars. Also simple fact is when we bought both of our Tesla's we looked for equivalent alternatives and they do not yet exist in my opinion - more choices are slowly arriving, but none have the Tesla experience wrt performance, range, utility, ecosystem and charging network. This dynamic won't last forever and when alternatives show up and we are buying again we will consider them seriously, but we may or may not stay with Tesla at that time. Elon is a showman without a doubt and sometimes lacks a reality filter without a doubt as well, but he has forced industry after industry to change - electronic payments and banking with Paypal, EVs with Tesla, Commercial Space with SpaceX .... An interview I read with Elon recently pointed out the Model S was introduced back in 2009, shipped in late 2011 early 2012 and he assumed other car companies would follow in 3 years or so. It is not until 2019/2020 that they may have a stable of vehicles that are competitive and I applaud that. For now I drive our Teslas and price drops are irrelevent as they are not investments despite Elon's statements (it's a car). I have owned Mercedes and the exact same issue wrt price (just not via MSRP) and I sit beside a friend dealing with the verbatim challenge on his wife's VW and his Porsche. My recommendation is to sell the car as this dynamic is likely to continue or drive the car if the utility and enjoyment is there and tune out the noise.

• Love
Reactions: SO16 and Joshan
No. If I purchase the new Mac Pro due this fall, it will cost about $50-60K equipped to my specifications (all the prices aren't out there yet). If I wait a year or two it will cost $40K. Back in the day, an SGI Octane cost about $50K fully equipped, but the price dropped over time as well. I don't see a difference here. If you wait, you can always purchase a high tech product for less. At some point the need for the functionality offered is at the point you want to pay for that functionality. Beating up on Tesla because they are a high tech product is kind of silly.
Hell, you go back to the SGI Octane days. Points all around for that. I used to sell those, and publishing systems, etc. back in the day, and the businesses that needed them, generally got their return on them too. Consumer computers are dirt cheap today. The new Mac Pro is an awesome machine, but not for a consumer web surfer.

Reactions: jerry33
Hell, you go back to the SGI Octane days. Points all around for that. I used to sell those, and publishing systems, etc. back in the day, and the businesses that needed them, generally got their return on them too. Consumer computers are dirt cheap today. The new Mac Pro is an awesome machine, but not for a consumer web surfer.
Cool! As I recall I got about 90% back on what I paid for the Indy when I upgraded to the Octane. Both of which I owe for getting me where I am today.

Reactions: Camera-Cruiser
The price i paid for my Model 3 Performance loaded a couple months back is what the prices are at now. The difference is I got mine as a demo. So yea I am a bit disappointed i didn't get a new one. But this is Tesla. They keep changing things around almost every month. But what can I do. I got sucked into it.

Cool! As I recall I got about 90% back on what I paid for the Indy when I upgraded to the Octane. Both of which I owe for getting me where I am today.

Not to derail the discussion, but I can't tell you how many big iron servers - i.e. Sun Starfire/E10k's, I either bought as a customer or sold as a partner that have nothing more than scrap value today.

I guess that's part of me thing with Tesla too - I live in the tech world and if you think a car depreciates quickly, buy a server or storage sometime ...

Reactions: jerry33
I did figure that in. Still underwater vs buying new.
You bought a new car. They tend to depreciate the minute you drive them off the lot. Just a reality of life. If that's difficult to accept, you should just buy used cars that have already depreciated (although they will continue to depreciate).

And per your headline (Price cuts hurt owners) that's not exactly accurate, and shouldn't be an issue unless you're planning on selling your car. Just enjoy the car that you bought at a price you were OK with, and realize that "price cuts help buyers"

The price i paid for my Model 3 Performance loaded a couple months back is what the prices are at now. The difference is I got mine as a demo. So yea I am a bit disappointed i didn't get a new one. But this is Tesla. They keep changing things around almost every month. But what can I do. I got sucked into it.
But you also had several months of enjoyment with it that current buyers did not.