Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Rivian news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something to ponder about new EV startups: Tesla will probably be unique for the foreseeable future. No other automaker has ever absorbed 17 consecutive red years (12 years of retail sales annual losses) no matter how large or small. Rivian will probably not be able to survive 5 retail red years, so they need to get it right quickly.

Rivian hasn't had any problem raising money. And they have a big commercial truck order from one of their investors (Amazon). I think Rivian has room to stumble and still survive. Assuming they actually get product out the door, that is. Whether Rivian will still be around in 10-15 years is an open question.

Rivian hasn't had any problem raising money. And they have a big commercial truck order from one of their investors (Amazon). I think Rivian has room to stumble and still survive. Assuming they actually get product out the door, that is. Whether Rivian will still be around in 10-15 years is an open question.

Rational investors do not throw good money after bad. Amazon won't endlessly fund a loser.

Rivian is making progress. I've pulled their permit history from the Normal, IL town website and you can see the work that's being done in the factory, as well as how far along they're coming on permitted builds. There are dollar figures associated with much of the work as well, so it's transparent where they're spending money.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Rational investors do not throw good money after bad. Amazon won't endlessly fund a loser.
Your previous scenario falls short of being an example of throwing bad money after good, or endlessly funding a loser.

Thanks to Tesla, a company like Rivian has a long leash.

However, I do hope there those that still apply more conventional valuations. My retirement thanks them for their shortsightedness!

Just got the following in an email from Rivian Forum:

If you haven't already seen, we're happy to share the long awaited news that the Rivian online configurator will go live on November 16!

The notice is now displayed on the Rivian homepage and the configurator will be available for Rivian preorder holders.

Btw, is that the best Rivian discussion forum?

Couple of things. First, Rivian's website is now showing a bunch of details about the R1S and R1T. Reservation holders today got an email stating we'd be able to start configuring on Monday. Deliveries for the R1T starts in June 2021 and R1S in August 2021.

Second, IF the Cybertruck delivers 240V outlets as is suggested, it'll beat out the R1T, which is showing this for electrical output:

R1T outlets.jpg

And Rivian's marketing people don't seem to know that the US electrical grid standardized on 120V about a hundred years ago. Also, saying 110V without stating amps or power is pretty useless. Any SUV/Truck worth their salt these days has a 120V power outlet, but it is usually restricted to something lame like 200 watts.

I'll paste the info that Rivian sent me as a reservation holder in the next post.

Um, didn't realize that all this info below is on the public website here: Time to Build - Rivian Stories

Oh well, the info below will be a good archive if/when Rivian changes things.

-----

It's time to build an Electric Adventure Vehicle exactly the way you want it. Our configurator is going live. Choose your color, interior, battery range, wheels and tires, even add a camp kitchen. There are also updates on new features, pricing, equipment packages and more.

You can also reserve a Launch Edition — a special, limited configuration marking our launch — with R1T deliveries starting in June 2021 and R1S in August 2021.
Preorder holders get special early access to configurator to make your selections:

upload_2020-11-11_19-14-22.png

LAUNCH EDITION
The first Electric Adventure Vehicles on the road will be our Launch Edition — a special release of the R1T and R1S available in 2021. For preorder holders interested in Launch Edition, it's important to visit the configurator during early access to reserve one since supply will be limited. Deliveries will start next year and will be based on your original preorder date, delivery location and configuration.

Signed with special interior badging with an optional Launch Green color choice, Launch Edition is equipped with our 300+ mile pack and premium Adventure Package (more details on Adventure Package below). With Launch Edition, you're also able to select upgraded wheels and tires at no additional cost.

U.S. deliveries for R1T Launch Edition start in June 2021, followed by R1S Launch Edition in August 2021. Canadian deliveries for both vehicles will begin in November 2021.
upload_2020-11-11_19-14-50.png

EQUIPMENT PACKAGES
There are two equipment packages to choose from in our configurator — Adventure and Explore. Both utilize the same drivetrain and deliver uncompromising performance and handling in all conditions with quad-motor drive, independent air suspension, active damping and electro-hydraulic roll control.

In addition to being capable, both equipment packages are designed to also keep you comfortable and connected. A panoramic all-glass roof, vegan leather seating, WiFi and 4G capability for over-the-air updates are included in both Adventure and Explore. There’s also a 1000-lumen flashlight in the driver’s side door, just in case.

ADVENTURE PACKAGE
The Adventure Package — which is included in Launch Edition — comes standard with our Off-Road Upgrade featuring a reinforced underbody shield and on-board air compressor. In the R1T, the Adventure Package adds functionality to the bed by including a powered tonneau cover and our Gear Guard remote monitoring system.

The Adventure Package features our premium interior with heated and cooled perforated vegan leather seats, natural-grained ash wood throughout the cabin and our immersive Rivian Elevation 360° audio system with removable Bluetooth speaker.

R1T and R1S deliveries with the Adventure Package that are not part of Launch Edition will begin in January 2022.

upload_2020-11-11_19-16-51.png

EXPLORE PACKAGE
With the Explore Package, a sport interior features matte black finishes throughout the cabin with heated, performance-stitched vegan leather seating. A surround sound audio system is also included. In the R1T, there’s a manual tonneau cover that stores easily in the Gear Tunnel. The panels are also designed to lock together to double as a camp table.

R1T and R1S deliveries with the Explore Package will begin in January 2022.

upload_2020-11-11_19-16-25.png

BATTERY SELECTION
At launch, every R1T and R1S comes with our 300+ mile pack. We are leading with this pack based on its optimal balance of range, performance and price.

For R1T, our 400+ mile pack will be available starting in January 2022. Initially, the R1S will only be available with our 300+ mile pack. A longer range R1S with both five- and seven-passenger seating will be announced following start of production. We will also announce our 250+ mile range, lower priced R1T and R1S at that time.

RIVIAN DRIVER+
Rivian Driver+ is standard on every vehicle we build. Delivering true hands-free driving assistance along with our full set of safety features, the system continually adds functionality through over-the-air updates. By making Driver+ standard, our goal is to make driving safer, easier and less stressful for everyone.

With the system engaged, your Rivian will automatically steer, adjust speed, and change lanes on your command. Enabled on select highways at launch, more road types will be introduced through over-the-air updates. Like all driver assistance systems available today, Driver+ requires your full attention on the road at all times and you should not use a hand-held device behind the wheel.

Driver+ is powered by two redundant compute platforms, 12 ultrasonic sensors, 10 exterior cameras, 5 radars and high precision GPS. An interior camera monitoring for driver alertness adds an extra layer of safety. Every Rivian vehicle will include our complete hardware package and all Driver+ enhancements will be provided over-the-air at no expense. More information on features and limitations will be in the Rivian operator’s guide.

ELECTRIC ADVENTURE AWAITS
Preorder holders will receive an email on Monday, November 16 to unlock early access to the configurator. Once you're at the configurator, if you're planning to switch models, you can do so at this time. Configuring a vehicle requires no additional money or commitment, your deposit is still fully refundable, and you can continue making changes and updates. In fact, we'll be adding accessories and additional vehicle content in the coming months, so you can continue building. Exact delivery dates will come next year and will be based on your original preorder date, delivery location and configuration.

Visit our updated website for more detail and information on the R1T and R1S. There's also a side-by-side comparison of our equipment packages and a deeper dive on our Launch Edition limited release.

We'll also be sharing more in the months ahead on our comprehensive mobile service program, vehicle test drives and the Rivian Adventure Network — our nationwide network of fast-charging stations capable of adding up to 140 miles of range in 20 minutes. There are many exciting things happening.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-11_19-15-35.png
    upload_2020-11-11_19-15-35.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
And Rivian's marketing people don't seem to know that the US electrical grid standardized on 120V about a hundred years ago. Also, saying 110V without stating amps or power is pretty useless. Any SUV/Truck worth their salt these days has a 120V power outlet, but it is usually restricted to something lame like 200 watts.
Agreed, but I'll say this - the 110/120 confusion is a really common mistake and one that I see repeated often.

Importantly, you're right. I'd prefer to know the amperage available, or it's useless. I could use a cigarette lighter inverter to get 200W.

As far as 120V vs 240V, I foresee very little, if any, use for the latter so it doesn't phase me. The pricing looks reasonable enough, or at least within expected range, so I am still planning to configure.

Agreed, but I'll say this - the 110/120 confusion is a really common mistake and one that I see repeated often.

Importantly, you're right. I'd prefer to know the amperage available, or it's useless. I could use a cigarette lighter inverter to get 200W.

As far as 120V vs 240V, I foresee very little, if any, use for the latter so it doesn't phase me. The pricing looks reasonable enough, or at least within expected range, so I am still planning to configure.

Faze, not phase. About 240V, both the Cybertruck and the Hybrid F-150 have/will have 240V. Many contractors lug around a portable generator for job site power, and it would useful to have that built into the truck since it is capable of it. Then again, Rivian isn't positioning their R1T for job sites, so make sense they aren't providing it.

I am trying to decide between the R1T launch edition or Explore edition. The only feature on the launch edition I care about is the reinforced underbody and getting it sooner. OTH it might be wise to see how the launch edition does and let others work out some kinks. But the non logical brain wants it NOW!

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman