Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Price Drop Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s not what the data shows ..... the vehicles that are for sale, are selling at reasonable prices.

But don’t let data get in the way of a good rant. LOL
People who bought those used cars were clueless. When they realize they could have bought new cars for the same price they will come on this board and rant. Lol.
And eBay sales fall thru a lot of times.

Nah, no blowback at all.... but I’d disagree with the notion that it’s “big” on the used circuit. Popular, yes. In demand, absolutely. Massive supply of them? Hardly. In fact, I see very few - relatively speaking, of course - on the market.

For comparison sake ... my previous vehicle was a Cadillac XT5. Caddy sells ~60k of them per year. Top seller for Cadillac. Been on the market since 2016. Cumulative sales, about 160k thru 2018.

We know Tesla has sold over 250,000 Model 3’s since inception. So there’s more of them out there than XT5’s.

Now, go to (carvana, Carmax, etc) and see how many used XT5’s you find vis-a-vie Model 3’s.

It’s anecdotal, but I’d say nobody’s dumping their 3. :)

View attachment 432369
I drove a Cadillac exactly once in my life, I was sent to Chicago to salvage a sales. I spent my career in software engineering. The only car they had left was a big ass Caddy. I am much more acclimated to mid size, Prelude, A4, etc. I am grateful I didn't total it. Way different geometry than I was used to. Oh...ditto with the Model 3. It's predecessors since 2005 were Priuses, 05,08,12. Consequently I am still constantly misjudging where the curb is. I've never had tire/rim rash. I do use AS even on back roads.
I am sure it's still on here but back months ago someone did a survey of orderers by age range. I was surprised the number of 18-25 and, frankly, 26-39. 18-25 is a sucker's bet, they don't know money yet and still make stupid decisions. Oh, you're not in that age group...right? In the 26-39 that's first home, kids, student loans and the M3 even with a low interest rate, that can really bite you. So my comment was mostly related to the purchases who bought way over their disposable income or reliable income. And for anyone reading this coming to a slow boil, I didn't mean you. :)

People who bought those used cars were clueless. When they realize they could have bought new cars for the same price they will come on this board and rant. Lol.
And eBay sales fall thru a lot of times.

Same story as above is playing out at eBay, Carvana, Cars.com, etc.

Go check a local lot - if you can find a model 3 - and see what the ASP is.

Here’s one more. LR RWD. $46,500. Cars.com says 90% change gone inside 9 days. Then, I’m done doing actual homework. Maybe if folks spent the time actually doing their homework instead of whining, they’d see the tempest in the teapot. Model 3 is hot; resell prices are very high.

Again, don’t let facts get in the way of a rant. Much ado about nothing.

81CDC3EC-1EB2-4FAB-B503-2AF1AB182270.png

Same story as above is playing out at eBay, Carvana, Cars.com, etc.

Go check a local lot - if you can find a model 3 - and see what the ASP is.

Here’s one more. LR RWD. $46,500. Cars.com says 90% change gone inside 9 days. Then, I’m done doing actual homework. Maybe if folks spent the time actually doing their homework instead of whining, they’d see the tempest in the teapot. Model 3 is hot; resell prices are very high.

Again, don’t let facts get in the way of a rant. Much ado about nothing.

View attachment 432410
They don't actually make the sell at those prices after the Tesla lowered the prices unless the buyers are clueless.
I guess the clueless buyers exist in every market for any product. In that sense the demand includes the clueless victims.

I drove a Cadillac exactly once in my life, I was sent to Chicago to salvage a sales. I spent my career in software engineering. ....
Oh, you're not in that age group...right? In the 26-39 that's first home, kids, student loans and the M3 even with a low interest rate, that can really bite you

So to be clear ... XT5 is a midsize SUV. Mine was a top shelf Platinum edition, every feature they offered, I had. Modern Cadillacs - since the 2010’s or so - handle every bit as tight as their German equivalents. Frankly, the Model 3 is a downgrade in several ways ... especially price. My LR AWD was almost $19k less than the XT5. Beyond pleased - the Model 3 is unbelievable for its price.

And I’m (sadly) in neither age range above. Sorry to burst your bubble ...

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
They don't actually make the sell at those prices after the Tesla lowered the prices unless the buyers are clueless.
I guess the clueless buyers exist in every market for any product. In that sense the demand includes the clueless victims.

Again, go check someone who has access to ASPs. They absolutely are selling at those prices, or within a few dollars thereof. There has been NO massive devaluation. Hasn’t happened. Period.

I bailed from the waitlist about 18 months ago and purchased a Honda Clarity to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit. At some point, I’ll buy a Tesla and am waiting for the right time. As a buyer, all the changes are confusing and makes it difficult to determine whether to wait or purchase now. When the lease price dropped to $399, I was initially excited until I realized they increased the down payment to $4,500. Has anyone noticed they dropped the lease down payment to $3,500 and monthly price did not change? When you take into account the lower tax credit, leasing may be looking like a more viable option.

My only other hesitations are we take about 3 trips per year of about 800 miles one way and that I live in Central PA, far away from a service center.

I bailed from the waitlist about 18 months ago and purchased a Honda Clarity to take advantage of the $7,500 tax credit. At some point, I’ll buy a Tesla and am waiting for the right time. As a buyer, all the changes are confusing and makes it difficult to determine whether to wait or purchase now. When the lease price dropped to $399, I was initially excited until I realized they increased the down payment to $4,500. Has anyone noticed they dropped the lease down payment to $3,500 and monthly price did not change? When you take into account the lower tax credit, leasing may be looking like a more viable option.

My only other hesitations are we take about 3 trips per year of about 800 miles one way and that I live in Central PA, far away from a service center.
In March, I would have leased my car instead of purchasing if 4500 down 399/mo was available.

1. Battery keeps degrading
2. Technology keeps advancing at a faster rate than ICE.

It’s hard to know what goes through the minds of used car buyers. Some may be tempted to go for the lower price up front rather than waiting for rebates and tax credits down the road.

Of course a smart buyer would realize they can effectively take the tax credit immediately by reducing their withholdings throughout the year by the amount of the credit. But I suppose not everyone thinks those things through all that carefully.

One definite advantage of used is there is no $1,200 destination fee, which we often forget to add in to the new car pricing when comparing new to used. And used will have a slightly lower tax bill since you are only taxed on the actual purchase price, not the net price after credits.

• Helpful
Reactions: Leafdriver333
I strongly considered it until I read Leasehackr’s analysis of the terms. Could you expand further on your technology comment, especially since you just purchased in March? Thanks!

Charging speed is increasing. Battery's operating temperatures are widening. Efficiency of powertrain is improving. Wireless charging is in development. In 3 years, who knows what will be the norm for EV ranges, charging speed, and degradation?

Last edited:
Reactions: HappyValley

Keep in mind though, on a Model 3 lease, there is no option to buy out the lease. It's one (term) and done.

That's... not really what happened though...

The current GM Financial is a company that GM bought in 2010 and renamed. AFAIK they never went bankrupt and never took any bailout money.

You're thinking of GMs old finance company GMAC.

But even then your story isn't what happened-

By the time the government bailed out GMAC in 2008 they were no longer majority owned by GM at all... GM having sold majority control to a private equity firm in 2006 to raise cash.

Further, the government ended up selling their shares of GMAC (renamed to Ally) post-bailout for 14.7 billion, and got another 4.9 billion in dividends and other income during their ownership...meaning the government got back 19.6 billion after only having bailed them out for 17.2 billion total.

Thank you for the detailed and informative reply. I try to own things when I’m wrong or miss significant details.

Are you kidding. This is a pissy I paid to much and Tesla screwed me thread. They let these fester as long as they can.
What? Nobody, that I've read, has gone into the gutter. I've read no profanity. I've lost count of the number of new cars I've purchased at 15. I've never seen the wild price fluctuations in any other car until I bought the Model 3. This is insane. I suspect it has gone self defeating as who will pay that kind of money if waiting a week or a month will, potentially, save them several thousand dollars. Yes, prices drop, they drop as soon as it's titled, they drop w/mileage, they drop with newer models. They drop, as the Prius Plugin did when Chevy came out with the Volt for $10,000 less. Have we beaten this thread to death? Maybe, but people still post. So long as it's civil, why should moderators get involved?

What? Nobody, that I've read, has gone into the gutter. I've read no profanity. I've lost count of the number of new cars I've purchased at 15. I've never seen the wild price fluctuations in any other car until I bought the Model 3. This is insane. I suspect it has gone self defeating as who will pay that kind of money if waiting a week or a month will, potentially, save them several thousand dollars. Yes, prices drop, they drop as soon as it's titled, they drop w/mileage, they drop with newer models. They drop, as the Prius Plugin did when Chevy came out with the Volt for $10,000 less. Have we beaten this thread to death? Maybe, but people still post. So long as it's civil, why should moderators get involved?
My point is last week right after the price drop I started a post saying I was excited about the change and how it made the purchase more affordable as I will be buying before the end of the year. After receiving some agreeing posts and being slammed by many others my post was locked and moved to general posts. This one however, where the OP presents a negative outlook that is like blood in the water where all those who have hate and discontent for their purchase vomit their responses all over Tesla and the internet. Frankly it seems to be that if you complain. About Tesla or are unhappy your post thrives, where as my post proclaiming my excitement about my future car becoming a closer reality, got closed. That’s what I mean. Just look for instance at the post where the OP talks about suing Tesla for the price drop. Huge. Yet try and be happy in your post and it gets locked out.

Just look for instance at the post where the OP talks about suing Tesla for the price drop.
I'm retired. So as you might expect, I have a lot of time on my hands. I have a couple of observations.
1) this is subject to change depending on my mood. I've gotten way better about blowing off comments where people go hysterical. Between on here and Twitter (I don't even have a FaceBook account) the sheer number of people going hysterical is mind numbing.
2) Your observation is largely correct. It used to be "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", now it's "the squeaky wheel gets the likes". Our society's civility has taken a huge turn to the south. I think it's now gotten to the point of self fulfilling prophecy. We got people going into the local Walmart brandishing AR-15s and side arms. And our verbal/written discourse isn't any better at times. And yes, I realize this goes straight to your point about moderators. But I didn't get the sense this was going off the rails. I think, under more options, there is a 'report' button if you really feel offended. Another option is go to that person's profile, by clicking on their icon and ignore them. I think the inherent danger is people wait too long to that and they become tempted to or do respond in kind. And, yes, I've been guilty of that in the past. I do try to be better....largely because there is only so much outrage I can tolerate, in others or myself.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if they include $6-8k worth of FSD and just raise the price of the car $2-3k.
Or, include $2-3K worth of FSD and raise the car price by $6k-$8k. I've also seen tweets where once FSD is GA, the price will dramatically rise, hence 'appreciating asset'. What Tesla will do in 6-18 months or what Musk will do, who knows. I suspect their view changes on a daily basis. Who knows, perhaps Musk will get bored with Tesla and concentrate on a Mars shot.

• Funny
Reactions: raptor5244